SASS Wire Forum

Great day to clean up the loading room

Iron Pony

Weather coming in, sleet and freezing rain, makes this look like an optimal day to dig in and clean out the loading room. Its always kind of like Christmas as I find stuff I didnt know I had, or had anymore, or lost and of course replaced. One good thing is it gives me the chance to inventory ammo.

Wonder if I'll find that newly legal burgess rifle I never bought and have no great desire to own.

Cover me boys I'm going in, and if no one hears from me in 24 hours call 911 as I'll probably be buried under a mountain of empty cartridge boxes. Hmm maybe I should make a thermos of coffee and keep a box of energy bars close to hand.

I lost a cowboy friend this fall and another pard (Montana Longhair) and I helped clean out his load room for his wife. We spent the day and pretty much got everything organized. The son in law is currently in Afganistan and bought all the guns and plans to get into CAS when he retires. Most of the club members purchased the primers, etc. and we sold the 550's and the Hornady.

All in all it worked out well for his wife with the extra cash....and it worked out well for the pards as they were able to replenish supplies, etc. It was a bittersweet day, but we accomplished a lot. Among the items we found were over a foot thick stack of certificates from monthly matches, a bunch of photos that brought back a lot of memories and we reflected on the life of BUCKSHOT ED.....my hero. Furball and I each have memorabilia that will always keep his spirit alive.

KK

Pony, you'll definitely need the Thermos and the energy balls. When you get to the dust bunnies under the bench, there will be a virtual treasure trove of stuff you didn't know you still had!!

The freezing rain as already started here in pennsyltuckey so get your head down!!

Coffinmaker

Well I'm coming up for air...

So far I've found 4 bricks of 22LR I dont remember buying, smokeless and bp ammo for guns I dont have anymore, 500 plus unlubed hard cast 44 slugs. Took all those shotshell and pistol ammo boxes and broken them down so they fit neatly into another box.

Hey, a full bag of 9 shot! It is like Christmas.

All the pistol ammo is on one shelf, rifle on another and now its on to the bench.

The cats have been a great help, appears a red shot wad is a wonderful toy and styrafoam bullet trays are fun too.

Marshal Mo, I've never misplaced a firearm but where did that M2 come from? Neat!

Recommend getting enough life insurance that none of the contents of the loading room or gun safe have to be sold so the widow or widower have a need for the cash.

The son from Afganistan might need the reloading stuff if he is going into SASS on return.

Who says vacuming is part of cleaing up? You all are going way overboard there. Didnt get to the bench, got side tracked on another project but that and a powder/bullet inventory should be in order for today. Once that is done I need to figure out some way to mount my SDB in a "storage" position while the mec or rcbs press in is the working position.

Onward and upward, never back.

Day #2...

Got the bench done, powder/bullet inventory done, brass stockpiles squared away.

Found what appears to be the best cast toy ever invented, the plastic seal ring left behind when you open a can of schutzen powder.

Tomorrow I tackle the accessory shelves.

best cast toy ever invented

Do you mean cat toy? I couldn't figure out what a cast toy is.

I would give one to Gus, but he would eat it.

Do you mean cat toy? I couldn't figure out what a cast toy is.

I would give one to Gus, but he would eat it.

Driftwood Cast Toys Little lead soldiers all painted up ready to play with. Adios Sgt. Jake

Yeah yeah I meant CAT toy Driftwood, and mine are smart enough where they wont eat it. Newest find was a quart bottle of hoppes that I thought was long gone and a bottle of butches bore shine. Might have enough room now to do some reloading, think theres a bunch of prepped 308 brass here someplace along with 4064 and a couple varities of 168 grain match bullets.

Good luck Iron Pony, I feel your pain. I'm currently re-relocating my reloadind area after some extesive remodelng. It'll be temporary but at least its out of the garage.

It's amazing the things you find that just pop up out of nowhere.

Have fun!

I'm hoping to find a spotting scope I bought 2 years ago. I know I got home with it but I haven't seen it since.

I found a Fat 50 cal ammo can FULL of 38 special ammo! Not real sure exactly what they are! I'm sure some left overs from in the past or some I wasn't sure if they would work ect. I'm not about to shoot them in a match 'cause I'm sure there are a few squibs there. I don't want to use the hammer thing to separate them all....anyone wanna' come help me shoot them up so I can get all that brass back???

I'm cleaning up in my loading room today. Already found about 7 to 8 hundred 45acp brass that's clean and polished that I'd forgot about. I was looking for whatever dirty brass I have to get in the tumbler today. Getting all my holsters, speedloaders, speedloader holders etc. together. Also going to move some primers outside the house for storage. Re arranging my lead bullets, just got some more in. Allready took a bucket of trash out. Smokin Gator

Hey Jack I've just done about the same thing with 45-70 ammo, pretty sure its all BP but the notes I keep in the boxes are missing. Bullets run from 405 to 500+ and COL is all over the board. Some of these may have been loaded for a Marlin I havent owned for 10 years at least.

Now if I could find my primer pocket reamer I could recycle all this GI 223 brass into something I can use. The search goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

You might find a half eaten turkey and cheese sandwich that you left in you hunting backpack from November that was causing that strange aroma in the loading room.....

Hey! I'm setting up my first reloading space! (My one little corner of my garage.) Fer my .45-70 Marlin, don'tcha know. Hey, IP, got any .45-70 brass you wanna sell?

Besides the obvious stuff and the Dillon calendar, is their anything else I should plan for, get, install?

Archived