Guest diablo slim shootist

the Texas Ten Horns are contemplating a spring annual match

starting in 2011 we are just down the road from the bar3 and

i know most of you know about that match. T bone puts on a

premier match every year in the fall. we thought it would be

nice to have one in this area in the spring-maybe before the

Texas State match.

Question is what would you like to see at a match-what brings

you back every year to a match -what makes it great for you.

we need some ideas .we want to be on your list of must attend

matches-Thanks for taking the time for this1

Diablo Slim Shootist

range officer

Texas Ten Horns

Greenville Texas

A spring match is a great time for a match. Most are stacked into the fall. For us to drive up a match first has to be fun. With a capital "F". I love for my wife to attend so when I chose a three day match I'm looking for a facility for her. She needs to be comfortable. Me a thick bush is ok. We like the stages to have movement and not be overly complicated. We want to have to think but not figure out abstract art or some gimick before the buzer goes off. While target don't necessarily have to right on top of a shooter they should be a good chance that a clean match can be had. (Not that I'm going to shoot one.) With these things planned you can run a lot of shooters through the course quickly. For me it's what makes the Bar-3's Comin-at-u so inviting.

Hope this helps.

Oliver :FlagAm:

thanks Oliver for your reply

im thinking 5-6yrds for pistols

10-12 for shotgun

12-20 for rifle

Fast and Friendly is our motto! :FlagAm:

P.S. there are a number of comfortable hotels close by.

Great Idea Diablo... Who gave it to ya?!?!? :D

Seriously Pard, I think it would be great. I'll help as much as I can to help setup and getting ready and I'll be there to shoot....or what ever it is I do! :FlagAm:

Great Idea Diablo... Who gave it to ya?!?!? :blink:

Seriously Pard, I think it would be great. I'll help as much as I can to help setup and getting ready and I'll be there to shoot....or what ever it is I do! :FlagAm:

im planing on putting you to work Bear :D

thanks Oliver for your reply

im thinking 5-6yrds for pistols

10-12 for shotgun

12-20 for rifle

Fast and Friendly is our motto! :FlagAm:

P.S. there are a number of comfortable hotels close by.

Now bring them in one to two more paces and you got yourself a match. :D

Well written stages - that (when possible) allow choices regarding shooter movement direction or target flow.

Simple sequences - meaning the challenge is "How fast can you go?" not "Hows your memory?"

VERY limited (if any) split pistols - let skill and speed determine the fastest shooters not stage writing.

Flowing movement - not movement for movements sake, but actually shooting from different places because the target array requires it.

Knockdown shotgun - annuals hold never hinge on "Golden BBs"

Props add to the flavor of any match - stab the dummy - carry the gold bag - throw a drink in the face of the bartender.

Starting lines EVERY STAGE - they add to the atmosphere, they allow folks to ham it up (if they wish too) and MOST IMPORTANTLY they notify the TO that the shooter is ready (this allows the shooter to stage and prepare without the TO asking "Is the shooter ready?").

Plenty of clean Porta Potties - spread out among the stages (ya know - sometimes its a hike from the stage to the Porta Potty and the longer you are away - the fewer posse duties you are helping with).

Plenty of water - heat, humidity and no water are a great opportunity for trouble.

Keep it simple and close.

Make it fast and fun.

Make sure your shooters know you appreciate them by providing basic amenities (water and clean porta potties).

Your shoot will be successful.

Well written stages - that (when possible) allow choices regarding shooter movement direction or target flow.

Simple sequences - meaning the challenge is "How fast can you go?" not "Hows your memory?"

VERY limited (if any) split pistols - let skill and speed determine the fastest shooters not stage writing.

Flowing movement - not movement for movements sake, but actually shooting from different places because the target array requires it.

Props add to the flavor of any match - stab the dummy - carry the gold bag - throw a drink in the face of the bartender.

Starting lines EVERY STAGE - they add to the atmosphere, they allow folks to ham it up (if they wish too) and MOST IMPORTANTLY they notify the TO that the shooter is ready (this allows the shooter to stage and prepare without the TO asking "Is the shooter ready?").

Plenty of clean Porta Potties - spread out among the stages (ya know - sometimes its a hike from the stage to the Porta Potty and the longer you are away - the fewer posse duties you are helping with).

Plenty of water - heat, humidity and no water are a great opportunity for trouble.

Make it fast and fun.

Make sure your shooters know you appreciate them by providing basic amenities (water and clean porta potties).

10-4 on the port a potties -thanks for your comments Creek :FlagAm:

+1 on all the above.

Just add.

Things set up and ready to go before hand.

Start things on time. If it says safety meeting at 9:00. Then that is when it should be.

Keep things shooter friendly as all the posts above suggest.

+1 on all the above.

Just add.

Things set up and ready to go before hand.

Start things on time. If it says safety meeting at 9:00. Then that is when it should be.

Keep things shooter friendly as all the posts above suggest.

Thanks Al -hope you will attend and bring your better half! :D

No Rain for 3 weeks before if it's at Greenville :D
we have addressed that by adding more rock in the parking lot

and mulch around the stages and walk ways.Rain is a concern at any

out door venue .you pick your date and Pray. :wacko:

i know you will show up Jack unless you move down south :P

How 'bout offering a Wild Bunch Posse?

That posse runs each stage with SASS offical Wild Bunch rules.

Ya lost me there.

I am not a member. So don't have a vote.

But there are quit a few of us that just don't like the infringement of WB into

the main cowboy match.

As a separate match, or side match. Fine. But in with the main cowboy match.

No thanks.

Also there may be a few that want to shoot both. So why not just add a 3-4 stage WB match

after lunch on Sat.

Then those that want to shoot both can.

