SASS Wire Forum

How to darken finished leather

Seldom Seen #16162

I looked at a commerically made carbine scabbard that is smooth side out natural color with some type of finish on it. I suppose the finish is to make it water resistant. The other problem is it is too light to match my saddle. I know I can darken it by leaving it in sun next summer but I would like to darken it this winter. Is there a way to darken it indoors?

They make some stuff to "degloss" leather. I've used it on finished items and then you can make it darker if you want. If ya got a Tandy leather nearby, they got it, if not, you can order it....

A can of black spray paint from the Dollor store comes to mind. However, if you go this route, put newspaper down under the scabbard on the table first, and take the suger and salt and pepper shakers off, along with any dishes that may be left there befor spraying the scabbard. That makes life much easer with the wife when done. Oh, and don't do this as she is putting supper on the table, she will get really upset if you do. :o:D:unsure::lol::lol:

Some of my cost saving ideas ain't come out so real good over the years.

Greeenriver

If u have the scabbard at hand, put some alcohol on a q tip and find a hidden spot and see if the coating is alcohol soluble. U could then wipe down the case with alcohol. The dyes I use from Tandy are alcohol soluble. I usually put 1 part dye in 3 or 4 parts alcohol and apply with a cotton ball (and rubber gloves). go easy on the color-u can't take it back if it is too dark.

100% pure neatsfoot oil. It tends to get through almost any finish and will turn tan to brown or brown to dark brown. Apply generously and then let sit a day or two to see the final results. It will also serve to help weather-proof the leather.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Greenriver I have a recipe on how to make warm reloads by heating them in the oven I'll be glad to share with you. :P

Tried that. As soon as I get a new stove and oven, I'll try your recipe, too. :D:D

Greeenriver

Oh, one other thing. It might work better to apply the neatsfoot oil to the inside of the leather (rough side) assuming the item is not made from two pieces of leather glued together with smooth side out on both sides of the item. The rough side will absorb the oil better. It takes a day or two for the oil to completely disperse through the leather, but it does a good job giving you a little darker shade.

If you use Neatsfoot Oil be sure it is "pure" and does not contain mineral oil or other petroleum based products. They can lead to decay of non-synthetic stitching and speed break down of leather itself.

I have used a couple of coats of shoe polish to darken leather. Might try that.

I am not sold on the idea of using Neatsfoot Oil as it makes the leather soft and it stains anything it comes it contact with. Also I don't believe I could get it all the way down inside it. Removing the finish or using good ole summertime sun to due the job sounds like the best way to go.

Archived