SASS Wire Forum

Tell me about it

Buck D. Law, SASS #62183

Someone had listed a link to this 1873 Beretta Renegade rifle in the classifieds and I had not seen one of these. I'm not looking for a rifle, but I thought I'd ask those who are in the know about this. Is it the same as other Uberti rifles internally? I assume so, but you know what they say about assuming. :blush: Also, I've not seen factory stock checkering on a straight stock rifle. I noted that it does not appear to be color case hardened (or fake) like a carbine.

Whatta ya know? Tell me about it.

Basically an Uberti in a pretty dress. :blush: Comes with a factory short stroke that works, but can still benefit from some tuning. The shotgun butt is a plus for some, and the bright blue finish is authentic to the way Winchester finished most standard 1873s. It's a bit more expensive than the plain Uberti, but if you can get one at the same price, it's a good deal. I know a couple of folks who have purchased the Beretta links, and feel they are better than the available short stroke kits. Just passing the info along......... :blink:

I purchased one last summer 20 inch barrel, blued, rubber butt pad, 357, straight checkered stock.

It has a weird stamped in the tang. Which reads....

A. Uberti......

I replace the carrier springs with the piano wire ones are, or what ever the springs that ride on the lever.

Lightened the spring, got the lightweight for the lever safety.

Did a small amount of stoning to the action.

Bought it as a backup to my pioneer gunworks 73.

Almost as smooth as that rifle.

Plus it was $820 delivered.....

A friend of mine shoots one in matches...He has NEVER had a problem with his and his is box stock. He bought his new on Gunbroker for a steal...Wish I could find that seller and see if he has another one. The only outward difference is the buttstock/buttpad. flat like a shotgun...but after awhile you dont notice it.

They are very nice, I have one in 357, put the Pioneer gun works coil spring conversion and a coil spring in the lever safety. It is smooth as silk. Like said before it comes with a deep blued finish and very nice checkered walnut wood. The best part was I got for $650 out the door. I told them they had it miss marked but they gave it to me anyways. And yes they ARE a Uberti.

Wasatch

Beretta owns Uberti.IF they follow form,it'll probably be 1 notch above the Uberti "branded " ones.I was told that when Beretta wanted to put out the Lightning rifle,they told Uberti if it's gonna have Beretta on it it'd better be a better rifle than the one they're making now.That was a few years back.I know a few people that had me order them the Lightning and SO FAR no problems with either.So,maybe this follows suit.But I have 3 Uberti 73's and can't complain about any of them.

As has been posted, It made by Uberti, It has a factory short stroke, Some nice checkering, and a Shotgun butt plate. The examples I have worked on needed a complete action job to make them user friendly. The guns come short stroked but have stock springs and require two men and a boy to run the lever. Once the springs are corrected and the rough spots in the action are taken care of, pretty nice rifles. The first one I worked on had really bad links that had to be replaced as well.

Coffinmaker

Hi Buck,

I bought one and then talked to Cody Conagher about slicking it up further. He said I had made a mistake because the internals were different!! Since I hadn't shot it, I was able to return it and purchased the standard Uberti 1873 and then sent it to Cody. I can tell you the Cody gun was much slicker than the Renegade.. If it makes a difference, mine was in .45 .

Hard Cash

Thanks for all the comments. I knew it was made by Uberti, I just wasn't sure it was the same internally...but thought that it most likely was the same. I like the look a lot.

Archived