SASS Wire Forum

ruger free spin cylinder pawl dont work now

Irish Pat

Ok I ve everthing back together, but it had a free spin cylinder when I got it and that doesn'e work now, what did I do to it, Irish Pat

That's the one thing that I dislike about my Rugers. When I put them back together I don't necessarily have what I had when I took them apart. Smithy.

Put em a box and add some sippin whiskey. Take the box to Rudy and ask Big Daddy to come over. Give the guns to Big Daddy while Rudy drinks the whiskey and tells Big Daddy what he is doing wrong. When the whiskey is gone they will call Cookie, he has a friend who is a gun smith. William may be around and he can hide the guns and parts while you wait on Cookie. When Cookie has left with the box they will probably take you fishing which will make the trip worthwhile.

Any questions?

Put em a box and add some sippin whiskey. Take the box to Rudy and ask Big Daddy to come over. Give the guns to Big Daddy while Rudy drinks the whiskey and tells Big Daddy what he is doing wrong. When the whiskey is gone they will call Cookie, he has a friend who is a gun smith. William may be around and he can hide the guns and parts while you wait on Cookie. When Cookie has left with the box they will probably take you fishing which will make the trip worthwhile.

Any questions?

Dusty,

Could not have said it better myself. I think I'll have Rudy hold the guns and I'll hold the whiskey.

Have a Happy CowBoy Holiday

Big Daddy Jenks

Ummmmm.........

Let's be clear on what we are talking about.

Rugers do not come with a free spin cylinder. The New Vaqueros comes with a pawl that can be modified to make it a free spin pawl, but stock, it is not a free spin pawl. If yours allowed the cylinder to free spin in both directions from the factory, there was something wrong with it.

When you take it out of the box, if you open the loading gate, the cylinder should spin freely in one direction only. It should not spin freely the other direction. If it did, something was not quite right with the fit of the pawl.

Well technically, the New Vaqueros do have a "free spin pawl". The cylinder is stopped from rotating backwards by a little plunger held in by a hex screw. Take out that screw and plunger and the cylinder should spin freely without any modification to the pawl. Though sometimes if the pawl isn't fit well, it will stick out a little bit and prevent the cylinder rotating backwards.

Perhaps that plunger was removed in his gun, and it was working fine before, but when he re-assembled everything it changed things just enough that now the cylinder is catching on the tip of a poorly fit pawl. A few strokes with a file could remedy that, but that's just a guess as to what the problem may be. If he's got an Old Vaquero then I don't know what he did to it. :D

Well, Dusty Chambers had it all figured out. I was hoping that I could hold the whisky instead of Big Daddy. I guess a little background is in order on how Irish Pat takes apart all of his guns without paying any attention to where the parts go once the springs let loose and go under the deep freeze(Freezer). Instructions are just words on paper that get in the way of Irish Pats' progress. The best I can tell, Irish Pats' guns were working properly until he took them apart to see how far under the deep freeze the springs could go.

Archived