SASS Wire Forum

How to ship a rifle

Matthew Duncan

Have the Buyer mail you a license copy of the FFL they want you to send it to.

Take some 3/16" plywood and cut two pieces 48" x 14"

Take some 3/4" stock and cut 2 pieces 48" x 3 3/4" and 2 pieces 12 1/2" x 3 3/4"

Make a frame out of the 3/4" stock by gluing and nailing it to one of the 3/16" x 48" x 14" pieces.

I now have a wood box without a top. Sprinkle in the box one layer of Styrofoam peanuts.

Place in the wood box the rifle sealed in the cardboard box that the rifle came in.

Put the copy of the FFL license, a copy of my Driver's license (in color) and a letter stating you're the Seller (with address and phone numbers) and the Buyer's name and address. Put all this on top of cardboard box.

Fill the rest of the box full of Styrofoam peanuts.

Take the last piece of 3/16" x 48" x 14" plywood and using wood screws, fasten it on to the wood box.

Using a computer printer print out a LARGE "from and to" address label. The "To:" address is the address of the FFL taken from the FFL license copy. Tape it onto the wood box with clear shipping tape.

Print out some LARGE "Fragile" labels and tape them on all sides of the wood box.

Using more shipping tape cover all the box seams. This prevent the Handler from getting splinters and makes the box hard to enter quickly.

Take the box down to the Post Office. When they ask you if you have a guitar in there tell them no. Period.

Box weighted 20 pounds and cost $22.40 with delivery confirmation.

The next day go to USPS.COM and enter the tracking number, your email and the Purchaser's email addresses. USPS will email you and the Purchaser the progress of the rifle all the way up to the FFL!

Next problem...

Or just take it to UPS or Fedex & let THEM pack it for a couple bucks more-

When THEY pack it there is NO question if its damaged during transit :P

I've never paid more than $28 to let either ship a longarm- USPS sucks for gun shippin (IMHO course)

Sound like a good way to do it. One minor point, Delivery Confirmation is just what it says it is. It confirms delivery. It is scanned when you mail it and it is scanned "arrived at unit" when it gets to the delivery Post Office. It is scanned "delivered" when the carrier actually delivers it. I doesn't track in between. That's why it's so cheap. 70 or 80 cents. Insuring it covers agains loss or damage and the P O can keep track of it. Express Mail is the only thing offered by the Postal Service that has tracking. Registered Mail is the best. It costs about $11.50 more, but it is signed for every time it changes hands. Window clerk signs for it, then Dispatch clerk signs for it, then truck driver, and so on. Problem is, no plastic tape allowed, only paper tape, cause every seam has to be marked against tampering. I'm going to use your wood box idea on all the long guns I mail.

New rule if you're using UPS, picture ID is needed to mail a package.

Fed Ex raised it"s rates again also.

I just have a problem with letting UPS and Fed Ex know what I'm mailing. I'll pack my own box, thank you.

I just have a problem with letting UPS and Fed Ex know what I'm mailing. I'll pack my own box, thank you.

Well, hopefully they wont ask when you insure it :P

BTW- Delivery Confirmation assures you it was delivered - Dont assure you it was delivered to who you sent it to :D

...Delivery Confirmation is just what it says it is. It confirms delivery. It is scanned when you mail it and it is scanned "arrived at unit" when it gets to the delivery Post Office. ...

This is a post-only message. Please do not respond.

Matthew Duncan has requested that you receive a Track & Confirm update, as shown below.

Track & Confirm e-mail update information provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

Label Number: 0310 0480 0002 5498

Service Type: Priority Mail Delivery Confirmation

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delivered YOUNGSTOWN OH 44515 12/06/10 12:14pm

Sorting Complete YOUNGSTOWN OH 44515 12/04/10 8:14am

Notice Left YOUNGSTOWN OH 44515 12/04/10 7:36am

Arrival at Post Office YOUNGSTOWN OH 44515 12/04/10 5:51am

Acceptance NEW PARIS IN 46553 12/02/10 11:38am

Pick up my rifle or shotgun and take it to the unloading table? Fine, thank you.

Borrow a couple, or even a full set of CAS guns for a shoot?? No problem and your welcome to use them.

Let me arive at the unloading table to find you've taken my rifle or shotgun apart to fix a problem at the fireing ling??? You just bought that gun!!!!

One of my guns jams or breaks at the fireing line and is handed off?? Fine and thank you for takeing it to the unloading table.

But, when it gets there, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!! You put a screwdriver to one of my guns to repair it without asking me first, you have just bought that gun!!!!!

It absolutly amazes me how many people think they can take another person's guns apart without asking them first. I've seen this happen time and time again, and I repeat, you take my gun apart without asking first, you now own it and wil pay for it. And it will be at full market price.

Greeenirver

Havin a couple evinin drinks air we :P

This is a post-only message. Please do not respond.

