SASS Wire Forum

Tin Star Christmas

paisano

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ya'll done went and Hijacked a post. Clownin' around I guess. Tin Star is a great place to shoot and make movies or training videos for SASS. Ya'll help them out CL will keep them straight.

Paul, what was ????Show us that gesture with your hands again :D:blink: What was her name???? :FlagAm:

I guess we did kinda high jack this thread didn't we?!

Next time you clowns wanna talk about clowns you need to start a new thread.

Of all the themes you could have come up with for CAC it had to be the circus?

Did you notice how I have withheld the information regarding my my strong dislike for clowns until my daughter went and blabbed it to the whole world?

I knew that was information you guys just didn't need to have.

And now Goody is posting pictures of evil clowns.... I know it's only a matter of time before one of you guys shows up at a monthly match wearing a rubber nose and big floppy shoes.

Hey TBone.... speaking of floppy.....

Paul got a big laugh out of your comment and wants to know if you want her phone number.

You should have never let it slip out about the clown thing.

Can see it now. Scary clowns jumping out at you EVERYWHERE you go. :D

Now we would not do that??? Would we???? :P

Thank you MB for letting us in on it. :wacko:

I thought you were my friend!!!!???

Oh yes, I'm your friend. But it's a security issue. Us dirty old men like to make you cute young things feel a little scared, so you'll need us to protect you. :wacko:

It's all very mental don't you know. :D

I gotta take my meds and go to bed now. :P

HMMMMMMM is that one of those oxymorons (or perhaps just morons?).....

Old men = protection Yep moronic

Dirty old men = Cute young thing feeling scared Now thats a truth! Dirt is scary!

Are we still talking about TinStar Ranch Christmas or did we go to another subject?

I enjoyed the match, got to watch Concho Billy shoot a CLEAN MATCH even though he was sick with some kind of crud. Shame he didnt get recognized for that because the targets were smaller than we usually shoot and much further away. I think Fred and his crew did a good job and nobody mentioned the posse competitions at the end of the match. Congrats to Posse 3 (I think) who won that with a 7.71 second time.

I had never seen this before but they had a 2x4 about 2-3 feet long strung horizontal between two posts and a 4x4x4 block of wood on a shelf. Everybody loaded their rifles to the max were all shoulder to shoulder and aimed at the 2x4 piece of wood. When he timer went off, a designated shooter shot the block off of the shelf with his revolver and this was the cue for the rest of the shooters to shoot the 2x4 until it broke in half. My posse 4 did it in 9.7 seconds or so.

On the berm behind the target it looked like a gunship had opened up on the berm with one of those vulcan chain guns.

Quite Impressive Fred...thanks..

another question. There were a bunch of Fredericksburg/Kerrville,Austin,area shooters that did not attend...is something going on there?

Are we still talking about TinStar Ranch Christmas or did we go to another subject?

I enjoyed the match, got to watch Concho Billy shoot a CLEAN MATCH even though he was sick with some kind of crud. Shame he didnt get recognized for that because the targets were smaller than we usually shoot and much further away. I think Fred and his crew did a good job and nobody mentioned the posse competitions at the end of the match. Congrats to Posse 3 (I think) who won that with a 7.71 second time.

I had never seen this before but they had a 2x4 about 2-3 feet long strung horizontal between two posts and a 4x4x4 block of wood on a shelf. Everybody loaded their rifles to the max were all shoulder to shoulder and aimed at the 2x4 piece of wood. When he timer went off, a designated shooter shot the block off of the shelf with his revolver and this was the cue for the rest of the shooters to shoot the 2x4 until it broke in half. My posse 4 did it in 9.7 seconds or so.

On the berm behind the target it looked like a gunship had opened up on the berm with one of those vulcan chain guns.

Quite Impressive Fred...thanks..

another question. There were a bunch of Fredericksburg/Kerrville,Austin,area shooters that did not attend...is something going on there?

Perhaps we didn't mention it because it was:

1. Dangerous. There was a malfunction with the contraption that held the wood so a posse stopped after just a couple of rounds. Then, while 15 or so pack in like sardine shooters held their loaded, round in the chamber...some with hammers back...a couple of folks went out and fixed the thing...oh, and a few folks were holding their loaded and cocked rifles in one hand while reloading with the other...again, while folks were standing right in front of them not more then 10 yards away. There was nothing to set one's rifle down on...Our posse choose not to participate in the posse shoot.

