SASS Wire Forum

San Antonio, Texas, River Walk

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

A few weeks ago I asked the Texas pards what was their sage advice about the River walk.

Well, I took the advice of several and we are having a great time in San Antonio now.

We paid our respects to the Alamo today and took a boat ride tgonight. We are staying an extra day also and will have dinner in the Tower tomorrow night.

Thanks all you Bubbas, and no disrespect meant.

Pack

When we entered the Alamo there were a couple of uniformed officers there and one inside. Those were the only ones I noticed. Crowds were down and it is nice.

When we entered the Alamo there were a couple of uniformed officers there and one inside. Those were the only ones I noticed. Crowds were down and it is nice.

They are the Alamo Ranger's They are the private security that guards the Shrine 24/7.

I have been there at 3 AM and there is at least one out front, and one in the back.

Alamo Kid

They are the Alamo Ranger's They are the private security that guards the Shrine 24/7.

I have been there at 3 AM and there is at least one out front, and one in the back.

Alamo Kid

Are you sure they are private security? One of my friends from college is an Alamo Ranger, and I thought I heard him say they were state employees.

I was down in San Antonio a few months back for my friend's wedding, and I have to add that the River Walk is amazing.

Prior to the 1968 World's Fair (Hemisfair) the river walk was a dangerous and forbidding place. When I was stationed in SA in 1963 the river walk was off limits to all military personnel because of the danger. The fair changed all of that. There was a big clean up, rennovation, and very heavy police patroling. The river walk is a highlight of the city now. It proves that things can change if the city and people have a will for it.

Buck

I'll be visiting Riverwalk at the end of January. I will be attending Solidworks World 2011, which is the annual geek engineer meeting. I am looking forward to seeing the Alamo, as I have never been there.

If any of you will also be attending SWW 2011, let me know and we can meet there.

Glad your enjoying your visit. If you want to eat on the River Walk, my recommendations, as a local, are the Iron Cactus, Rio Rio Cantina, or Casa Rio. All on the same side of the river and within a couple of blocks of each other. The Zuni Grill is supposed to have good lunch specials as well. Enjoy!

I and my family visited the Alamo as well as the River walk about 4 years ago. We had the best time and the folks were very friendly. I have every intention of being there again next November, from there I'm planning on getting to San Angelo to shoot at "Massacre on the Concho 2011" I really hope it works out, Texas Coyote has already voluntered his guns and ammo and that's before even we even meet. Now thats a pard for you, If for no other reasons I would maintain my SASS membership just to be associated with that kind of folks and be able to say I belong to such a brotherhood.

Thanks ya'll!

In 1981 I pulled up to the red light by the Alamo and asked a guy on the corner if he could give me directions to the Alamo. He laughed and pointed across the street. I was in shock that they had built the town around it. I was hoping to see Bowie and Crockett on the wall with guns ready. Ha!! Ha!! How could the towns previous government allowed this. It should have been given a much wider berth for all that took place there.

One of my sons got down on one knee and proposed to his girlfriend right there on that little island the boats circle around on the river walk. He was a new graduate of basic training and she said yes. It was pretty special. People looking out windows, people on the boats were cheering, and made everyone's day.

Nice place.

Are you sure they are private security? One of my friends from college is an Alamo Ranger, and I thought I heard him say they were state employees.

I was down in San Antonio a few months back for my friend's wedding, and I have to add that the River Walk is amazing.

Howdy,

I called the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, and spoke with a representative of the org.

The Alamo Ranger's are a private security force, with the license being held by the DRT.

They belong to the Alamo. I understand all are trained police officers.

Fairshake, I had the same reaction--surprised to see the Alamo surrounded by downtown San Antonio. But we enjoyed it very much, and the River Walk is an example of urban renewal at its finest. I don't know how the Texians feel about it, but visitors love it.

We were there in 98.My cousin and all of her kids and grandkids live in SA.We too saw the Alamo,did the boat rides,ate at one of the best mexican restraunts we've ever been to,but can't remember the name of it.It was along the river.I found out during the tour of the Alamo,that a lot of the original buildings had been taken apart piece by piece and moved then reassembled for some of the still existing stores etc. close by.Hope to get back there again in the next few years.

In the early 90s I was stationed at Ft. Chaffe Arkansas, a very remote posting as there were no facillities what so ever. If you had an injury or illness that required more than a band-aid or an asprin, they would send you to the nearest Army hospital, which just so happened to be Brooke Army Hospital in San Antonio. I had a rather troubling jump injury to one of my ankles that finally required attention and was off to San Antonio. Due to flight scheduling and availability, I normaly spent five days there at a time and only 4 to 6 hours of that was spent at Brooke. I spent the remainder at the Alamo, the River Walk, the Buckhorn and every museum that I could find. There is nothing finer than a cold schooner of Shiner's Bock down on the Riverwalk on a hot Summer day. Needless to say I list that area as one of my favorite in the world.

Buck Rio hit it dead on!

When I went through basic in 1966 they threatened us if we even considered going to the River Walk.

My next trip to SA was in 81 and someone suggested we try a eatery on the River Walk and the old warnings flashed right up. The folks in SA can be proud of what they did. They took a Sow's Ear and made it a silk purse!

Archived