Matthew Duncan has requested that you receive a Track & Confirm update, as shown below.

Track & Confirm e-mail update information provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

Label Number: 0310 0480 0002 5498

Service Type: Priority Mail Delivery Confirmation

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delivered YOUNGSTOWN OH 44515 12/06/10 12:14pm

Sorting Complete YOUNGSTOWN OH 44515 12/04/10 8:14am

Notice Left YOUNGSTOWN OH 44515 12/04/10 7:36am

Arrival at Post Office YOUNGSTOWN OH 44515 12/04/10 5:51am

Acceptance NEW PARIS IN 46553 12/02/10 11:38am

Who accepted it?

Who accepted it?

When I was emailed that it had "arrived" I call the Purchaser and let him know. He in turns calls me back to confirm the FFL has it.

Registered mail. Yep a signature at every step right up to "poof" doesn't reappear for another 50 years... :P

When I was emailed that it had "arrived" I call the Purchaser and let him know. He in turns calls me back to confirm the FFL has it.

Registered mail. Yep a signature at every step right up to "poof" doesn't reappear for another 50 years... :P

Then you also paid for "signature confirmation" - very smart & IMO needed addition to the delivery confirmation thing :D

Matthew: Nice write up. I too ship my firearms by USPS - Priority Mail - Insured and Delivery Confirmation Requested

I pay some extra dollars because I ship all my rifles in a rifle case that's inside a cardboard box that's just marked From and To on both sides. I seal every seam and corner of the cardboard with brown paper shipping tape. In the case, it's padded and just have to close it. I also remove the wood from the metal.

Last weeks shipment: NJ to FL for $45 and it took 3 days to be delivered

Matthew, my point was, Delivery confirmation is only scanned at the P O it comes from and the P O it arrives at. No scans at all the other offices it goes through. Express tracking and UPS tracking scan at every office it goes through. If it goes astray, you don't know where it is until it finds its way back to you. It's a minor point unless your package is late and you want to know where it is. I use Delivery Confirmation a lot so I know for sure it got there without calling the person I sent it to. I use a different service if it HAS to be there on time. I've got 25 years doing this and I've heard it all.

I have shipped long guns by USPS with no problems and relatively inexpensively.

I make sure that the gun is well padded and has the stock removed. Makes the package shorter so it does not look like a long gun. Then I create a shipping container out of two of the USPS boxes. I comes out looking pretty ratty, but the gun is well protected. I've been told that the fancier the package, the more likely it will create interest.

Never had any problems with USPS except for delivery confirmation, never has worked for me.

Just my 2 bits, pack em like ya like.

Doc McGee

"Box weighted 20 pounds and cost $22.40 with delivery confirmation."

Does that include insurance? I have shipped a number of rifles and SxS in the last few years and with full insurance covering $4-800 usually runs the shipping costs to $28-35.

Matt Duncan shipped the rifle to me just as he stated. My FFL received with no hitch. I have to say he did one heck of a job with the shipping crate that he descriped. I'm saving it in case I need to ship a long gun. Just to add to this, he is one fine gentleman to do business with.

I'd replace the peanuts with something that does not shift and let the internal box slam into the outside box. Firmly wrapped and twisted newsprint, kraft paper, bubble wrap, etc. Had too many goods damaged when the peanuts bounced around inside the outer box.

Good luck, GJ

I do USPS exclusively for long guns and have not had any problems. I use the Click N Ship on line system and require signature confirmation.

I also have a letter from The Postmaster General stating USPS Regs for the uninformed postal clerk.

About to do just this again so thanks for the reminders Matthew. Mine however is going to be even sneakier, its being broken down into two pieces and shipped in the box my supertrapp exhaust pipes for the HD came in years ago. Nice foam packing and it wont scream gun gun gun when it goes through with the rest of the Christmas packages this time of year.

I have sold and mailed by USPS several rifles, all in what I call my shiping case an inexpensive plano case that I strapped up with the super heavy duty fiberglass tape. Always prearranged with buyer to ship the case back to me and usually provide a return label in the case. Never a problem and the priority mail, insurance, delivery confirmation etc was faster and less expensive then UPS or Fedex.

Oh yeah I always insure any gun I ship to cover what I will be out if its "lost" and be able to reimburse the buyer immediately so I can carry on the fight with whoever handled the shipping.

Hey Pony,

Don't you have a reloading room that needs cleaning? You can't possibly be done yet :wacko: !

Now get back in there and finish the job :ph34r:

The last rifle I shipped I originally tried to ship it in an "inexpensive Plano case" and they refused it as it "looked like a rifle". So I took it back home and made a heavy duty cardboard box for it. I always take off the wood, just makes it so much more difficult to damage. Cost me more than 20 bucks though, you musta got some sort of discount.

Archived