SASS Wire Forum

another 1873 rifle problem

Kiowa Kid, SASS #69870L

Howdy,

Well I ran across a problem while doing some part swaps, I bought a Rifle from a pard off the wire the rifle can as advertised in great shape, Thanks Rowdy, well it came with a aluminum carrier which I don't care for, so I went to swap it out with a skelentonized brass carrier I had, it worked great before the swap, but now the carrier wants to drop before the bolt is all the forward so it catches the bolt and will not close, I know how to fix it, I will have to re-time the carrier to drop a little later but I found it odd that a carrier can be so different that I have to re-time the rifle.

If I'm not on the right track feel free to speak up.

Thanks

KK

This happens all the time if the rifle has a short stroke. You have to relieve either the carrier and/or the back side of the bolt head to get clearance. Measure your aluminum carrier. Most have deeper bolt head recesses to give clearance for short strokes.

+ One for Pettifogger. You probably don't need and shouldn't re-time. For a short stroke kit, the top shoulders at the front of the Carrier Block have to be relieved (pushed back) to allow for the earlier carrier drop. As an alternative. you may also push the back of the front lug on the Breach Block forward to accomplish the same thing. About a 16th of an inch either way.

Coffinmaker

Archived