SASS Wire Forum

C.A.S. and S.A.S.S are seperate right?

Marshal Max Henry

I see a lot of talk about old days rules and differant category and such, it has brought up a question for me....Ist there a distinction between C.A.S. and S.A.S.S? CAS is less "Gamey" I guess you would call it than SASS? or am I missing something? Is CAS just a generic term or is it a Club?

Much Obliged for the help.

CAS or C.A.S. is Cowboy Action Shooting. This is what we do.

SASS or S.A.S.S. is Single Action Shooting Society. This is the main organization we belong to if we want to shoot state championships and higher.

CAS or C.A.S. is Cowboy Action Shooting. This is what we do.

SASS or S.A.S.S. is Single Action Shooting Society. This is the main organization we belong to if we want to shoot state championships and higher.

There are about 600 SASS affiliated clubs, a bit more than just state championship matches. These clubs agree to abide by SASS rules to carry the SASS label.

SASS is to CAS as MLB is to baseball. There are no CAS rules, but there are SASS rules. Even many clubs that are not formally SASS affiliated shoot using SASS rules by choice.

You might say, "All SASS is CAS, but not all CAS is SASS."

You might, but technically you would be wrong. SASS holds a trademark on Cowboy Action Shooting and therefor, technically, All CAS is SASS, but all SASS is not CAS.

You might, but technically you would be wrong. SASS holds a trademark on Cowboy Action Shooting and therefor, technically, All CAS is SASS, but all SASS is not CAS.

I thought the trademark "CAS" had reverted to the public domain?

Howdy

We sometimes tend to use the two terms interchangeably, but you get the idea. CAS is simply Cowboy Action Shooting. It is the name of the sport.

SASS is the Single Action Shooting Society. The Single Action Shooting Society is a for profit corporation. It is the governing body that regulates what we do when we shoot. Single Action Shooting Society is actually a trademarked name. If you look on the SASS home page you will also see that SASS claims Cowboy Action Shooting is also a trademarked name. Although there are several other groups that also shoot cowboy style matches, like NCOWS.

I thought the trademark "CAS" had reverted to the public domain?

If it has, it has not been updated on the SASS home page. The little TM follows the words Cowboy Action Shooting.

Cowboy Action Shooting is what we do. SASS is the game we play.

Other CAS games:

SASS-Mounted Shooting division

SASS- Wild Bunch division

National Congress of Old West Shootist - COWS - http://www.ncows.org/

Western 3 Gun - http://www.deadwoodboys.org/

Cowboy Fastdraw Association - http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/

Cowboy Lever Action Rifle Silhouette - http://www.lasc.us/LASClevermatch.htm

Jefro :wacko: Relax-Enjoy

Just to add to the confusion...

SASS is a sanctioning body, the Single Action Shooting Society. It makes rules and 'sanctions' (or authorizes) matches run by member clubs that are conducted according to Rules and Procedures defined by SASS. This is what sanctioning bodies do; the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and AMA (American Motorcycle Association) are sanctioning bodies for auto racing and motorcycle racing, for example.

CAS, or Cowboy Action Shooting, is a sport (or Game if you prefer) defined by a set of rules and procedures defined by SASS. WBAS, or Wild Bunch Action Shooting, is another sport/game defined by SASS. For an analogue, consider that SCCA sanctions closed circuit auto racing as one sport, but they also sanction timed Rally events run outdoors. These are different motor sports, much like CAS and WBAS are different shooting sports, not just different categories within the same competition.

It does not help at all that posters here frequently uses the terms SASS and CAS as though they mean the same thing, they do not! Nor does it help that some discuss (and apparently, treat) Wild Bunch as though it were a category...it is not, it is a separate shooting discipline!

If it has, it has not been updated on the SASS home page. The little TM follows the words Cowboy Action Shooting.

"Cowboy Action Shooting" is a trademarked product of SASS. It is the 'SASS branded' cowboy shooting game, and others cannot use the trademark. The acronym CAS may no longer be trademarked, but the phrase is the brand name.

NCOWS may do something similar, but it is not "Cowboy Action Shooting" any more than Coke is Pepsi, or McDonald's is Wendy's.

AMA cannot be trademarked, but both "American Medical Association" and "American Motorcycle Association" are trademarked brands.

Hope this helps,

TMM

SASS started CAS

and thank the creator of all kinds for that

there-4

SASS had the trademark, once upon a time for CAS

since then

other CAS venues formed

I think they sued over the TM

not sure

dont threaten ta sue me, or not talk to me

SASS -- CAS

SASS -- Mounted shooting

SASS -- Wild Bunch

"Cowboy Action Shooting" is a trademarked product of SASS. It is the 'SASS branded' cowboy shooting game, and others cannot use the trademark. The acronym CAS may no longer be trademarked, but the phrase is the brand name.

NCOWS may do something similar, but it is not "Cowboy Action Shooting" any more than Coke is Pepsi, or McDonald's is Wendy's.

AMA cannot be trademarked, but both "American Medical Association" and "American Motorcycle Association" are trademarked brands.

Hope this helps,

TMM

All you a freakin lawyer?

:blink:

LOL, no but maybe I've been spending too much time around Lawyers!! Sure beats spending money ON them, though! :ph34r:

Sorry, in my job I find it necessary to use extremely precise language...reckon I might over-done it there!

LOL, no but maybe I've been spending too much time around Lawyers!! Sure beats spending money ON them, though! :ph34r:

Sorry, in my job I find it necessary to use extremely precise language...reckon I might over-done it there!

Yer good at it...after readin yer posts I started looking around for them little yellow post-it note arrows so'z I'd know where to sign.

"Cowboy Action Shooting" is a trademarked product of SASS.

According to The US Patent Trademark Office

http://tess2.uspto.gov/

the trademark has been DEAD since 2007.

I wasn't gonna say a word :ph34r: . Trade Mark or not, when speaking in general terms we think of cowboy action shooting as encompassing a number shooting venues including NCOWS, CFDA, W3G..SASS....etc...etc.....Just check out CASCity and you'll find a bunch of different cowboy action shooting forums. I wonder what the CAS stands for in CASCity :P:P

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

the trademark has been DEAD since 2007.

Well, then somebody ought to take the little 'TM' off of the words Cowboy Action Shooting on the SASS home page.

Home Page

Now, now Phantom. One of the nicest, most reasonable folks who attended the TG summit is a lawyer.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Yeah maybeso, but the other 99% give him a bad name.

I know this topic had more than run its course and totally confused everyone. But, if you think we were confused, check out this quote that I just stumbled on from Bob Mernickle's web site.

This system was designed in a joint effort by World Cowboy Action Champion” Evil Roy” and World Fast Draw champion “Bob Mernickle” When SASS introduced the Wild bunch category for the “Cowboy Action Shooting Society

Archived