SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger coach- front bead sight threads?

Buckshot Frank

I just swapped mine out and it was staked in. Smithy.

#4 brass bead .175 diameter with 6-48 thread (available at Brownells)

Use Drill #31

Use Tap 6-48

That's your best bet right there. But I even use the larger 8-48. When you add a larger taller bead it becomes easier to knock it off if you try to use the small diameter threads. the #6 or #8 is more sturdy. Buy a set of their shotgun bead holders too. Get the steels ones. Save the big one for the #4 beads but take the others and drill them out to except piano wire big enough to make pin drifts. Now you have replaceable tip pin drifts. I have several sets with different wire sizes and different lengths.

Thanks guys. I have a couple of tap and die sets; I'll need to double-check that it has a 6-48 or 8-48 tap. Next time I place an order at Midway or Brownells, I'll order a #4 bead. What is the proper way to remove the original staked bead?

Colt- Nice tip about adding a rear bead. I can see how that can be helpful.

Thanks guys. I have a couple of tap and die sets; I'll need to double-check that it has a 6-48 or 8-48 tap. Next time I place an order at Midway or Brownells, I'll order a #4 bead. What is the proper way to remove the original staked bead?

Colt- Nice tip about adding a rear bead. I can see how that can be helpful.

What I did on my "Staked" bead, since I didn't know it was, was to use the Brownells bead removal tools and unthread the bead. That eventually sheared the bead off flush with the rib telling me that it was staked in. I then drilled it out for the thread size that I was using and proceeded onward from there (of course that way you will loose your "second" bead). But unless you have a tapered bit you will not be able to restake the bead a second time anyway. Smithy.

Archived