SASS Wire Forum

put my Ruger back together cylinder wont lockup

Irish Pat

Well I changed out the hammers on my New Model Vaqueros put them back together but now the cylinders won't lock up when I cock the hammers back . Any ideas where I should start?... Irish Pat sass 19486

I"m sure someone who knows alot more than me will chime in soon, but did ya make sure to keep the cylinder with the gun it went to? If they got switched it might cause some problems, dunno about not locking up, but...

Well I changed out the hammers on my New Model Vaqueros put them back together but now the cylinders won't lock up when I cock the hammers back . Any ideas where I should start?... Irish Pat sass 19486

My guess is ya ommitted or mangled the plunger and spring located in the grip frame forward of the trigger guard. That spring and plunger raises the bolt into the slot on the cylinder to lock it up.

remove the cylinder, hold the gun nose up, and cycle the hammer. You will likely note the bolt fails to rise out of it's slot in the bottom of the cylinder window. Now ya know ya need to remove the grip frame and salvage/replace the spring and plunger I mentioned.

If ya need one, call Ruger. They call it a cylinder stop spring and plunger. Likely be free for the asking.

They are rugers. After ensuring that you did not get the cylinders mixed up, check for burrs, debris and massive machining flaws. If need be lightly polish all of your bearing surfaces but do not go to far cause once you polish off the surface hardening and get down to that cast metal it will wear like no tomorrow.

Hey Pat, Did you forget that you are a banker and need some help with these mechanical things? Hope you get them to going. Later David

If need be lightly polish all of your bearing surfaces but do not go to far cause once you polish off the surface hardening and get down to that cast metal it will wear like no tomorrow.

Howdy

That is incorrect. Ruger does not use ordinary die castings. They use Investment Castings for the frames and most of the internal parts. After any secondary machining, the parts are hardened all the way through the metal, they are not surface hardened. You can polish all you want and you will not go through the hardened metal.

However, I agree, it is most likely the spring and plunger that pushes up on the bolt. They are easy to get out of alignment when reassembling a Ruger.

Did you forget to replace the cylinder latch plunger/spring that is located on the grip frame above the trigger guard? Place the spring and plunger into that hole. One way to keep that spring plunger from falling off is to dip the spring and plunger in some lubricating grease. Even if you turn that grip frame upside down, it will keep that spring plunger from falling off. That spring plunger sits on the cylinder latch and when activated, it will push that latch up and locks the cylinder when you cock the hammer. Once you mount the grip frame with the spring/plunger installed, prior to replacing the front screw, check by pressing on the cylinder latch and see if it will bounce back up, if it does then you got the spring/plunger in the correct position. Replace the front screw in first but do not tighten, make sure that when you replace the grip frame that the pawl plunger spring is not kinked between the grip frame and the receiver. (you know how many folks forget about this spring when replacing the grip frame, they find out why their pawl is not pushing against the cylinder and the cylinder will not rotate). Then replace all the screws. Make sure that the longest screw is inserted on the side where the groove of the hammer pin is located, this will lock the hammer pin in place, then finish replacing the rest of the screw in, do not overtighten just make it snug. PITA if you overtightened it if you need to disassemble it again someday.

Disassembling and reassembling Ruger are not difficult, once you get good at it, it will take you less than 5 min. to do each. All it takes is to know how. Instructional DVD or someone to show you how will help. Hope this help, good luck, shoot straight and have fun.

I.M. Crossdraw

When you make sure that the spring and plunger are in the grip frame, also make sure that the spring part is inserted first with the plunger sticking out. If they are put in backwards, the cylinder won't lock up reliably.

Order a new spring and plunger from Brownell's. When you put it back together use a dab of grease to hold it in place.

I did the same thing...

I was not able to clean the plunger up enough to re-use.

Thanks Crossdraw, and thanks for the thread in general as I have the same exact problem with one of my Rugers (a brand new one no less). I have monkeyed with it for I don't know how long trying to get it to work but to no avail and Crossdraws tips seem like the best ones yet to get me back on track. Smithy.

Man, it's sounds to me like that springey dohickey that pokes up on the front of bottom half on the bow end of the trigger guard thingie aint where is supposed to be.

Spittoon

Archived