SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmith for An Old Model Marlin 1894

Uno Mas  SASS #80082

A pard in another board is having problems with his Marlin 1894 in 32-20. The extractor is pulling the spent case from the chamber, but the ejector is apparently not kicking the brass out of the port. Sounds like a bad ejector to me, but.... This is the old production Marlin 1894, which share few parts with the current 1894.

The rifle seems to be a bit of a heirloom, so he wants to get it to a good gunsmith with experience with the old warriors. Any advice or recommendations? source for the old parts?

Thanx!

A pard in another board is having problems with his Marlin 1894 in 32-20. The extractor is pulling the spent case from the chamber, but the ejector is apparently not kicking the brass out of the port. Sounds like a bad ejector to me, but.... This is the old production Marlin 1894, which share few parts with the current 1894.

The rifle seems to be a bit of a heirloom, so he wants to get it to a good gunsmith with experience with the old warriors. Any advice or recommendations? source for the old parts?

Thanx!

Sounds like a bad breech bolt face. The bolt face is rebated so the rim of the spent cart. is suported on the left side while the extractor holds it as it's moving back toward the ejector. If the area there on the left side is worn away the extractor won't hold it. A simple test is to remove the bolt and hook a spent cart under the extractor to see if the rim will stay in place.

Here is an old 32-20 Marlin I rebuilt for a feller. It had the same problem.

1909 MARLIN 1894

A pard in another board is having problems with his Marlin 1894 in 32-20. The extractor is pulling the spent case from the chamber, but the ejector is apparently not kicking the brass out of the port. Sounds like a bad ejector to me, but.... wut da hell do I know? This is the old production Marlin 1894, which share few parts with the current 1894.

Fixed it! :blink:

Guys on the other board extend their thanks!

Steve always has such swell toys!!!

Coffinmaker

And you're probably not far behind him.....hehehe

Anyhow, I'm jealous of both of ye.

..........Widder

It's a very special little gun with some really neat history but it's not mine. I just rebuilt it for the grandson. The neat history is he had me rebuild it for his dad because it was a family gun that his dad's father the granddad had to give to a water well driller to help pay for a new well. Fifty years later the grandson manages to get it back and we rebuilt it to surpise his dad. I felt really honored to be a part of it.

Archived