SASS Wire Forum

OT: Vets please answer? M-16 "carry handle" naming question?

The Dakota Clay

Random curious question for some of the resident Vets on here...

Outside of CAS/SASS, I'm also an avid AR-15 shooter/builder. I built a "tactical" AR-15 for a recently retired Marine (Iraq vet :( ) a few months ago, but he wanted an A2 receiver (fixed carry handle). When he picked it up, I commented that I didn't know why he wanted a fixed carry handle on such a specialized tactical rifle.

His response was "I was trained on the A2, I guess I just like the -Fill in the blank-"

Now, for the life of me, I can't recall what he called the "carry handle"? What would a Marine be trained to call the carry handle?

The Carry Handle is the Carry Handle he was referring to the A2 Sights, A2 Sights are adjustable for windage and elevation with a BDC. vert convenient compared to previous sights

I built a AR for my LT who is a former Marine and he wanted the A2 Carry Handle as well because that is what he shot in competition in the Corps, I talked him into a detachable Carry Handle w A2 sight in case he ever wanted to put optics on it.

Doc

The Carry Handle is the Carry Handle he was referring to the A2 Sights, A2 Sights are adjustable for windage and elevation with a BDC. vert convenient compared to previous sights

I built a AR for my LT who is a former Marine and he wanted the A2 Carry Handle as well because that is what he shot in competition in the Corps, I talked him into a detachable Carry Handle w A2 sight in case he ever wanted to put optics on it.

Doc

No question the A-2 has better sights, but ya get used to what you are used to I would probably opt for the A-1 configuration just because that is what I carried for about 14 years.

When I went through Paris Island in 81, we were taught that there is no such thing as a carrying handle on the M16 rifle. That loop thing on the upper receiver is called a "rear sight housing".

I have a Colt SP1 CAR that has the A1 and I never had any problems with hitting what I was aiming at, but the A2 with the BDC is very convenient.

I do not like to refer to it as a Carry Handle, because it is about the least tactical way to carry the rifle, yet you can about be assured you will see someone carrying the rifle that way.

Doc

It looks to me that the A2 fixed "carry handle" is a different height than the newer removable with A2 sight. Is this correct or am I seeing things? I have an A1 and a flat top upper but never had an A2.

Horace

What's an M-16? When I was in the USAF back in the '60's, the only thing the Site Security guards had were M-2 Carbines...with one (1) 15 round magazine and only 10 rounds of ammunition! Even the AR-15's (semi-auto, w/o the forward assist) were pipelined to 'Nam! ;) During hunting season, the troops out hunting on their off days were better armed. Things have changed, however, so I understand.

Merrry Christmas! Happy Kwanza! Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year to all! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :(

Archived