SASS Wire Forum

What Single Action pistols are available

Come On Christmas

I never should have sold my Ruger which still is probably the best option, but what else be out there?

I sawr the Heritage 32, but I dunno that I like it.

Shameless

A very viable option for someone as eclectic as you would be a Nagant. There are instructions available to turn it into a single action. While not an H&R Mag, there are cylinders available for shooting 32 ACP.

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS

The following additional firearms have been approved for use:

• Small frame Model P revolvers such as the Cimarron Firearms Lightning, Uberti Stallion,

and Ruger Single Six .32 H & R Magnum.

• Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories).

• US Firearms Omni Potent Revolver.

• Marlin 1894 Tube Feed Rifle—.32 H&R Magnum.

Original or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/...cts_id/1059?SID

The little Heritage pistols really aren't that bad. They can be a little stiff out of the box (a common refrain with new guns) but they do smooth out OK. I suppose if you're ambitious you could do some polishing & spring work to lighten them up further. The safety on the recoil shield isn't obtrusive at all, and is actually a pretty clever design. I picked up a pair a few years ago and am pretty happy with them. Good little back-up guns, or a good choice for a shooter with small hands or who is recoil sensitive.

Reloading the 32 H&R is about as economical as you can get too. Even max loads use a pixie dust amount of powder, and the other components are incredibly inexpensive. I think I spent more on dies than I did for 500 pieces of brass.

Shameless

I have used the Ruger 32 for the past 8 years and find it exceptional in performance - and the best thing about it is the way it handles and feels in your hand........

Of course it really depends on the size of your hand...........and length of your fingers..........

Regards.........Wolf

A very viable option for someone as eclectic as you would be a Nagant. There are instructions available to turn it into a single action. While not an H&R Mag, there are cylinders available for shooting 32 ACP.

The Nagant is a facinating pistol, and it is fun to shoot. The only differnce between the SA and DA versions is one small part that can be removed in about 1 minute. It is the only DA pistol that can be legally converted to SA mode for SASS, as the DA with the part removed is now essentially identical to the SA version.

It is also the only revolver that will work with a silencer.

With regard to the conversion cylinders...

I have one.

I even had the chambers modifed so it could take .32 H&R Magnum as well as the .32 ACP.

(And, since it can run the Magnum, it can run the .32 S&W Long which is what I used in it)

BUT, even after having my gunsmith play with it for a while, the conversion cylinder never worked *quite* right. It would often bind on cocking.

So, I broke down and got the Lee dies that let you reload .32-20 Brass to the Nagant dimensions. Never had a problem since, but you do have to use wadcutter bullets. (And it works just as well with Remmington as it does Starline brass.)

I have 6 of the Ruger .32 H&R mags with "moderately tuned" triggers and jeweled actions: 2 pair of stainless birdsheads with black grips, and a pair of case colored with ivory grips. I love them, but I've barely used 4 of them (case colored are unfired, stainless pair have less than 30rnds thru each) I've used ONE pair of my stainless guns quite a bit, a blast to shoot...

I'm a .44mag shooter normally (vaqueros), I'm not entirely certain why I picked up the .32's, but they're surely something! Every now and then I get a hair to put them up for sale, but something holds me back. Such a shame to just have them sitting around without getting played with!

Guest diablo slim shootist

Shamless there is a guy selling 2 Ruger 32 for $375 a piece on gun broker

from Seguin Texas. sounds like a good deal to me! Diablo :blink:

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS

The following additional firearms have been approved for use:

• Small frame Model P revolvers such as the Cimarron Firearms Lightning, Uberti Stallion,

and Ruger Single Six .32 H & R Magnum.

• Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories).

• US Firearms Omni Potent Revolver.

• Marlin 1894 Tube Feed Rifle—.32 H&R Magnum.

Original or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/...cts_id/1059?SID

Eclectic! Someone who finally understands me!

The Nagants would look so good with my "Party" hat, huh Slim?

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/s...ess54/photo.jpg

Shameless Womanizer, AKA Colonel Angus

I have removed that small part from two DA Nagants. You still must be in sequence with the hammer and trigger, because the trigger pull advances the cylinder(but doesn't cock the hammer). If I can change that fact, thesec will be great back up guns.

Amen on that Nagant. I like the idea of shooting those in SASS, just for the sake of being different! What's the process like, converting one to single action?

Here is a step by step guide, with pictures.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic...p;view=previous

The Nagant was the first gun I bought on my C&R cuz it was so cheap. The DA trigger pull is heavy, but servicable.

Cocking it SA is not so bad, and while the SA trigger is still heavier than what most are probably used to in their revolvers, it's not too different from my GI 1911.

A bizzare gun to be sure. Always gets some odd looks when I take mine to a shoot. And, of course, the inevitable, "is that a DA pistol?" To which I smile and say, "Nope. It's a Nagant."

If I ever do move to NH next year, which I hope to do, I just might look into getting a silencer for the thing. Just because.

• 5 weeks later...
Is the Nagant round an exception to the SASS rule of no projectile loaded below the case rim?

Or is it not ??

From a previous inquiry on the TG Wire:

On page 10 of the latest edition of the Shooter's Handbook under "OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS", the last bullet says, "Original or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver."

Does this refer to the Russian Nagant Model 1895 revolver?

YES. Specific approval was required as it is a 7-shot centerfire revolver.

This revolver uses a unique cartridge that has the bullet recessed inside the cartridge case. I think Fiocchi is the only company loading this round.

(see THIS ARTICLE on the 7.62x38mmR)

On page 12 of the Shooter's Handbook under "AMMUNITION", the 4th bullet says, "Ammunition with bullets recessed below the case mouth is disallowed."

Is the Nagant exempt?

YES...7.62x38mmR ammo would be exempt as it it proprietary to the approved firearm.

There are replacement cylinders available that use the .32 ACP, but is this an acceptable modification?

YES.

To further confuse the picture, there is the 7.5 mm Swedish Nagant revolver. This revolver dates from 1887 and uses a 105 grain bullet that has the bullet seated outside the cartridge case.

Probably NOT covered under the "approval"...the Swedish Nagant is a Double Action revolver...it would depend on whether it is as easily converted to SA as the DA version of the Russian (which, IIRC, was the only model "on the table" when the allowance was considered)

I bought an Iversk (sp?) manufactured Nagant Pistol. I will get the Tula version soon. I like the Commie Star.

I am collecting as many of the guns shot at my father in Korea that I can. I have the Mosin-Nagant rifle. Later I will buy the Tokarev semi auto pistol.

I bet it will shoot black powder 32 longs pretty clean. I have some short dog 32's loaded in black powder and H&R Mags as well.

Shameless

Archived