SASS Wire Forum

Want To Buy Case Tumbler

Bustin Caps

I have 4 tumblers running 3 hours every day. I have gone through many over the years. Usually the motor bearings wear out and it just ain't worth trying to replace them or just the motors.

I have tried most the name brands. Gemstone was the best but they closed up a few years back. currently I am running two Lyman TwinTurbos and two from Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight ones do a fine job as they seem to vibrate a little faster that all the rest. Only down side is they have some SAE and some metric threaded parts. The threaded bolt that holds the bowl and top on is metric. Can't find a rubber nut for it. Also because it vibrates faster, the bowl will some times rotate if I don't get the top nut on tight enough.

I like the TurboTwins but only when they are on sale when you get two at a time. Nice savings.

Harbor Freight has their 5lb tumbler on sale right now for $44.95

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vi...bler-67617.html

I also like that the Harbor Freight unit has an off/on switch built in to eh side of the stand. The others have to be unplugged if I don't need it to run when the others are on.

Though I don't use vibrating tumblers much anymore, am here to say ...

The Harbor Freight one that Cliff Hanger referenced is better that any of the Frankford's I've used. It is much more quite and cleans the brass faster with dry media

PS: Both HF and Frankford tumblers are made in China, if one is a Buy American person

I have 4 tumblers running 3 hours every day. I have gone through many over the years. Usually the motor bearings wear out and it just ain't worth trying to replace them or just the motors.

I have tried most the name brands. Gemstone was the best but they closed up a few years back. currently I am running two Lyman TwinTurbos and two from Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight ones do a fine job as they seem to vibrate a little faster that all the rest. Only down side is they have some SAE and some metric threaded parts. The threaded bolt that holds the bowl and top on is metric. Can't find a rubber nut for it. Also because it vibrates faster, the bowl will some times rotate if I don't get the top nut on tight enough.

I like the TurboTwins but only when they are on sale when you get two at a time. Nice savings.

Harbor Freight has their 5lb tumbler on sale right now for $44.95

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vi...bler-67617.html

I also like that the Harbor Freight unit has an off/on switch built in to eh side of the stand. The others have to be unplugged if I don't need it to run when the others are on.

Thanks Cliff Hanger That unit that Harbor Freight has looks to be the old Midway unit, the only difference being the on/off switch instead of being on the cord is now on the motor body. The main reason I have been looking for the old unit is it's many times better than their newer redesign. I have two older units and about a year ago decided to order one of the new ones when Midway had it as one of their lost leaders ,cheap price. When I received it I assembled it,the bowl bolt shaft was fastened to the bottom of the bowl.The bowl bolted to the motor body. That meant the bowls could not be swapped any more ,by just unfastening the bowl and replacing it with another bowl with a different media in it.At one time I used to use Midways Moly bullet lube in a bowl dedicated to just the purpose of Moly lubing bullets. Well by changing to their new design they just lost many of the features, that and they claimed that the redesign had a more aggressive tumbling action. I can be more aggressive with a limp dish rag than their redesigned tumbler. I my opinion the old design bowl with the ribs cast in to the bowl caused more aggressive cleaning action than the new redesign with smooth bowl. I darn near sent the darn thing back only the shipping would have cost more than it was worth. So I decided to use the original units with walnut cleaning media and use the new unit with corncob for polishing. Now thanks to you I will order a spare and use something that I know works. Thanks Sgt. Jake

Archived