SASS Wire Forum

Handgun Safe?

Jimmy Ferret

Does anyone have experience with the small handgun safes, the ones with the finger guides on top? I'm thinking about buying one for Christmas for my son and am looking for suggestions. It only needs to hold one handgun. Every marketer claims to be the best but thought I'd check with you guys. Thanks

Does anyone have experience with the small handgun safes, the ones with the finger guides on top? I'm thinking about buying one for Christmas for my son and am looking for suggestions. It only needs to hold one handgun. Every marketer claims to be the best but thought I'd check with you guys. Thanks

I've had one for about 10 years, Gun Vault is the brand. It has worked great. It is mounted to the side of my nightstand between the bed. It has 4 buttons on the top with your programmed code. You do need to replace the batteries every so often. It has a barrel type key to open manually if the batteries die. It allows me to have my Kinber out when I want and safe when I am not around. I would recommend this brand as it has served me well.

Take care,

HJS

I've had one for about 10 years, Gun Vault is the brand. It has worked great. It is mounted to the side of my nightstand between the bed. It has 4 buttons on the top with your programmed code. You do need to replace the batteries every so often. It has a barrel type key to open manually if the batteries die. It allows me to have my Kinber out when I want and safe when I am not around. I would recommend this brand as it has served me well.

Take care

+1 on make and model, although the one I have won't take anything longer than a 4" barrel in the revolver department or a standard sized 1911 in the auto department. It saves just enough battery life to warn you that the batteries are getting low ie. time to recharge. Mine has eight AA's and takes about three to four hours for the recharge with the key taking its place in the interim. Quick to open and easy to program. Smithy.

Some come equipped with cables that extend from the inside of the safe to go around a solid immovable object (mine came equipped as such). My preference however, and how I mounted my safe was good solid four to six inch lag bolts from the inside of the safe into the object you are mounting the safe to such as a desk, bed, wall etc. Smithy.

I have a biometric safe. Push a button, put your finger on the scanner, and the gun is in your hand in two seconds. You can lag bolt it to a wall or table through the safe bottom or the back.

I have an older under the bed model. It is all mechanical, no battery needed. You have 5 button on the front you can "program" for your combination. It mounts to the metal frame rail of a bed. No way to steal just the safe, they would have to take the framerail too, that should be suspicious looking!

I got it mostly for child protection yet be close and handy if needed.

Archived