SASS Wire Forum

Questin about 97

BrimstoneJerome

I need to rplace the butt plate on a 97 I just purchased. I looked at Buffalo arms and they have two different plates for a 97, with and without a toe. What exactly is a toe on a but plate and how will I know if I have one? Sorry if I have offended anyone with my ignance but I figured the kind folks of the wire would steer me right with minimal jeering.

Regards

Brimstone.

Some of the early 1897's had a steel butt plate with a little toe that went up over the top of the stock. It was kinda pointed and was inletted into the stock. If your '97 had one and it was missing, you'd know it. What year was your '97 made, serial number???

Big Jake

Made in 1941, it is in the dafe at home so I am not sure the serial #right now, but that answered my question my 97 does not have a toe. Thanks Big jake glad you could stop laughin long enough to type a response.

Keep your powder dry.

Brimstone.

All long arm butt stocks have a toe. It doesn't go up over the top of the stock tho.

The toe is bottom of the butt while the heel is at the top of the stock.

Yep, Lone Dog set the record straight. A better term for this item is a "butt plate with spur". The spur is on the heel of the plate, just like happens to some of our pards' feet.

I did not know that any of the 97's were produced with a spurred butt plate. First time I saw one was on a Remington 1889 hammer double.

Good luck, GJ

I have a 1904 solid frame Winchester 1897 C model with a 30 inch full choke.

It has a steel butt plate with a "SPUR" on top of the butt plate. It's not the only one I've seen.

Why Buffalo Arms chooses to call it a butt plate with a toe, and without a toe is beyond me.

Like Lone Dog says about all long arms having a heel and toe, just about everyone knows that,

but I knew what the OP was asking about butt plate with a toe....meaning spur.

Big Jake

I have a Win 97 solid frame, C model, marked 20" barrel cylinder, made around 1900- 1902, has the "spur". After cleaning I was amazed it is so new, barely used. After selling her husbands Winchester collection she found this sgun in the back of his closet wrapped in some cloth so I got it. Havnt used it yet. When I got it I noticed butt plate was different right off and compared it to my other 97 made in 52.

Archived