SASS Wire Forum

Hawaii Handgun law?

DOCBRAZOS, SASS#18033L

Was checking in to handgun law in Hawaii.

Found the following.......

Reference §HRS 134-4

No transfer of any rifle by any person under the age of eighteen.

No person shall possess any firearm that is owned by another, regardless of whether the owner has consented to possession of the firearm, without a permit. Any lawfully acquired rifle or shotgun may be lent to an adult for use within the state for a period not to exceed fifteen days without a permit.

No person shall knowingly lend a firearm to any person who is prohibited from ownership or possession of a firearm under section 134-7.

Does this mean you can't loan another SASS Shooter who is just visiting a set of guns for the Day?

Looks Like I may get another chance to go to Hawaii and I'd sure like to get a match in if Possible!

And as a side note I also found the following

Reference: §HRS 134-9

No person shall carry concealed or unconcealed on the person a pistol or revolver without being licensed to do so under this section or compliance with section 134-5© or 134-6.

Note: There is no compact agreement between Hawaii and other states that would permit police officers on official assignment in Hawaii to be armed and exempt from the provisions of the Hawaii Revised Statutes relating to firearms.[/quote]

I bet this satute makes the State Popular for LEO's picking up fugitives!

Hey Doc, the way I read it, YES, you can BORROW without a permit, but you must have a permit to TRANSFER or KEEP.

"Any lawfully acquired rifle or shotgun may be lent to an adult for use within the state for a period not to exceed fifteen days without a permit. "

In the other part that says, "No person shall possess any firearm that is owned by another", POSSESS most likely means KEEP.

Lending (for up to 15 days) is OK, but it cannot be KEPT by another or TRANSFERRED to another (you gotta give it back to its lawful owner).

And the thing about LEO's is just crazy! Somewhere there is probably something that says an incoming armed LEO must inform someone he/she is coming in and traveling armed. IMHO. But what do I know? I can barely afford to TYPE Hawaii, let alone VISIT!

hahaha

If ya go, have a great trip, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you yours!

SOso

Hi Doc,

Under HR 218, any LEO or Honorably Retired LEO can carry any where in the 50 states. You just have to get a card or endorsement from your respective agency!

I have one from the Orange County California Sheriff's Dept. and have renewed it here in Oregon with the Jackson County Sheriff's Dept.

Hope that heps with the LEO Concealed Carry question.

Your pard,

Marshal Law

Hi Doc,

Under HR 218, any LEO or Honorably Retired LEO can carry any where in the 50 states. You just have to get a card or endorsement from your respective agency!

I have one from the Orange County California Sheriff's Dept. and have renewed it here in Oregon with the Jackson County Sheriff's Dept.

Hope that heps with the LEO Concealed Carry question.

Your pard,

Marshal Law

No kidding? I had heard that it was a point of contention in some states. Was recent legislation passed or was I misinformed?

Under HR 218, any LEO or Honorably Retired LEO can carry any where in the 50 states.

Yea that's a little different deal as that is Federal Law.

There basically sayin a California officer on Official duty can't cary in Hawaii!

Hi Doc,

HR 218 applies to all LEOS retired or active!

The State of Hawaii can not forbid an active or Honorably retired LEO from carrying a concealed handgun.

That said, there are some prohibitions, such as you can not carry on federal transportation carriers, federal owned buildins or reservations and some state buildings and lands.

I hope that helps.

Your pard,

Marshal Law

I live in Kailua Kona Hawaii on the Big Island of Hawaii. I'm the match director for the cowboy matches at our local gun club. We're not affiliated with SASS because our insurance is only for a half million, not the full million required by SASS.

Reading a statute or law doesn't really explain the enforcement procedures in common use. Examples:

Hawaii is a "shall issue" state, but the four police chiefs of our four counties have yet to issue the first CCW license. The law allows for CCWs but the individuals with the authority to issue same have chosen to not do so.

A retired Hawaii LEO is not authorized to carry a weapon. Plus, LEOs from other jurisdictions should be careful because local police have orders to disarm and arrest anyone carrying a concealed weapon (even a LEO who is following the federal statutes allowing them to carry), but I don't believe anyone has actually been disarmed and/or arrested.

We have to register every weapon we own and anyone coming into the state of Hawaii must register their firearms within several days. So, if you are hunting in Hawaii (or are a LEO on vacation) you must register your firearms at a local police sup-station. This said, I understand that well over half of the weapons in Hawaii are yet to be registered and that law has been in effect for almost two decades now. Then, police are supposedly authorized to confiscate any firearms they believe have not been registered, but I have not heard of anyone who has had a firearm confiscated. A problem for local police is that all of the registration documents are hard copy on file at local police offices. So, if you land in Honolulu and register your firearm there, then come to the Big Island, a Big Island police officer would have a hard time verifying that your weapon was registered.

In summary, Hawaii is like most areas in that most of our statutes and laws are not well enforced, and when they are enforced, enforcement error abound.

• 1 month later...

Haole

Now that's good info........

Just trying to decide if it's worth while to carry lether or just borrow when I come to Honolulu.

I pretty well had it figured out that I won't be taking any handguns. ( long guns either for that matter ).

I plan on adjusting my trip to coincide with a match, Ain't no way am I going that far and not trying to get a match in!

Haole

Now that's good info........

Just trying to decide if it's worth while to carry lether or just borrow when I come to Honolulu.

I pretty well had it figured out that I won't be taking any handguns. ( long guns either for that matter ).

I plan on adjusting my trip to coincide with a match, Ain't no way am I going that far and not trying to get a match in!

Doc. I lived in Hawaii (Maui) for 13 yrs. I have also visited on numerous trips as my wives folks live there. I visited at Christmas one year and took my cowboy guns to shoot in the SASS Hawaii State Match. You just go to the police station a day or two after arrival and carry the guns in with you. They record serial #'s and give you a paper for each one and you're good to go. No charge either.

Doc, don't forget what I told you - or I think I told you. Contact Singing Bear in Oahu. The office can get you his information or, rather, they will contact him to give him your information. If Singing Bear is not still active they can find someone else.

Personally, I would not go through the commotion of bringing guns to Hawaii for a short duration trip. Long term, like for No No, that would be different. If I was going to shoot there I'd pack my own leather for convenience and borrow the guns I needed. I'd bring my own ammo, too; I think it would be easier but maybe not. See the related thread on that subject i replied to a few minutes ago.

***Nubbins***

Archived