SASS Wire Forum

1866 Head Space Problem

Rambling Grey

My 1866 Uberti has developed a head space problem recently. I have light primmer strikes and it doesn't always eject. Comparing it to another 66 the head space on mine is quite a bit larger. I do have a short stoke kit on it. I know it can be fixed I just don't know how. Do I need to send it to a gun smith or as I have been told I can just buy longer links. I think this happens from time to time but can't find any information on it. Thanks for any help.

Rambling

Morning Rambling,

Yep had same proplem with a '73 after I installed a short stroke kit. Some light hits, mostly left spent brass in the chamber. I checked with the mfg of the short stroke kit I purchase and it was quickly remedied with an exchange for a longer-linked pkg. I'm sure you will have the same results with a qucik phnoe call.

Merry Christmas,

Amen S.

First, Check your head space with a dummy or fired case in the gun. If it's a fired case, first reseat the primer so the case head is flat. Optimum head space is .004, +/- .001

The correction is to alter the length of the links in the short stroke kit (previously posted). Once you know how much the head space error is, the manufacturer of your short stroke kit can order up a set of links to correct it. Most of the guys will just exchange link sets if yours haven't been altered or damaged.

Coffinmaker

First, Check your head space with a dummy or fired case in the gun. If it's a fired case, first reseat the primer so the case head is flat. Optimum head space is .004, +/- .001

The correction is to alter the length of the links in the short stroke kit (previously posted). Once you know how much the head space error is, the manufacturer of your short stroke kit can order up a set of links to correct it. Most of the guys will just exchange link sets if yours haven't been altered or damaged.

Coffinmaker

Coffinmaker

Will try to measure head space if I can find a good set of gauges. Thanks for the help.

Rambling

My 1866 Uberti has developed a head space problem recently. I have light primmer strikes and it doesn't always eject. Comparing it to another 66 the head space on mine is quite a bit larger. I do have a short stoke kit on it. I know it can be fixed I just don't know how. Do I need to send it to a gun smith or as I have been told I can just buy longer links. I think this happens from time to time but can't find any information on it. Thanks for any help.

Rambling

Sentcha a PM

For carts that headspace on the rim a quick ballpark way to check headspace in a rifle is to first either remove the extractor or grind part of the rim off an empty brass just enough so the extractor won't reach it. The idea here is to prevent the extractor from giving you a false reading when measuring. Next, use one layer of masking tape over the case head, insert and close the bolt. You should feel resistance just as it comes to battery. Ideal headspace should be under .005 and most tape is .010. If you don't feel some resistance take that gun to a smith that has gauges.

This will work for the Toggle gun and marlin but other guns like win. 92's and 94's require removing the ejector as well.

A little better way is to use depimed brass and re-seat a spent primer about half way seated. Measure the overall length of this case across the protruding primer then chamber and close the bolt pressing the primer on in. Re-measure the case and subtract that from the first measurement. Still not the best but it will definitely show serious excessive headspace from an overload.

Make sure the mainspring screw is tight. That fixed my wife's gun just fine when it suddenly started having light primer hits. Hard for links to suddenly stop working unless they break.

Archived