SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Plinkerton SA .22lr Revolver

Val Cano

This .22 is supposed to be the same size as a normal Colt SA revolver. The price is under $200 ($159 at Bud's). The manufacturer is Chiappa. Does anyone have any experience with this one? If you can live with the matte finish it seems like a winner or is it too good to be true?

I have handled a couple of these and I highly do not recommend them. Junk Junk Junk Junk Junk Junk. The ones I have handled lock up and will not index.

Are you sure you got the cylinder bushing in the gun correctly? Makes a difference how it's in!!

Guest diablo slim shootist

their quality is spotty at best i have handled some that did not

seem to work right-that said the one i own is a good one. :D

I thought long and hard about a Plinkerton - just couldn't do it. I saved a little longer and went with a Ruger Single Six. Now I have a reliable, solid, dual cylinder "shooting iron" that will last lifetimes of use. It will hold its value due to its reputation as a fine firearm. Its like anything in life - you get what you pay for.

Not trying to be a gun snob, just trying to help out a Pard. Can't tell you how many times I've put good money into bad, when I should have just held off a little while, worked a few extra hours, didn't go out to dinner, skipped a movie or two, and saved enough to "buy up".

Good luck whatever you decide.

MJJ

Had one and sold it. Just picked up a Colt New Frontier in .22/.22mag for a real good price. No comparison in quality. The Plinkerton was almost laughable., Rough action, heavy trigger pull. Put yer money towards sumthin else.

They LOOK and FEEL like a complete POS, but I've never shot one. I did buy a Chiappa 1911, and it is DEFINITELY a POS, even after TWO trips back to the factory.

Buy once, cry once - Single Six or some used Colt Frontier Scouts - there are several on gunbroker right now, many of which are $300 - $350 with no reserve.

That's four "for" and six "against" - about what I expected. Sounds like a case of inconsistant quality. I think I'll give it a pass. What I'd really like is the USFA .22 Plinker but for that amount of money, I could almost put a set of brand new wire wheels on my MGB. How does the size of the Ruger Single Six compare with a that of a Uberti Cattleman SA? Would it fit in the latter holster?

That's four "for" and six "against" - about what I expected. Sounds like a case of inconsistant quality. I think I'll give it a pass. What I'd really like is the USFA .22 Plinker but for that amount of money, I could almost put a set of brand new wire wheels on my MGB. How does the size of the Ruger Single Six compare with a that of a Uberti Cattleman SA? Would it fit in the latter holster?

Smaller than a Colt clone...it'll fall out if you run!

I love my Single Six. It saves a bushel basket of money in live fire practice and it feels like it's big brothers: Vaquero.

The only problem with mine is that I only have one. I NEED another.

Buy the Single Six. You will not regret the extra money spent.

Happy trails,

Waimea

:(

...Buy the Single Six. You will not regret the extra money spent.

Would you recommend one with fixed sights or adjustable?

I bought mine with similar sight pattern (fixed) for inexpensive SASS practice - I have OMVs. IMO a single action with adjustable sights doesn't look right and ruins the "lines" of a classic firearm. That being said, whatever your intended use should dictate your choice in sights.

I had a few extra bucks from working side jobs (to support my "gun habit" - my gun slush fund) and bought two of those rascals. Put some polymer ivory grips on them, and housed them in a pair of Old Slapout's holsters that approximate my OMV rig, and I'm "as pleased as punch".

Take a look.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww327/s...oy/PICT0547.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww327/s...oy/PICT0549.jpg

God bless you all this Christmas Season and throughout the New Year.

MJJ

...IMO a single action with adjustable sights doesn't look right and ruins the "lines" of a classic firearm.

Agreed. Those are fine looking sidearms and a stunning rig.

Not trying to threadjack, but this along the same lines as the original post. My local fun store has the Heritage Rough Rider .22lr on sale for $159. Worth it for a practice pistol or not?

You got a good deal for sure.I just bought a pair for right around $200.00 each. Haven't shot them yet, but they seem like nice guns.

Well i got a chance to try out my new Heritage 22,s today.In doors,on paper.Not bad for cheap guns.Also took along my new Western, 22.Not the brass one, just the cheap blue job.Not real great, but it'l do for cowboy. Out side on medal.now i can practice all day with out breaking the bank.Hey, i need the practice, for sure, for sure.Most of my shoots i come away looking like this, :blink: or this :blush: .Have a nice day pards.

Well i got a chance to try out my new Heritage 22,s today.In doors,on paper.Not bad for cheap guns.Also took along my new Western, 22.Not the brass one, just the cheap blue job.Not real great, but it'l do for cowboy. Out side on medal.now i can practice all day with out breaking the bank.

Sounds good. I do have a Colt Frontier but it has the zemac [sp?] frame which looks a bit cheap. Little Deb and I went out in the gully out back and practiced with .22s today. She has a Uberti Model P Jr. We have a Henry Repeating Arms .22 carbine too. She did okay. I was terrible but it's been four years since we did any CAS or CAS practice. It was fun and hilarious as well.

Archived