2. Interferrring. While folks were having a good time shooting the posse shoot on Stage 1, there were posses that hadn't yet shot the Main Match stage. They had to wait 'till everyone was done and THEN shoot the stage.

oh, and the cutting a 2x4 in half has been done many times...it can be fun...

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Perhaps we didn't mention it because it was:

1. Dangerous. There was a malfunction with the contraption that held the wood so a posse stopped after just a couple of rounds. Then, while 15 or so pack in like sardine shooters held their loaded, round in the chamber...some with hammers back...a couple of folks went out and fixed the thing...oh, and a few folks were holding their loaded and cocked rifles in one hand while reloading with the other...again, while folks were standing right in front of them not more then 10 yards away. There was nothing to set one's rifle down on...Our posse choose not to participate in the posse shoot.

2. Interferrring. While folks were having a good time shooting the posse shoot on Stage 1, there were posses that hadn't yet shot the Main Match stage. They had to wait 'till everyone was done and THEN shoot the stage.

oh, and the cutting a 2x4 in half has been done many times...it can be fun...

Phantom

:P

Yep, when the timer asked 'Does everyone understand the course of fire?" and the guy next to me starts blazing away........yep that there is fun.........

Well I'm sure glad someone MADE THE DECISION FOR ME that this was VERY dangerous. There were only 3 other posses that did it and I wasn't able to. Because one person on our posse had a vote and I guess mine didn't count. Lets see now I think I paid the same amount of money as he did.

GEEEEEEEEEEE I wish I was able to decide what is dangerous and what isn't.

Yea why this club isn't supported by the OTHER LOCAL ONE is a big mystery. After all the other one is shut down for about 4 months due to Deer season.

Jim

Well I'm sure glad someone MADE THE DECISION FOR ME that this was VERY dangerous. There were only 3 other posses that did it and I wasn't able to. Because one person on our posse had a vote and I guess mine didn't count. Lets see now I think I paid the same amount of money as he did.

Yea why this club isn't supported by the OTHER LOCAL ONE is a big mystery. After all the other one is shut down for about 4 months due to Deer season.

Jim

Actually the "other local club" is only shut down during November and December for the deer season. A small price to pay to shoot 12 stages permantly equiped with props situated on a working ranch. Yes it is a good question isn't it? Another local club (San Antonio) shot on Sat 12-4 and had over 40 shooters.

Jim

It's the RO's job to make these evaluations...and I was there watching and it was dangerous.

I can't comment on the support issue...but most clubs hold their annuals on the same weekend as their monthlies.

Phantom

It's the RO's job to make these evaluations...and I was there watching and it was dangerous.

I can't comment on the support issue...but most clubs hold their annuals on the same weekend as their monthlies.

Phantom

Well I didn't know that the RO's job was to make sure Our Posse was safe in a side match. Lets all bow down to the RO. I really feel safe now. Everybody has their own opinion. Seems like this one was about 40 to 20 in favor of the safe guys. Yea we could have done it a little safer.

I DO NOT need any one telling me what is safe and what is not. Thank you very much.

Jim

Yep, when the timer asked 'Does everyone understand the course of fire?" and the guy next to me starts blazing away........yep that there is fun.........

A woman on our Posse then yelled at the old man to get off the line or we would be disqualified. so the guy had to make the "Walk of Shame" up a steep hill and around a wagon with a loaded gun to get off the line. BUT ....I seem to remember somebody with a distictive voice on the posse that was waiting for us to shoot telling everybody loudly to let the old man shoot as he had paid his entry fee like everybody else. Wish I had turned around to see who that was.

and maybe the 2x4 shoot has been done many times...as I said... this was the first time I had ever seen it done. But then again I only been shooting SASS for about 6 years.

Well I didn't know that the RO's job was to make sure Our Posse was safe in a side match. Lets all bow down to the RO. I really feel safe now. Everybody has their own opinion. Seems like this one was about 40 to 20 in favor of the safe guys. Yea we could have done it a little safer.

I DO NOT need any one telling me what is safe and what is not. Thank you very much.

Jim

WJ - you may not like it, but the Posse Leader is put in charge by the MD. They do have authority...to a certain degree.

