SASS Wire Forum

1866 45lc BP

Texas TenX

In a 66, about as good as it does in a 73. The 45 Colt case is the culprit. The case just does not expand to seal the chamber very well. So, some fouling blows back every shot. There are several tricks to keep that 66 running:

1) tight crimp

2) heavy bullet

3) no filler - full charge of BP

4) fine granulation - FFFg

5) suitable BP lube, such as SPG on Big Lube bullets or equivalent

6) spray the carrier during the match with a bottle of PAM (equal parts hydrogen Peroxide, rubbing Alcohol and Murphys oil soap) or Ballistol/water (moose milk - 1 to 9 parts will work) when it starts getting sticky - which it may every 2, 4, 6, 8 stages (the interval depends upon your load, your gun, the weather, etc.).

You can even get fancier:

7) Resize only the "neck" part of the case, but leave the lower 2/3 full expanded.

8) Anneal the "neck" section of the cases every 3 or 4 loadings to keep the "neck" soft.

9) Blow .44-40 cases out to fill the .45 Colt chamber - but expect shorter case life

If you clean, then relube with spray Ballistol after each match, it keeps the fouling that blows back in the toggle area pretty soft, so you should not have to do a complete tear down but maybe once per 2000 rounds or 1 year.

Magazine tube will be prone to picking up fouling and then rusting. Clean that once every couple of months; relube the inside wall with Eezox or Boeshield rust preventer/lube.

So, the 66 with .45 Colt and BP will work, it will just take some of your attention. A 66 in .44-40 or .38-40 and BP would be very low maintenance.

Good luck, GJ

You may want to consider the '73 for the added lever safety that prevents the hammer drop until the action is fully closed.

You may want to consider the .44-40 chambering as more historically correct and much less fouling allowed into the action.

Very Best Reagrds,

BJT

I've found that keeping the innards well lubed with breech plug grease helps a lot too. As far as spritzing with Murphy's Mix, I got a small spray bottle and made a holster for it that goes on the back of my pistol belt, then when I'm at the unloading table I give the carrier a squirt and it's good to go for the next stage...

Tex are you going to use real or fake, I use APP wit a 200 gr, bullet in my 66 and in my 73, I see no difference in clean up, except when I tear them down before a big match! use a good crimp, and I clean my carrier with water or Windex wipes after 3-4 stages. Clean up is spraying with Windex carrier and down the barrel, wipe dry on the carrier, run a cleaning brush down the barrel then a bore snake to dry with CLP or balistol the last 2 inches to lube. Takes less time than smokeless. If you want a good recipe for APP shoot me a PM.

Rafe

I am no fan of hard crimps as they distort the boolits and work harden the cases. I find the best boolit retention to be had with proper internal sizing of the cases for lead boolits. M dies from Lyman and Cowboy dies from RCBS to internal size the case are best and can be had in 454 or 452 appropriate sizing. 454 will be the best bet, expecially if you are using my boolit design PRS 454-250-RF. I use a Marlin rifle, but the benefits should transfer. Even with grits filler loads, the only soot I get in my action is smoke during cyclling the action.

prs

Archived