SASS Wire Forum

1911's

Courth Pollard SASS # 22719

I would think that a basic action job would be more than sufficient for SASS. Perhaps there are some quality 1911 gunsmiths in our midst but if the word is out on one I do not know who yet. Be careful for there are a lot of people calling themselves SASS gunsmiths that are not and this will also come to pass with the 1911 I think.

Depends on what you're lookin' for. A 1911 action job can run from $50 to over a thousand dollars. It also depends on what you start with. Many cowboys want a gunsmith to paint a pig and turn it into a tiger. All you end up with is a pissed off striped pig.

If you've got a high quality 1911, send me a pm.

If you don't.....get a 1911 spring kit and learn how to properly set the hammer step. Not too difficult and probably all that is really necessary for a lower end 1911.

I have a 1911 coming for wild bunch.

I would like the names of gunsmiths that work on them.

ps if you have contact information please send it on

thankyou pards

CPP

Check HARD for locals (drivin distance) before you send it off :D

Meanin visit local dealers (they allways knows Smiths) & talk to everbody you can :D

1911's are bout the easiest handguns to work on IMHO :P

Depends on what you're lookin' for. A 1911 action job can run from $50 to over a thousand dollars. It also depends on what you start with. Many cowboys want a gunsmith to paint a pig and turn it into a tiger. All you end up with is a pissed off striped pig.

If you've got a high quality 1911, send me a pm.

If you don't.....get a 1911 spring kit and learn how to properly set the hammer step. Not too difficult and probably all that is really necessary for a lower end 1911.

good to see u back friend..per your suggestion, bought a Taurus 1911, needs some work, which category does it fall into

Dirt

Taurus has one heckova lot of features that you only find on a $1,000+ gun. Pretty good value for the money. I'm not sure about long term durability, but the ones I've seen tend to be a pretty good competition gun.

Hate sending you to California, but ....

Jim Hoag

8523 Canoga Ave Ste C

Canoga Park, CA 91304

(818) 998-1510

He is the best. Call him and ask what he charges. He worked on my Colt 1911 Combat Commander over 30 years ago when I lived in Los Angeles, and it is the most accurate, flawlessly operating pistol that I have owned. Your expense will be to ship to and from. He is reasonable in his rates.

MJJ

Most of your 1911 "big name" smiths are doing two lines of business: Custom carry options, and custom pistols for action shooting (IDPA, USPSA, etc..) or bullseye. Lots of the "action" mods are mag wells, extended controls, trigger work, grip enhancements, etc... Most of which you really don't need in Wild Bunch. IMHO, WB guns should look as close to the original 1911 as possible. Hanging Christmas lights and ornaments on a 1911 takes away from the atmosphere of a WB match.

The prominant 1911 Custom 'smiths include:

Cylinder & Slide (as mentioned above)

Clark Custom

Wilson Combat

Ted Yost

Tenring Precision

Heck, there are probably 2 dozen more . . .

Most "quality" 1911's are good to shoot out of the box. Strip the gun down, lube it up well (I use CLP). Then, a good 500 round test run will let you know what, if anything you need to do to get your pistol where you want it. Kimbers are known for tight engineering specs, so some folks recommend a 1000 round "warm up" to loosen them up.

Honestly, for WB, I think they only "mod" you may need is a little trigger job (if you buy a quality pistol to start with).

Archived