A woman on our Posse then yelled at the old man to get off the line or we would be disqualified. so the guy had to make the "Walk of Shame" up a steep hill and around a wagon with a loaded gun to get off the line. BUT ....I seem to remember somebody with a distictive voice on the posse that was waiting for us to shoot telling everybody loudly to let the old man shoot as he had paid his entry fee like everybody else. Wish I had turned around to see who that was.

and maybe the 2x4 shoot has been done many times...as I said... this was the first time I had ever seen it done. But then again I only been shooting SASS for about 6 years.

That would be me. I was also the one yelling at folks to stop loading their rifles while they were cocked with a live round in the chamber...while there were folks 10 yards directly in front of them.

God help us if you think that that whole situation was safe...but the guy that let a round down range after they had fixed the problem and cleared was just a small part of it. Hard of hearing...the lack of direction...pretty much total confusion...being able to start the posse shoot with a round in the chamber and hammer cocked while other posses didn't get to start that way...

The last comment kinda puts an exclemation (sp) point on the whole topic...perhaps folks need to get out and shoot other venues more often to see who others put on their matches.

The Posse before us us had the same issues with people shooting prematurely because they did not understand the instructions.

I have only been shooting SASS for 6 years. that is true. I didnt say what other competitions or shoots I have been involved in since I was 12.

I thought I had a good time...I thought that was what SASS is about.

WJ - you may not like it, but the Posse Leader is put in charge by the MD. They do have authority...to a certain degree.

:FlagAm:

Phantom,

I realize what you are saying about the previous posse having some safety issues is correct. I also saw them.

It is just my opinion, which doesn't mean much, the situation could have been handled better by our PL. Most of us saw the problems that the previous posse had. It seems to me that the PL could have pointed those out to our posse so everyone was aware of them. When the other posse finished shooting those issues were no longer there. So the danger was gone.

Seems to me the PL should have pointed out the problems, and given clear instructions on how he wanted us to shoot it. Rather than just saying "this is unsafe we are not going to shoot it" Ya learn by others mistakes. Like you said this isn't the first time this type of team shoot has been done. Must be a safe way to do it.

Jim

Wow!

I was there and I see both sides...

I was also on the posse that had to wait to finish the main match AFTER another posse shot the team shoot...

and that was after having to wait for that posse to shoot that stage because two posses got to the same stage at the same time.

I'm not sure how that happened but it was frustrating to have to wait for an entire posse to shoot the stage and then be told they were also going to do the team shoot before we could finish our last stage.

Just one of those things I guess but something that needs to be addressed for future shoots there.

Someone mentioned Fred...

He got there on Monday and tried very hard to help put on a good match.

He is not to blame for the "issues"... he tried.....

What makes me sad about all of this is that fact that I like all of the people involved.

I'm not angry with anyone... just frustrated because it could be a great place to shoot.

I like Fred...matter of fact he and I are both in the same line of work but Fred has retired so he is luckier than I am. I know he really tried to put on a good match and I didnt mention his full alias because I didnt want anybody lambasting him.

I never understood why we had to do that one stage twice and also had to do the team shoot there as well. There were plenty of other stages that were never used further west down through the town.

like all matches there are good and bad. if people dont want to shoot there for whatever reason then that is their choice for next year.

My family loves Fredericksburg and my son enjoys shooting the matches and that is my main reason for being there other than to enjoy the company of my friends, including the "Ray Gang". My son shot well there, got dinged on some procedurals and another costly penalty but he learned alot. Shooting SASS matches has really taught him a great deal about gun safety.

My crew will go back...others have their choice to make too...Free country.

I think we beat this dead horse into the ground enough. I think there is an impression of a dead horse surfacing in China about now.

Thanks alot Paul.

Phantom,

I realize what you are saying about the previous posse having some safety issues is correct. I also saw them.

It is just my opinion, which doesn't mean much, the situation could have been handled better by our PL. Most of us saw the problems that the previous posse had. It seems to me that the PL could have pointed those out to our posse so everyone was aware of them. When the other posse finished shooting those issues were no longer there. So the danger was gone.

Seems to me the PL should have pointed out the problems, and given clear instructions on how he wanted us to shoot it. Rather than just saying "this is unsafe we are not going to shoot it" Ya learn by others mistakes. Like you said this isn't the first time this type of team shoot has been done. Must be a safe way to do it.

