SASS Wire Forum

the toy train I want

Trigger Mike

This one actually has smoke come out the side like a real one. If only I had 4,000.

http://www.reynaulds.com/km1.aspx

When I was little my dad got us a train and mounted it on plywood. We played for hours in the basement with that toy.. But this one is beyond just a kids toy.. Whew.. I love the steam and the whistle... How cool it would be to set up track with that engine on it... It sounds real.. geesh.. Thanks.. that is a very cool engine..

Okay... what's "1 gauge?" :)

1 Gauge, or "Gauge One," is a little smaller than G Gauge and is primarily used for "garden trains." G Gauge is 1:22.5 in scale while Gauge 1 is 1:33 in scale, about three times the size of HO scale. They had some popularity in the early 20th century here in the U.S. until around WW I. They're still popular in Europe. All of their measurements are in metrics.

Pretty impressive. I have a G Gauge LGB train, but it's nothing like that! Well, for four grand, you should expect a lot! Probably won't get one of those for Christmas this year. :ph34r:

I have one of these.

HO Scale with some old fashion cars and a crummy.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/pro...p;productId=558

Not to hijack a thread, but Badger, how do you like your Bachman? I've been thinking real seriously about getting one just like that and building a Christmas tree stand layout.

Sure would like to see some pics of the cars you have.

Packsaddle, I think that train is neat. I bought the engine and tender and then I bough the rest of the track, cars, etc. So it was not a set. You can get the cars from Bachmann I believe. I have no way to

post a picture and I would not know how to do it if I did. Call me an old geezer.

They made two engines, the Union Pacific and the Central Pacific. I believe they now have a different name for them. The Central Pacific is now called the General and the Union Pacific is decorated in another color. The cars are made like the old time cars. It is some neat stuff. Looks great under the tree with all of the Victorian houses my wife has.

This one actually has smoke come out the side like a real one. If only I had 4,000.

http://www.reynaulds.com/km1.aspx

That is awesome! Kind of makes my HO Engines with soundtraxx seem less impressive.

Wow!! Just imagine a Challenger or Big Boy set up like that.

I've got a loco similar to the link to Bachmann above. Mine has a wood burner tender, though. My big problem is no track available locally.. Not sure if some other brands track would work with the Bachmann.............Buck :ph34r::)

Wow!! Just imagine a Challenger or Big Boy set up like that.

I've got a loco similar to the link to Bachmann above. Mine has a wood burner tender, though. My big problem is no track available locally.. Not sure if some other brands track would work with the Bachmann.............Buck :(:)

Been a while since I had mine running, but I believe the track is Atlas track.

I believe it also has a wood burning tender.

Try Bachmann's web site. They also have a forum with some savvy guys on it.

I was going to get the Central Pacific engine and run them up to Promontory Summit and pretend it

was 1869. Now I can't find the Cen Pac copy. :ph34r:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/index.php

Do you actually build the landscapes and all also? Just curious. I have always been interested in the miniature Civil War battlefields and have always enjoyed looking at the train set ups when I seen them on tv or wherever.

If you build the landscapes......any pics?

I am not that talented. I just put the sheet down on the floor and lay some track over it for Christmas.

I guess I am a kid at heart because I like to watch the train go around the track. I grew up not far from trains so I have always had an interest in them. History is really neat.

http://www.donet.com/~paulrace/trains/spec...ls_starters.htm

I have the Bachman Virginia and Truckee Set to run around my Christmas tree. Me and the cat love watching it. Wish I could expand .

The wife bought me a Lionel battery operated set last year...hmmmm we'll see.

curley

Thought it was interesting, looked at some of their other stuff on youtube, found that they had an interesting item or two for sale :) Anyone else?

Why not a real steam locomotive then?

This is gauge 1

http://www.accucraft.com/index.php?show_aux_page=35

Yep you fire it up.

Want something a little more Wild West?

http://www.accucraft.com/index.php?show_aux_page=42

I have someone I know who works in 1" scale (4.75 or 5" guage) with which you can do this:

http://phoenixlocos.com/gallery/album/class50/

Howdy

The problem with engines that spit smoke all over the place indoors is that eventually the particulates have to settle onto something. You eventually wind up with a fine coating of gook everyplace. Can really play havoc with electrical pickup off of the track. Works OK outdoors, but it ain't so hot for indoors where there is no wind to blow it away.

One of the problems with all the shooting and reloading I do these days is that my HO layout has been gathering dust for a whole bunch of years now. The layout occupies a finished room in our basement. Mrs Johnson keeps agitating to replace it with exercise equipment.

Howdy

The problem with engines that spit smoke all over the place indoors is that eventually the particulates have to settle onto something. You eventually wind up with a fine coating of gook everyplace. Can really play havoc with electrical pickup off of the track. Works OK outdoors, but it ain't so hot for indoors where there is no wind to blow it away.

One of the problems with all the shooting and reloading I do these days is that my HO layout has been gathering dust for a whole bunch of years now. The layout occupies a finished room in our basement. Mrs Johnson keeps agitating to replace it with exercise equipment.

Don't let it happen, Driftwood. Don't!

It could be injurious to your health.

Just a simple 027 Marx electric train like the one I got for Christmas 1954 (? maybe earlier), cast metal engine, lithographed tinplate cars (box car, gondola, reefer, tanker, caboose) with four wheel trucks, a 90 degree crossing, four manual switches, and uncoupling track, a half dozen Plasticville buildings, and some toy cars.

Been looking for a bunch of years and can't find just the right one....but I will someday.

Right after we got married, my wife was "cleaning" house and gave my set away to some lucky kid.

That was fifty years ago. Wonder if he still has it.

Yep...my mom sold mine at a garage sale.

Howdy Again

I started with Lionel when I was just a kid. My dad built a 4X8 table and I had all my Lionel stuff set up on it.

Then when I was around 10 or so he said 'we' should get into HO. I had never heard of it. So he put an ad in the paper and sold all the Lionel stuff and bought me an HO set. I chose a layout out of a plan book and together we built a great big mountain at one end out of screen wire and plaster. It was on the same 4X8 table and eventually I added a second table. Still have some of that HO equipment today.

But I sure wish I still had that Lionel stuff.

Mine went to the son of some family friends when I switched to HO my first year of college. They had a kid who wanted a train and they didn't have any money fora new set. Mine was in really great shape except or a boxcar that had been repainted.

I don't regret doing it, but I'd sure like to find another one like it.

tell her the layout is exercise equipment. You get exercise when you do play with it and exercise walking around it when you don't.

He could claim that he chases the trains around the "jogging" track.. lol

That is a fantastic engine with smoke and whistle :D

I had HO trains when I was young . . . and most of the stuff is no doubt still in the attic of the home in Ohio . . . the attic is fun to visit . . . but to actually find anything that you think is there ( probably is ) . . . . Oh my . . . IMPOSSIBLE . . but while looking fur it you run into other neat stuff that you've forgotten about ! :FlagAm:

When I converted the 20 ft. travel trialer in to my workshop I figured to have a railroad in the back end. I bought some real nice "G" scale stuff that I figured to convert into a "one inch scale" narrow gauge train, . . . but . . . somehow the guns have taken over ALL THE SPACE . . . ? :blink: how did that happen ? :FlagAm:

Archived