SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Equiipment Requirements

Matt Clark

JUMPIN JEHOSAPHAT! Just read the December "Dispatches from Camp Baylor" and found it both very informative as well as shocking. Up till now I have participated in a few non-sanctioned single to four stage Wild Bunch matches mostly piggy backed on a regular Cowboy match. Next month I plan to try a sanctioned match in Las Cruces. But what has blown my mind is the stated equipment requirements for a match. 7 magazines?? Let's get real. It looks like SASS is going full bore IPSC and it really hurts. My math says that five magazines would suffice for a 25 round pistol stage. Five are easily portable, one in the pistol and four on the belt. OK if you want to carry one more for insurance against fumbling, it could be accomodated in a pocket. What about the extra shotgun rounds and/or rifle rounds. I can see our stalwart contenders looking just like their IPSC counterparts with nothing but ammo showing.

SASS has not put any restrictions on the maximum rounds that can be required per stage that I can see. I believe that this is one area that needs attention. I would suggest maximum of 25 pistol, ten shotgun and twelve rifle on any stage. This would keep stage times within reason and not demand extra large ammo expenditures, particulaly on big ten or twelve stage matches. We are not IPSC. Let's keep it cowboy friendly.

:D:wacko::P:FlagAm::FlagAm:

Five rounds per mag makes it easy to count & you can share the course of fire with a normal SASS stage.

MG

Is the 7 mags an absolute requirement or a suggested number of mags? From what I have seen from competitive WB shooters none of them carry 7 mags and I personally think it sounds excessive. I have not shot a sanctioned WB match yet but I am of the understanding that 20 rounds from the pistol is the norm.

BTW, this would be a great thread for the WB forums.. that way we wouldn't pollute the CAS forums with WB discussion.

Beau

Why don't you take this up on the Wild Bunch Forum http://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/

Just trying to help,

TB

Archived