SASS Wire Forum

SASS Ratios

G. P. Cobb

My feeling is the wire is more about the competition and guns than say guns, clothing accouterments and the historical attribute. Am I thinking correctly that our converstations are mostly toward the competition side? Thinking of speed, rank points and other subjects VS time period dress and cowboy things.

What say you?

Never given it much thought. Like many online discussion forums, subjects run in cycles. Close to convention time, and in the winter, lots of rules issues. At least some time in the next few months the debate on Tom Horn will crop up again.

Etc.

Mary Ann.... :lol:

I think it all depends on what you are looking to read. I skip over a lot of topics if the title doesn't interest me. I think there are a lot of diverse topics on here all the time, if time is taken to read all of them.

DM

The Wire is not SASS, and the CC isn't either (though they both pretend).

SASS is the smell of gunpowder and the sound of old men laughing like children. It is a 60 yr old enjoying his new hat and a cigar while answering to "Hoppy" or "Roy", neither of which are his given name..........

SASS is the smell of gunpowder and the sound of old men laughing like children. It is a 60 yr old enjoying his new hat and a cigar while answering to "Hoppy" or "Roy", neither of which are his given name..........

Well said.

The Wire is not SASS, and the CC isn't either (though they both pretend).

:lol:

I'LL BUY THAT FER A DOLLAR!!!

:P

My feeling is the wire is more about the competition and guns than say guns, clothing accouterments and the historical attribute. Am I thinking correctly that our converstations are mostly toward the competition side? Thinking of speed, rank points and other subjects VS time period dress and cowboy things.

What say you?

The discussions are about what folks post.

+1

If you want to talk about cloths and history. Post something on it.

Then it will be discussed.

It's that simple.

I don't see as many discussions about history as we once did. But folks still find them interesting when we do. So post info or ask questions.

Over 10 years ago, we had very few sources for clothing and similar supplies, so we often discussed accouterments extensively. I remember many discussions on CAS-L (before the wire) and the early Wire about where to get clothing, clothing ideas, patterns, how-to's etc.

Then we got more and more vendors that supplied almost anything we could dream of (back then) so need is no longer as great. Most of us are pretty well outfitted. So I think that has decreased the clothing discussions a lot.

For history, wait for the next story from Texas Man!

Perhaps we talk a lot more about guns and shooting techniques because it's a lot harder to fit a new hammer to a revolver than it is to fit a new pair of britches to your butt. :blush:

Why worry about this anyway? Planning to set up your own forum?

Good luck, GJ

Perhaps we talk a lot more about guns and shooting techniques because it's a lot harder to fit a new hammer to a revolver than it is to fit a new pair of britches to your butt. :blush:

Speak for yourself. Its easier for me to work on a gun than find pants that fit my butt, or lack thereof, and make it look good. :blink:

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

A ratio to study would be stuff vs skill.

I have a lot of cowboy stuff.............

Some have both.

Joe

Yep, what Grizzly Dave sed.

Plus, don't forget Ginger and Mary Ann.

AND, Ruger vs. Colt and that Rugers are faster.

..........Widder

Widder, might have to revise your thinking a bit. Ha, ha. Take care.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/JSh...tz/Mail2122.jpg

What say you?

I enjoy the wire. at least 2 hours a night.

dont care just like to shoot and have fun. fun, fun.

LOL

CCBA :blush:

What say you?

My feeling is that the wire is pretty main stream. Folk joined SASS because they like to shoot and compete. The clothing accouterments and history are an enhancement only. Folks shoot in SASS because it is a competition. As a result of it being a competition, things like categories, speed, gun mods, get more press because more folks are interested in those things first, other things second or third. Folks that are more interested in history and clothing items usually join a reenactment or other org like NCOWS.

Ratio's?? Let's see, it's the -------- oh he## let me think. Oh yea, it's the sum of the two equal suns of the opposite hides of the oppatamus. Or something like that! Anyway, I have been really concerned about it!!

Blackfoot :mellow:

My feeling is that the wire is pretty main stream. Folk joined SASS because they like to shoot and compete. The clothing accouterments and history are an enhancement only. Folks shoot in SASS because it is a competition. As a result of it being a competition, things like categories, speed, gun mods, get more press because more folks are interested in those things first, other things second or third. Folks that are more interested in history and clothing items usually join a reenactment or other org like NCOWS.

Well, when I first started shooting CAS, (15 years ago or so), it was more about having fun. Most folks were shooting with stock out of the box guns and it wasn't untill some special folks racked up some championship wins then started shooting schools and endorsing guns and products. The next thing ya know we had "cowboy IPSC" and a whole bunch of gamers shooting modified guns and mouse fart loads.

GCK,

Maybe you need to expand your horizons. MANY, MANY folks joined this organizations as BRAND NEW GUN OWNERS, not even the least bit interested in "competition". Yes, many folks have joined SASS due to the competition. But, frankly the real reasons are probably as varied as number of people that have joined. That'd be 90,000+ reasons. To say "competition" is the main reason, would be myopic as best. As there are MANY other "competitions" that don't require an investment in a new wardrobe!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the competition is strictly secondary to me. Even the costuming comes before that. To me, it's all about the GUNS. I finally had a reason to take out my Colt and Winchester and shoot them. I dislike safe queens... I dislike sitting on a gun line at the range pokin' holes in pieces of paper. Shootin' an ACTION game with my Colt & Winchester... I was all over that!

Do I, or would I like to perform better than I currently do? You bet... and like probably exists with a lot of other folks, I also recognize that improvement requires a tremendous effort and commitment of time to practice and loading said practice ammo. I'm currently unable to do that and maintain my wife's lifestyle. But, by GOD, I sometimes get to steal a few hours and send lead downrange in the second best sport on the face of the planet!

But, then, The Wire is NOT SASS.

Doc,

Competitiveness has always been PART of the game. 10 years before you started Bob Munden was doin' a boomin' business slickin' up guns at EVERY EOT I attended. I lucked out and got mine to him early and was able to finish the second day with my "new, slicked-up" Colt!!! That was in 1986! And as my informal poll went, all 100 folks that finished ahead of me had slicked-up guns. Hey, it's how I justified gettin' my Colt modified!!!! THAT was a commitment!

Archived