SASS Wire Forum

Brass cleaning- Tumbling versus Ultrisonic

Willie Shootum

I am new to SASS and do my own reloading. I would like to hear the pros and cons of which is the best way to clean brass cases. Tumbling or Ultrisonic. In the past I have cleaned cases using a vinager and amonia solution. Is there any reason not to use that? Any advise is appreciated. Willie Shootum

Don't know anything about ultrasonics, but I have been using vibratory cleaners for about 25 years. I use walnut shell and a little dab of Dillons polish. Works great for me. I have heard that brass cleaners or polish with ammonia should be avoided, as they weaken the brass. Just what I heard.

Ultrasonic cleaners require liquid detergent solutions and leave the brass wet. So you'll need to dry it and then polish it using a vibrator.

The ultrasonics are good for cleaning an entire pistol without disassembly.

Just use a vibratory cleaner and you will be MUCH happier with the results. Be sure to use only non-ammonia containing polishes.

DD

Ultrasonic cleaners are good for things that have lots of small parts or where disassembly is a chore and you want to get crud out of the works. Some pards have ones that are big enough to dip an entire pistol in.

For brass, tumbling works fine. Not going to get into the "tumbler vs. vibratory cleaner" debate - either one will clean brass just fine.

Ammonia is not a good choice as a cleaning agent for brass. It causes what's known as stress corrosion cracking where the ammonia attacks the brass along lines of microfractures that are present in cartridge cases. These lines are the result of the manufacturing process where the brass slug is stretched out to form the tube. Another place that gets the lines is the case mouth, since it gets stretched out during the reloading process. It'll be where the case will split first.

Vinegar works, although it can turn your brass a reddish or pinkish color. Doesn't hurt it any. It's just a weak acetic acid, same as the instant tarnish removers on the TV infomercials. Just rinse real well after you get done soaking it.

I shot CAS for a year before buying a vibe type cleaner. Dirty brass don't bother me none, but loading on a single stage press I got tired of black fingers all the time.

Plus shiny brass helps the brass pickers find it better and therefore you get more back after a stage! :FlagAm:

I would like to hear the pros and cons of which is the best way to clean brass cases.

Ultrasonic - never used one to clean brass

Tumbling with dry media - insides of cases don't get cleaned - noisey and takes a long time

Tumbling with burnishing solution and media - IMHO, there is no better way to clean brass. Is quiet - takes a short time and the complete case is clean, inside and out

May want to read this ...

Cleaning Brass With and Without TSP

When I first began to reload, I didn't clean my cases either. Of course they didn't get dropped in the dirt and kicked around either. Once I started shooting CAS, it was time to clean cases ( with a vibratory cleaner). I like to use a mix of walnut and corncob media with a spritz of polishing goo. I prefer to have my media a bit damp so the dust with all of the nasty stuff doesn't contaminate my work area.

You can get walnut and corncob media at big pet stores as lizard litter cheaper than from gunshops. I don't think it matters so much on what kind of polish you use. I would stay away from the media that contains abrasives, it will be better on your dies.

Ultrasonic - never used one to clean brass

Tumbling with dry media - insides of cases don't get cleaned - noisey and takes a long time

Tumbling with burnishing solution and media - IMHO, there is no better way to clean brass. Is quiet - takes a short time and the complete case is clean, inside and out

May want to read this ...

Cleaning Brass With and Without TSP

I checked out that thread. Those people take cleaning their brass very seriously. I just don't see the point of it.

Those people take cleaning their brass very seriously. I just don't see the point of it.

Shaky- tis a true fact. The point is ... because dirty brass - that don't seal properly in the chamber, have dirty primer holes that don't seat primers properly and built up foul and dragon blood inside the case ... are not conducive for concentric shooting accuracy of a 500+ gr lead bullet:

* 200m offhand at the chickens or the turkeys @ 385m

* or trying to put holes in a 10" X ring @ 1000 yds

BPCR is not a sport just banging away at a target 7 - 12 yds away

Hmmm. Thought I posted here yesterday. Anyway, ultrasound cleaning works if you have just a few cases and use a good organic acid plus detergent solution. It’s not perfect, but works. I usually have almost a gallon of cases to clean and I shoot mostly black powder. I greatly prefer the wet type tumbler, mine is a Thumblers Model B. It holds a lot, gets them really clean, and needs no supervision. With BP I cover the cases with just enough detergent water to cover and let ‘em roll for an hour or so. Drain and refill with citric acid solution and detergent and let ‘er go another hour or so. I rinse and while they are wet I spritz on some Lee case lube, then hang them in an onion sack to air dry. No dust, no cob in th’ flash holes, and the lubed cases slide through a progressive press like butter through a goose.

prs

Just bought one of Hornady's Ultrasonic Brass Cleaners. When it gets here and I have had a chance to use it a few times, I'll tell you what I think of tumbler vs. ultrasonic.

IROT

Shaky- tis a true fact. The point is ... because dirty brass - that don't seal properly in the chamber, have dirty primer holes that don't seat primers properly and built up foul and dragon blood inside the case ... are not conducive for concentric shooting accuracy of a 500+ gr lead bullet:

John Boy, I only use the Holy Black in cap n ball. My brass is used only for smokeless. And my dirty brass is used on targets no more'n 100 yards away, usually much closer (SASS distances). But thanks for explaining the importance to some people of getting that brass so beautifully shiny. The only point that had resonated with me was that the brass pickers can spot the shiny stuff more easily!! I gotta admit, my dirty cases hide against the dirt real well.

John Boy, I only use the Holy Black in cap n ball. My brass is used only for smokeless. And my dirty brass is used on targets no more'n 100 yards away, usually much closer (SASS distances). But thanks for explaining the importance to some people of getting that brass so beautifully shiny. The only point that had resonated with me was that the brass pickers can spot the shiny stuff more easily!! I gotta admit, my dirty cases hide against the dirt real well.

Archived