SASS Wire Forum

Remington 1911 vs Colt Government

Frio Kid, SASS #31915

Discaimer: I have shot the new Remington and I collect Colts.

Both will function well.

The Colt will retain it's value much better.

Either way, you will have a good Wild Bunch pistol.

We own the Remington; We don't like Chevies either..........

Some gotta have the best ya know........

The Remmie and the Dodge is good enough for us.....

I had a customer that purchased one of the new Remingtons from the shop.

He was not familiar with the 1911 and asked me to come out to the range with him and his new toy.

In the course of showing him the operation of the 1911 and test firing the Remington, we shot approx. 250 rounds thru the gun directly out of the box.

No pre operation teardown, special treatment, or other.

No jams - no stovepipes - no misfires.

I did not break the gun down and take a look inside, but the outside was well finished and operation was reliable.

The trigger had some creep and you could feel a resistance exactly at the moment of hammer drop.

The sights are oversized and highly visible.

For the price (and based on only a single example) - I would put the example I fired up against the Springfield GI and found it superior to the Rock Island Armory/ Armscor models.

I would not hesitate to own one for my personal use.

I know your question is about the Remington and I'm sure it's a fine pistol, but, if you are not worried about the extra cost, get the Colt. I'm not a gunsnob, I like/want them all. I looked around a lot before I purchased the Colt Gov't Model. To me, it's worth the extra money. And if you want to sell or trade later it'll hold it's value better.

Either one will make a great WB pistol. It's nice to have such tough choices, ain't it!

Have both the Remmie and the Colt...both excellent. Just shot a new 1911 that really rocked at a great price...all I can tell you for now...LOL!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

You are SUCH a tease!!!! :lol:

FJT

Hey Wolf Bane,

When you bring up that you know about a nice 1911 at a great price and you can't tell us any more..... well it comes off as bragging. And I don't think you should do that if I can't too. :P:blink::blink::blink: Yes I am jelous. :lol:

Ketchum

Hey Wolf Bane,

When you bring up that you know about a nice 1911 at a great price and you can't tell us any more..... well it comes off as bragging. And I don't think you should do that if I can't too. :P:blink::blink::blink: Yes I am jelous. :lol:

Ketchum

Think of it as a tease for one of his T.V. shows! :D

Dag Nabbitt Wolf Bane,

I was going to get a Remington 1911, Now I have to wait to see whats coming up again.

Rev

Thanks for the info. There is a gun show next weekend and I think I will lean towards the Colt (assuming I can find a deal), unless I can find a great deal on a Remington. I have seen the Rock Islands but I think I would spend a couple hundred more for the U.S. made Remington.

I get to add all the new guns into the bound book every week at a large sporting goods chain. We have gotten a few of the Remington R1911s in. The trigger is horrible! A lot of creep and then resistance before the trigger breaks. I was also checking in a Taurus PT1911 Pro. Comparing the triggers against each other the Taurus trigger feels much better. I would probably recommend a Taurus over the Remington if my customer did not want to have to get any work done on it. The Remington definitely looks a lot better. If the customer was already planning on having a new gun smoothed up, I would suggest the Colts, Kimbers, followed with the Springfield Armory 1911s.

Colorado Lightning

I was also checking in a Taurus PT1911 Pro. Comparing the triggers against each other the Taurus trigger feels much better. I would probably recommend a Taurus over the Remington if my customer did not want to have to get any work done on it.

Colorado Lightning

With all due respect - suggesting a Taurus for ANY purpose is questionable.

I would recommend a brick, a sharp stick or a xerox copied picture of a Colt over a Taurus.

One says Remington and is a copy of an original.

The other says C O L T and is the original.

THe way you asked the question, you can afford either: buy the COLT. It will always be a COLT. It will always be an original. Put it in the safe and the value goes up.

Homer

Since you asked opinions between Remington or Colt, then I will chime in without suggesting others. :lol: I have found it hard to find either one readily available. But comparing both just on the basis of PRICE, go for the Colt. Comparing equal features/models, a Colt should sell for about $750-$795 (Mfg Retail is $833.00) The Remington should sell in the neighborhood of about $590.00 (Mfg Retail is $699.00) That would make the price difference of about $200.00. For that amount of difference, I would choose a Colt for reasons mentioned: originality, resale value, quality, bragging rights. I have read about some minor quality issues for the Remingtons, esp. trigger creep and such, and I have read great reviews as well. It is a new pistol production and I am sure that refinements will be addressed.

There are other American made alternatives, but you asked about the Remington and Colt. So I will bite my tongue and read the other responses and opinions.

Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year to all.

Marshall John Joseph

Could it be.... a SR1911?

I would guess that Ruger will be coming to the 1911 game about now too. :blink: If I remember correctly, the gun writters get introduced to the new Ruger stuff about this time of year and they are given time to write about the fun time they had at the factory trying the stuff out and when their ink is dry Ruger does the press release. But I could be wrong. :blush:

KQ

Have both the Remmie and the Colt...both excellent. Just shot a new 1911 that really rocked at a great price...all I can tell you for now...LOL!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Well gee, between this and DRTV weekly video podcast #47, not much doubt in my mind.

Guess maybe in the long run I'll be glad I had to pull the plug on my R 1911 purchase to pay bills....well, once I manage to build up the gun cash stash again.

I had the chance to shoot a buddies brand new Remington this weekend. It was brand new-he was trying it out for the first time. The gun looks great and feels great. The only problem I had was the trigger. I am sure with a little help, it would feel just like my Series 80 Colt did right out of the box.

I bought the Colt because I have pretend Colt SAA's (Cimarrons and Rugers) pretend Winchesters (Uberti) and I finally wanted the real thing.

The Remington qualifies for traditional class out of the box. Does the Colt?

I beleive the plain Jane Government model 1991 Series does. I have seen these on Gunsamerica for as little as $770 for the blue and $790 for the SS(of course you have to add shipping and FFL transfer). If I can find one for that price or close to it at the gun show this weekend it will likely come home with me. I could pick up the Remington for about $570 at a nearby gun store.

Archived