SASS Wire Forum

New here- Saying Hello

Buckshot Frank

Howdy y'all! I'm new here. I've been reading and learning for a few weeks now. My wife and I attended our first match (Miakka Misfits) a couple of weeks ago. We couldn't stay for long, but we saw and heard enough to know that we want to participate. We met some really nice folks (Deadly Headly, John E Law, I think, and some others). Everyone was great and a few offered to let us shoot their guns after the match. Unfortunately, we couldn't stay long enough to take anyone up on their offer. We are looking forward to the next match though.

I received some good advice to not purchace any guns until after trying some out. While this is sound advice, I'm not really a patient person. When I get interested in something, I tend to go full bore into it. The plan was to shop around and not purchase anything unless it was a great deal. Well the local gun store had a 20% off sale on Rugers last weekend. While I'm partial to the older cap and ball conversions, it sounds like the Rugers are the best bang for the buck for trouble-free shooters. I wanted the 7 1/2" barrels, but since I'll be sharing the guns with my wife I bought a pair of 4 5/8" Vaqueros in .38. Maybe I'll get my own '58 conversions down the road. The day after this purchase, I saw that another store had a sale on Stoegers. Can't pass up a good deal, so I bought the 12 guage coach gun. I still need a rifle and leather.

This is where I am stuck. I don't know what holster set-up will work best for me and my wife. I can't very well shoot in the next match without holsters. Should I just buy a cheap set-up to get started?

Anyways, sorry for the long first post. I told you that I tend to go overboard when I get interested in something :D . I'll probably just go watch the next match and ask a bunch of questions before buying anything else.

Buckshot

You have picked some good guns whether a beginner or pro. Take a breath now and slow down a little bit. While the revolvers are easy to share, the difference between men and women make long guns a little harder. As for leather take your time and buy the best you can afford. Leather is even harder to share, again it is that difference between men & women. Have fun, listen to your local shooters, they can probably guide you to the best leather in your area. Again be safe, have fun and go shoot.

Welcome to the fire,

Marlin

Welcome to the ride. I am new at this also. I have shot in 7 shoots. I have done like you jumped out and bought and then did not like. I have gotten 3 set of leathers.Love the last set.Bought 3 sets of gun love the 2nd set. bought 6 shotguns love the last two.If you get with the people in a club they wiill save you lots of mess ups.I bought before I ever meet with club members.The club members may have leathers you a use for a shoot or after their match you could try differant leathers.Dont just buy.You both will have to see what you like.Just go to the club and get with the pards there.It is the best place to meet the greatest people in the world.There may be some in what ever club you go to you dont care for. but most of the people in SASS and CAS will be the greatest people you have ever been around. Have fun.

Buckshot Frank,

Welcome to CAS and the wire.

While sharing guns can be done and a good cost cutting plan have the long guns fitted to your wife. It is easier for you to use a gun that is too short than for her to use one that is too long.

Sharing leather could be done but would be difficult and soon become tiresome. At the next match you attend you should be allowed to stage your handguns, if not some one will loan you a set. Ask around for leather workers. It seems cowboys are a cheap...er I mean frugal bunch and invariably some one will make their own leather gear to save money and quickly expand to making rigs for others. This person should be able to help you sort through some of your options, such as crossdraw or straight hang, shotgun slide or separate shotgun belt, and so forth.

One more note on sharing guns let the organizers know when you register that you will be sharing guns, so they can separate you with a couple of other shooters so that one of you will have time to clear the guns at the unloading table before the other needs to go to the loading table. Also let them know what guns and gear you need. I guarantee you will have cowboys falling all over themselves for you to borrow they back ups.

Hope this helps

Smoke

I started looking for my guns after I watched a shoot on July 4th. I got what I consider good deals on all my guns and had them all by the November shoot. I got all but my shotgun from local club members and got it from a nieghboring club member that was coming to our shoot. He brought it to me. I didn't have to pay shipping and didn't buy anything that I didn't get to look at first. Your local club is the best place to look for other guns you might need, or want.

Welcome to the fire. It's in your blood now, so it's too late to warn you.

Buckshot Frank,

Welcome to CAS and the wire.

While sharing guns can be done and a good cost cutting plan have the long guns fitted to your wife. It is easier for you to use a gun that is too short than for her to use one that is too long.

Sharing leather could be done but would be difficult and soon become tiresome. At the next match you attend you should be allowed to stage your handguns, if not some one will loan you a set. Ask around for leather workers. It seems cowboys are a cheap...er I mean frugal bunch and invariably some one will make their own leather gear to save money and quickly expand to making rigs for others. This person should be able to help you sort through some of your options, such as crossdraw or straight hang, shotgun slide or separate shotgun belt, and so forth.

One more note on sharing guns let the organizers know when you register that you will be sharing guns, so they can separate you with a couple of other shooters so that one of you will have time to clear the guns at the unloading table before the other needs to go to the loading table. Also let them know what guns and gear you need. I guarantee you will have cowboys falling all over themselves for you to borrow they back ups.

Hope this helps

Smoke

Yeah- I plan to cut down the buttstock of the shotgun to fit my wife. It will be no big deal for me since I prefer to shoot tactical rifles and shotguns with a short length of pull anyways. I'm a "nose to the charging handle" guy. We currently both shoot my AR's and Mossberg 500 at the same stock setting (adjustable stocks).

You are probably right about sharing leather. I found one belt that happens to be right for her on the smallest setting while still fitting me on the longest setting (based on the internet specs). Not much wiggle room there. Finding one belt that fits both of us might result in having one that doesn't really fit either of us well. Sounds like the best plan of action is to hold off on the leather until we figure out what is going to work for us.

