SASS Wire Forum

RV Information

Taw Nightlinger SASS#60325

Cowboys/Cowgirls

Since my wife died months ago I have been thinking about going on the road to different shoots year round. But I have a dilemma, I would like to buy a motor home with a car in tow but how do I handle making my own ammo??? This is where I need help from more season Cowboys or Cowgirls travelers. I know the most pratical way would be to buy a toy trailer or have no car in tow and buy trailer to tow, you travelers aready know the plus and minus of these, but I want to stay with my first option RV and car.

Thanks for reading this post

Taw Nightlinger

The slickest way I've seen your situation handled is what Capt. George Baylor does.

* a class a motor home with a good diesel engine

* a car-hauler trailer large enough to mount loading equipment at the front end and drive a small car ("toad") into the trailer up the loading ramp.

When you get to a destination, back car out of trailer, and load some ammo.

Contact the fine Capt. by PM and he can tell you lots more.

But, there are lots of cheaper ways to do this. A 5th wheeler toy trailer with loading gear in the "toy" section would be what I would probably do. With a pull-curtain or divider to hide the loading gear. Then I'd drive locally in the tow truck. I like trucks more than small cars.

Good luck, GJ

Depends on yer budget. If ya can't afford a bus and a garage, then your reloading kit could be as simple as ya wanna make it. But if yer gonna live full time in an RV and need volume ammo, and yer by yerself or have a single companion, ya might could convert one of those RV tables that fits in a floor-mounted socket into a press mount. While "in camp" that table gets replaced with the press mount, and ya sit at the dinette and make yer ammo. Couple that with some sort of carry case (thinking maybe something like the big, tough bags like EZ-UP awnings come with) to stash the press in when not in use..... I'm thinking a press up to the size of a Dillon 550 would work in that scenario.

Next step up would be an RV designed as a toy-hauler, with that dedicated "garage" built-in, where folks normally have a motorcycle or some such. Turn that into a gun room/reloading room/cart corral. A rear placed toy hauler with just fairly light stuff inside instead of a motorcycle or two would reduce rear axle load, make it ride better....

Capt. Baylor sure has a slick and well thought out setup. I could never do it because I'm not that organized or neat.

I could never do that because it'd cost more than I can afford. BUT, if I put my mind to it, I think I could travel for months using my van and 6X10 cargo trailer converted to a mini travel trailer (we call it the Hillbilly Airstream) I'd set up a reloading bench that could be used in the trailer or in the van....

A guy comes through a RV park where I stay with a motorhome with a hydraulic "garage" in the back. The back opens up and the floor drops down to the ground to drive a Smart car in, then it raises back up and conceals the car inside. He keeps his motorcycle in there and pulls a small SUV behind. I'm sure it was big bucks, but the garage looks cool. Shelves for storage on the sides. I'm not sure if he can get there from the inside or not, but it looks like you should be able to.

I'm sure you can find somthing to fit your needs and budget even if it's a Lee Classic Loader in the glove box.

Hows about gettin a Black and Decker Workmate fold up work bench. They are pretty sturdy, cheap and can be used to mount a reloading rig, or table top, or rifle holder or anything else. A little creativity goes a long way.

I bolted a Dillon Square Deal to a 2x4 and stuck it in my B+D Workmate and loaded a bunch o bullets just the other day. I also have a large section of plywood screwed to a 2x4 that I clamp into the WM now I have a table to clean my guns. Makes a handy little clamp setup to do some wood working too.

Taw,

I followed my wife around the country while she was a traveling nurse in a 32’ fifth wheel for seven years. We would go to where we thought the cowboy clubs looked fun and we stayed for a minimum of three months We had three reloading presses and casting equipment on board. As it was said before you have to be neat and I only brought out one press at a time! I used one of those reloading stands from Midway and it worked well for my single stage and RCBS 4X4.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss it further,

Jasper

In a normal year, I travel a lot to CAS shoot in several states. Sometimes staying away from home for up to 3 or 4 months at a time. I have a 3/4 ton GMC EXT Cab PU with a Duramax/Allison, a sloped top topper, and pull a 27ft SonnyBrook travel Trailer behind it. Set up the trailer and use the GMC for driving when there. My Gun cart comes apart and is stored in the PU box under the topper when traveling, and put together and sets under the awning when at a shoot. My loading needs are met by a 2'X4' homemade table with removable pipe legs that is drilled for all my presses and has blind nuts on the bottom to mount the presses. The presses go under the seat of the eating booth in the trailer, and I only take one out at a time as needed. I usually have enough cast bullets with me for my needs, but I also have my casting equipment in a box in the rear storage of the trailer if I need to make more. I usually set the table up under the awning of the trailer and just use it as necessary.

Not as nice a set up as the fine Caption, but it work's for me and don't take up much space when not in use.

Reason for the trailer is if my PU has a break down, I don't loose my home with all the guns in it. Most garages will let you plug in your travel trailer when working on your Puller, and I don't want some mechanic in my living room working on my motor like a motor home would be in the garage.

Greeenriver

Until this summer, I had a Travel Supreme mid-engine with a garage in back. Can't get to the garage from the inside. I hauled a bike or two everywhere. Theres room to reload ammo inside if that's what you need to do. Plenty (if there is such a thing) of storage space in the "basements". Towed a Honda Accord some, but very hard to back-up with it on. I was never a fulltimer, but spent several weeks a year in it. Wish I could afford to keep it.

Archived