Adds more shooting to your match also.

Just a thought.

How 'bout offering a Wild Bunch Posse?

That posse runs each stage with SASS offical Wild Bunch rules.

That would definitely keep me away.

Posse flow. Do everything in your power to ensure each posse finishes about the same time all the other posses finish. I realize you can't prevent that 100% of the time but, you can go a long way toward helping flow by making sure all your fast shooters aren't on one posse while all your slow shooters are on another. That hurts both groups and everyone in between.

Many good thoughts here. Personally, I'd pick up the phone and call T-Bone or, in your case, go see him. Ask him what he is thinking when he decides what to do to make Comin' at Cha what it is. He is never satisfied that Comin' at Cha is as good as can be.

I'd also talk to:

Mose Spencer

Mogollon Drifter

Deuce Stevens

Possum Skinner

Santa Fe River Stan

I could certainly name some others, but if you could hear what each of the above have to say about what they do...it would be a heck of a start. I haven't shot all of the persons listed matches, but word gets around.

I think the best advice I could give you is: After you have your first one, ask people (one on one) to tell you what they didn't like.

wild bunch is do able but not during the regular match -as a side match ok

i think having them shoot the same stages as the regular match is not

what wild bunch is suppose to be.they need their own stages with the right

wild flavor to them :blink:

thanks Slim and Buck-that gives me something to think about :FlagAm:

A web site with GPS and physical address, email address and phone numbers

Pictures of the range/club

Decent motel close by, with contact information online

Hotdogs on fresh buns.

Online map showing locations of parking, registration and shooting bays

A web site with GPS and physical address, email address and phone numbers

Pictures of the range/club

Decent motel close by, with contact information online

Hotdogs on fresh buns.

Online map showing locations of parking, registration and shooting bays

what do you want on that dog? :FlagAm: thanks Mat all good ideas!

What makes a GREAT match? Something beyond the control of the Match Director et al.: A POSSE THAT CHEERS A WELL SHOT STAGE (AS DEFINED BY THE ABILITY OF THE SHOOTER), AND SHOOTERS THAT LAUGH AND HOOT AND HOLLER WHEN THEY SCREW UP!

Buena suerte!

eGG

What makes a GREAT match? Something beyond the control of the Match Director et al.: A POSSE THAT CHEERS A WELL SHOT STAGE (AS DEFINED BY THE ABILITY OF THE SHOOTER), AND SHOOTERS THAT LAUGH AND HOOT AND HOLLER WHEN THEY SCREW UP!

Buena suerte!

eGG

At least they are having fun!!! :P cant ask for more!

What dates are you considering for this Grand Match Diablo, Late March, April, or May?

And I prefer Hamburgers. :P

we are looking at late may early june dates :)

Many good thoughts here. Personally, I'd pick up the phone and call T-Bone or, in your case, go see him. Ask him what he is thinking when he decides what to do to make Comin' at Cha what it is. He is never satisfied that Comin' at Cha is as good as can be.

I'd also talk to:

Mose Spencer

Mogollon Drifter

Deuce Stevens

Possum Skinner

Santa Fe River Stan

I could certainly name some others, but if you could hear what each of the above have to say about what they do...it would be a heck of a start. I haven't shot all of the persons listed matches, but word gets around.

I think the best advice I could give you is: After you have your first one, ask people (one on one) to tell you what they didn't like.

Wow Buck....quite the compliment.....Thanks.....

Slim,

Send me an email and I will send you some of my thoughts that I have put together.....

stan@laststand.org

Stan

el Gato,

I will make sure that I hoot and holler and laugh at you Saturday then!!! :FlagAm:

Painted Filly

Your benevolent derision on Saturday, Chiquita, will be reserved for the fact that I will foolishly be staying home to do chores. Today I am wiring up a new A/C for the house, and unexpectedly having to install a new main panel on the premises. Tomorrow, I will be catching up on more of the same. DARN! I would rather be at the Charity Shoot!

And when I get procedurals or multiple misses, you will indeed have a difficult time laughing AT me ~ because you will be laughing WITH me. Too bad we each have to run Posses! We never get to shoot together except at big matches. Winter Range!!!

Su amigo,

eGG

You want stages where everyone feels like a winner after finishing them.

Stages that are about equal in time (few back ups).

Balanced posses: young and old, fast and slow.

Multiple R.O.s on each posse.

Sufficient hygiene stations.

Water stations.

Directions, maps, shooter books, phone numbers, websites, email addresses, etc.

Food variety.

Camping and hotel/motel accomodations.

Vendors.

Intersperse other fun things over the weekend if you want them to stick around: warm up matches, cowboy swap meets, chili cook offs, night shoot, poker tournament, couples shoot, cowboy karaoke, bring in outside entertainment (singer, group, gun twirling, poetry, or?)..........

Other entertainment/tourism opportunities nearby.

You want stages where everyone feels like a winner after finishing them.

Stages that are about equal in time (few back ups).

Balanced posses: young and old, fast and slow.

Multiple R.O.s on each posse.

Sufficient hygiene stations.

Water stations.

Directions, maps, shooter books, phone numbers, websites, email addresses, etc.

Food variety.

Camping and hotel/motel accomodations.

Vendors.

Intersperse other fun things over the weekend if you want them to stick around: warm up matches, cowboy swap meets, chili cook offs, night shoot, poker tournament, couples shoot, cowboy karaoke, bring in outside entertainment (singer, group, gun twirling, poetry, or?)..........

Other entertainment/tourism opportunities nearby.

sounds about right-o by the way the Audie Murphy museum is close by! :)

Make it fast and fun.

Someone better listen to this cowboy. Sounds like he has run a match or two. If not.......... then someone should let him.

:FlagAm:

Archived