SASS Wire Forum

Don Meredith

Tomboy

Howdy,

Don has died, sure miss him on Monday Night Football, seemed like a good guy.

He starred in Police Story and his character had that same wry sense of humor which you could see on MNF. Police Story, the series from the 70's, I remember as being first rate.

I searched Netflix and Amazon for Police Story, but all I can come up with is Jackie Chan garbage.

Hard to believe there is no anthology out there for viewing. I think this was Wambaugh originated, anybody know if this has been preserved?

It would be great to see old Don again.

-T

A man with a lot of CLASS! We could use a few more like him in all sports disciplines today.

Turn ON the lights in heaven!! The party's about to start.

Even the good Lord can use a laugh now and then!!

Howdy,

Don has died, sure miss him on Monday Night Football, seemed like a good guy.

He starred in Police Story and his character had that same wry sense of humor which you could see on MNF. Police Story, the series from the 70's, I remember as being first rate.

I searched Netflix and Amazon for Police Story, but all I can come up with is Jackie Chan garbage.

Hard to believe there is no anthology out there for viewing. I think this was Wambaugh originated, anybody know if this has been preserved?

It would be great to see old Don again.

-T

Check this: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0580575/

Texan thru & thru

One of my all time favorite Dallas Cowboys

RIP Dandy Don

Read that this morning. Sorry to hear that news. Don was a pretty neat fellow. Born and raised in Mt Vernon, Franklin County, Texas. Mt Vernon is only about 20 miles from my house and they have a small Don Meredith museum there. My home town (Bogata) played Mt V in high school football (they often beat us badly---once about 98-6, but that was a few years after Don's days, more into the Bobby Maples era, another good football player from Mt V). Of course, Don was, and still is, some what of a local hero.

Just read it myself, those sure were the days.

RIP

One of his best lines was delivered in response to one of Cossell's lengthy lectures...

"Who cares, Howard??"

... I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the game. :unsure:

I always enjoyed the banter between Don and Howard Cosell. Don would make some humorous remark or observation or other, and Howard would respond with a plethora of polysylabic words that would have one reaching for a dictionary.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

A Great Cowboy, Texan and American; I loved him. MNF was at it's best with he and Frank and Howard. "Turn out the lights, the party's over"!!

RIP and God Bless

Hoss

Just saw a tape of Dandy Don this past weekend. One of the local TV sports guys was talking with Walt Garrison (Dallas Cowboy fullback back in the 60's and 70's) and remembering a line that Meredeth had delivered regarding Garrison.

"If it was 3rd and 4, Garrison would get you five. If it was 3rd and 20, Garrison would get you five."

It was a typical Meredith line, and it still makes Garrison laugh.

Turn out the lights, indeed... :unsure:

Regards, TJH

During the Tampa Bay Buc's 1st ever MNF game, the camera panned the crowd to a T.B. Bucs' banner that was probably 15' long by 5' wide. The banner said somthing about the Bucs, as soon as the camera hit the banner......the pro-Bucs banner dropped and the banner underneath said Howard Sucks. Dandy Don just chuckled and said "Well, we're not going to comment on that". Still funny as hell to me.

I always enjoyed the banter between Dandy Don and Howard Cosell. Don would make some humorous remark or observation or other, and Howard would respond with a plethora of polysylabic words that would have one reaching for a dictionary.

Archived