SASS Wire Forum

old Roy Rogers movie: 'Young Wild Bill'

Widder, SASS #59054

Last night, I watched an early Roy Rogers movie and Gabby was in it also.

It was titled "Young Wild Bill" or something like that.

(EDIT) 'I think' that I've also seen a VERY early movie with Roy that also starred a young John Wayne and I think it had something to do with Billy the Kid, maybe. (could have been with Gene)

Anyhow, here's my question (I really don't know the answer):

Was either of these movies considered 'the first' movie for Roy? If not, what was his official 'first movie' as we know it?

Thanks

..........Widder

Don't know the answer but, you might try IMDB.com (Internet Movie Data Base) and look at all of JW's movie titles/casts. Great resource for stuff like this. You can search by movie title, actor names, cast lists. Regards, Baddog N.

His first movies were as a band member of Sons of the Pioneers. I think his "big break" was on his first Gene Autry movie when Roy played a bad guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Rogers

And for some great reading:

http://www.royrogers.com/roy_rogers_bio.html

Widder,

According to IMDB the first movie he is credited as Roy Rogers is "Under Western Stars" from 1938. His first movie appearance was in 1935 but was credited as a group with the Sons of the Pioneers. In between were several credited and uncredited rolls including some as Leonard Slye and two as Dick Weston.

Hope this helps

Smoke

I found "Young Bill Hickok"-1940 And "Young Buffalo Bill"-1940 with Gabby and Roy. Nothing in either cast list for JW. Interesting note, Trigger was mentioned in both cast lists. Heh. Baddog N.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

John Wayne's first credited part was in 1928 in the Silent movie named "HANGMAN'S HOUSE" It was produced by Fox and directed by John Ford.

it stared Victor McLaglen and JW was a horse race spectator! Between 1926 and 1928 JW appeared in several films including "Brown of Harvard" and "Four Sons"; both without credit.

Hoss

John Wayne's first movie was "Brown of Harvard", 1926. He played a football player.

The first film to give Wayne onscreen credit was "Words and Music" in 1929. He was cited as Duke Morrison.

First Starring Role was "The Big Trail in 1929" His first credits as John Wayne.

Hey Noz,, I got my info from the book DUKE -The John Wayne Album. it was written by Boswell & David and published in 1979 It sights the second film JW got credit for was "Words & Music" in 1929. It was JW's first "talking" movie, however in 1928, "Hangman's House" was his first credited movie. Your info may be more accurate than mine, but this is what my book states.

Hoss

I'm gona EDIT my OP to include the words "I think" about JW being with RR in an early movie.

Maybe it was with Gene Autry as mentioned above.

Anyhow, interesting history.

Many thanks Pards

..........Widder

Hoss, my source says "Hangman's House" was an uncredited effort by JW.

However, I really am not into it enough for it to make any difference at all.

(Part of my new kinder, gentler persona)

Roy Rogers was in a movie with John Wayne , "Dark Command" , 1940 , also with Walter Pigeon and Claire Trevor. Marjorie Main has a part as Walter Pigeon's mother. Roy plays Claire Trevor's younger brother.

That is the only one I know of that Roy and Duke were in together.

Cheers , Rex :FlagAm:

Rex you are right; Dark Command was the only time JW and RR hooked up for a movie. However, in 1943, JW was in a Republic film titled In Old Oklahoma, and playing "Cuddles Walker" was none other than Dale Evans! Too much trivia!Hoss

Archived