SASS Wire Forum

How do I fix my Buckarettes pistola' ?

Rowdy-Finn

I purchased a pair of used .38 Cimarron Lightnings for my daughter here on this wire. Been very happy with them but noticed one has a bunch of fore & aft movement of the cylinder. Should this be remedied? If so, how?

Thanks,

Rowdy Finn & Sunny Starr

Rowdy,

Does it have a removable bushing ( What the pin goes thru in the cylinder)? If so you can order a new bushing and fit it, so some of the slop is gone, but if the pistol is working and I mean firing just fine I wouldn't worry about it, but go to VTI gunparts on the wire and order a bushing and if you can't do it take it to a gunsmith, not hard just takes a little patience.

Thanks

KK

Rowdy,

Does it have a removable bushing ( What the pin goes thru in the cylinder)? If so you can order a new bushing and fit it, so some of the slop is gone, but if the pistol is working and I mean firing just fine I wouldn't worry about it, but go to VTI gunparts on the wire and order a bushing and if you can't do it take it to a gunsmith, not hard just takes a little patience.

Thanks

KK

KK,

No removable bushing. The cylinder slides forward & backward on the cylinder-pin with what seems like too much play when compared to it's mate. I looked for a thin shim type washer at the hardware store to install at the front but no luck. Might have been the wrong thing to do? I'm no gunsmith that's for sure!

Rowdy

KK,

Did you ever fly out of Eagle, CO ? I was with Vail Mountain Rescue for many years and used to train with some high-altitude Army pilots out of Eagle. They helped us complete many missions. I was neighbors with one of the pilots living up in Eby Creek Mesa.

Rowdy

Howdy,

Never got to go to the High Altitude school in Eagle, but did a few tours at Carson before I retired, I have flown in that area, but not often. I sent something to you, it should be getting to you anytime now in priority mail.

So no removeable bushing, the only thing I can think of is ti fit a new cylinder, I went to VTI website and they show they can get them, may even have them in stock, they say they are$90.00 plus shipping

KK

KK,

Did you ever fly out of Eagle, CO ? I was with Vail Mountain Rescue for many years and used to train with some high-altitude Army pilots out of Eagle. They helped us complete many missions. I was neighbors with one of the pilots living up in Eby Creek Mesa.

Rowdy

I purchased a pair of used .38 Cimarron Lightnings for my daughter here on this wire. Been very happy with them but noticed one has a bunch of fore & aft movement of the cylinder. Should this be remedied? If so, how?

Thanks,

Rowdy Finn & Sunny Starr

Go to your local hardware store, they will (usually) have a stock of either brass or steel shim material. Try to determine what it will take to reduce the free play to desirable dimensions, and purchase several different thickness' of material. Begin by drilling or punching a hole in the material BEFORE trimming it to the desired "washer" shape. It will take a few trial and error fittings, but will arrive at the desired result. I've done this several times and had great results each time, and at a LOW cost. (Time used don't count) I recommend using the steel stock if you can get it, but brass will work as well. Good luck and Merry CHRISTmas to you and yours.

Al

There are shims that are specific to that application available at Brownells. Cylinder end shake bearing.

Rico,

Those shims are for colt style SAA's with removeable cylinder bushings. The Reduced frame lightning don't have them.

Thanks,

Rowdy Finn & Sunny Starr

Just shimming may not take care of the problem. You may also have excessive cylinder to barrel gap. This can create an unsafe situation were the gun spits shard of lead from the gap. Plus, if you use thin shim stock under the excessive gap the shim probably won't last long. They will burn up.

The best fix is to have a bushing made and the cylider bore for it. Then set the barrel back one thread and re-gap to about .005" to .008" max.

Rico,

Those shims are for colt style SAA's with removeable cylinder bushings. The Reduced frame lightning don't have them.

Just shimming may not take care of the problem. You may also have excessive cylinder to barrel gap. This can create an unsafe situation were the gun spits shard of lead from the gap. Plus, if you use thin shim stock under the excessive gap the shim probably won't last long. They will burn up.

The best fix is to have a bushing made and the cylider bore for it. Then set the barrel back one thread and re-gap to about .005" to .008" max.

It's about .009" to .010" right now the other one is about .003" to .004". Sounds expensive!? Thanks for the reply.

Rowdy

It's about .009" to .010" right now the other one is about .003" to .004". Sounds expensive!? Thanks for the reply.

Rowdy

It's not too bad yet, but eventually it may get wider and play becomes excessive sooner or later, I would do what Nate had suggested.

Guest jeweler jim

I'm taking for granted that you have looked at the cylinder pins on both guns and note that they are both fully seated with the same amount of distance extending out of the front. If there is a difference in the distance extending out you might have a pin that is not fully seated. These little guns are sometimes prone to giving one fits regarding the removal and replacement of the pins. Also check the wear on the pins as sometimes the "finish" internally has caused a major wear or gouge mark in the pins. VTI usually has whatever parts you're gonna need to replace.

Beyond that it might not be a bad thing to have a gun smith take a look.

Archived