Welcome, I'll bet that if you ask your new pards, someone has leather you can borrow. My wife did that for a few shoots. Also, you'll want to get that shotgun fitted to her. You can shoot it just fine if it is a little short, but she won't have any fun if it's too long.

Good thinking on the pistols. You will want a second set down the road. Marshal Morgun

Welcome to the fire. Cut the long guns for her and buy yourself a cheap slip on recoil pad. Don't be surprised if she takes a liking to a 97. Seems a lot of women really like them. Never have figured out why?

Welcome to the fire. Cut the long guns for her and buy yourself a cheap slip on recoil pad. Don't be surprised if she takes a liking to a 97. Seems a lot of women really like them. Never have figured out why?

I'm sure that she would like the '97; she loves shooting the Mossy 500. We got the pistols that she wanted, so I got the shotgun that I wanted :FlagAm: . It probably would have made more sence to get the '97 since it functions the same as the 500 that she is already confortable with, but I've already got a pump gun. I wanted something different.

I would guess that women have an easier time with the '97 because of the smoothness of the action. The Stoeger takes some effort to break open. I need to do a little work on it to slick it up a bit. I need to take it to the range first to make sure that it works before I start hacking and filing on her though.

Sharing guns and leather can be done,but it'll get old fast,just takes too much time,and increases the chance of sweeping people when you get in a hurry to swap gear.

Cheap leather is asking for a dropped gun if too cheap,been there done that....bent over to pick up a gold pan,and there lay my loaded pistol.Cost me a hundred bucks as it was a major match.

For long guns,a tuned Marlin or '73 is a joy to shoot,and can help make up time lost suffing shells in a double barrel.Doubles take practice to load efficiently.

Welcome to a whole lot of fun !!

Yeah- I plan to cut down the buttstock of the shotgun to fit my wife. It will be no big deal for me since I prefer to shoot tactical rifles and shotguns with a short length of pull anyways. I'm a "nose to the charging handle" guy. We currently both shoot my AR's and Mossberg 500 at the same stock setting (adjustable stocks).

You are probably right about sharing leather. I found one belt that happens to be right for her on the smallest setting while still fitting me on the longest setting (based on the internet specs). Not much wiggle room there. Finding one belt that fits both of us might result in having one that doesn't really fit either of us well. Sounds like the best plan of action is to hold off on the leather until we figure out what is going to work for us.

Buckshot Frank,

Sounds like you have a handle on the long gun fit (pun intended). I'm also a "nose to the charging handle" guy. Short stocks are one of the go fast tricks of this game.

Something that might get you through the short run on leather. Spring for a decent to good complete set for her. Get an extra set of holsters for yourself and hang them on a heavy leather duty/tactical belt if you have one. You might even get your holsters for the longer barrels of the 58's your wanting. Then down the road you could get a better belt for yourself. Of course all this assumes she is as dedicated (hooked) to the sport as you are.

Welcome and good luck,

Smoke

Hi Pard and Welcome,

I just posted the following on another thread. It is something for you to consider before a purchase.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You've got good advice. One thing to consider before getting leather is what style you will shoot. If you want to shoot gunfighter style (two guns out at one time) or double duelist (one gun at a time but left gun shot with left hand and right gun shot with right hand) you will need a double-strong side holster. If you want to shoot duelist with one hand, you will need a cross draw. If you use a two-handed grip, either a double-strong side or a cross draw will work.

Check out the SASS Shooter Handbook for other category requirements. B-Western has clothing, leather, and rifle specifics; but, any shooting style may be used. In age-based categories, any shooting style (except gunfighter), SASS-legal guns, and leather may be used. If you want to shoot a black powder category, you may not use a '97 SG. There are more details than I've listed. So, be sure to check the booklet and know what category you want to start with and whether you may change after a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About sharing leather. That could be a good idea, if it's cheap, until you know what you really want. It would need to be a belt with both holsters being movable or they could be in a bad position for a comfortable draw.

I love my '97 and have one handy as a self defence gun at home.

Happy Trails!

Allie Mo

Welcome to the fire!

For the first 6 months or so I shot with just modern leather holsters on a sturdy belt. Much of that time I was shooting with at least partly borrowed guns as I got mine bought.

Go out, play the game, let clubs know you are coming and likely as not someone will have holsters you can use. It's a good idea to take along a sturdy belt though, as the belt they have may not fit you.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Grizz

Welcome! I've been at it a year and it's a blast! If you google "slicking up a Stoeger shotgun", you will find some good info, especially folks like Marauder, who is one of us.

Howdy, pard and welcome to our little fahr.

What ye shore shudda did is when you subscribed to this forum is at least put your location in your profile. Thataway if someone were close by they mebbe so could help ya out and such as that.

Do not despair tho. It ain't too late. Just go back in and edit your profile. EZ peazy. Luck to ya.

Keep a eyeball peeled here to the SASS Wire Classifieds which is absolutely the best place to get leather and a riflegun worth the money.

Try posting a WTB (want to buy) in the classified section. Be sure to list the size belt you need for the rig. Most people look for a rig that buckles on the center hole about 4" larger than their waist. Note that I said most as not all go that direction.

You will do well to go to more matches, handle guns and even let people tell you about their leather. There's a lot that the casual observer might not notice. Work the unloading table. It's an excellent place to check out equipment because after the guns are cleared, people love to talk about their gear.

The most important thing is to watch out for John E. Law. He's my long lost, black sheep of the family, younger brother that I've never met. :FlagAm:

Welcome and enjoy!

Buck D. Law

Archived