Jim

Perhaps our PL should have brought us together for a decision...hind sight...yea I can see that.

This type of posse shoot is done quite regularly. However this time they were missing a key component - tables or hay bales that give folks a place to load and unload. Also, it's pretty important to have enough elbow room.

Look - I don't want folks to think that I'm pointing fingers at the folks that ran the match and screaming "you guys are idiots!!!!". There were honest mistakes made during an attempt at making the match fun.

I truly hope that lessons are learned and that the next event is better. The owners of the Ranch are nice folks...from what I can tell from the limited exposure that I've had with them.

:D

Wow!

I was there and I see both sides...

I was also on the posse that had to wait to finish the main match AFTER another posse shot the team shoot...

and that was after having to wait for that posse to shoot that stage because two posses got to the same stage at the same time.

I'm not sure how that happened but it was frustrating to have to wait for an entire posse to shoot the stage and then be told they were also going to do the team shoot before we could finish our last stage.

Just one of those things I guess but something that needs to be addressed for future shoots there.

Someone mentioned Fred...

He got there on Monday and tried very hard to help put on a good match.

He is not to blame for the "issues"... he tried.....

What makes me sad about all of this is that fact that I like all of the people involved.

I'm not angry with anyone... just frustrated because it could be a great place to shoot.

Since Fred has been mentioned, I'd like to say that he did an outstanding job and worked very hard to make this a fine shoot. Tin Star is a great place to shoot and I always leave there wanting to return.

Since Fred has been mentioned, I'd like to say that he did an outstanding job and worked very hard to make this a fine shoot. Tin Star is a great place to shoot and I always leave there wanting to return.

That great - shows that they are doing a good job of designing a shoot that fit's your idea of what a shoot should be.

I've got a question - do you think that what you find important in a match...so far as what makes you want to come back...is pretty much the same as the majority of SASS shooters?

That great - shows that they are doing a good job of designing a shoot that fit's your idea of what a shoot should be.

I've got a question - do you think that what you find important in a match...so far as what makes you want to come back...is pretty much the same as the majority of SASS shooters?

I'd say so.

Okay - can you tell me what these things are?

Thanks!

I believe that has been covered......nice place, good people, fun and safe shoot, learn something new, maybe some good food, share a story or two.

I believe that has been covered......nice place, good people, fun and safe shoot, learn something new, maybe some good food, share a story or two.

So the actual stage designs have nothing to do with whether it's a good shoot?

Frankly, just about every shoot that I've gone to have:

1. Good People

2. Most are nice places...or as nice as the club can do.

3. Safe? Most are safe...haven't had too many shoots where safety was an issue.

4. Learn something new...interesting...don't know how anyone can design that into a match...perhaps a Jeopardy side match?

5. Food...good food...that's important? Well...okay...if you think that good food is on the list of what's important to the majority of SASS shooters...guess I'll take your word for it. Hasn't been my experience...but okay. Of course to me, any food is good...and I'm thankful for whatever meal I'm given...wouldn't judge a match based on the quality of the food.

6. Share a story or two...again, don't know how anyone can design that into a match. That said, most matches I've been to generate a few good stories.

So having stage designs that can yield a clean stage for 90% of the people 90% of the time is not on your list? Having stage designs that allow those with shaky hands to be able to have a chance at shooting clean isn't important?

Clubs that don't listen to everyone...to everyone's opinion...ends up being nothing but a cozy little private Cowboy Club. This does not grow the game...this doesn't help keep the game alive.

So the actual stage designs have nothing to do with whether it's a good shoot?

Frankly, just about every shoot that I've gone to have:

1. Good People

2. Most are nice places...or as nice as the club can do.

3. Safe? Most are safe...haven't had too many shoots where safety was an issue.

4. Learn something new...interesting...don't know how anyone can design that into a match...perhaps a Jeopardy side match?

5. Food...good food...that's important? Well...okay...if you think that good food is on the list of what's important to the majority of SASS shooters...guess I'll take your word for it. Hasn't been my experience...but okay. Of course to me, any food is good...and I'm thankful for whatever meal I'm given...wouldn't judge a match based on the quality of the food.

6. Share a story or two...again, don't know how anyone can design that into a match. That said, most matches I've been to generate a few good stories.

So having stage designs that can yield a clean stage for 90% of the people 90% of the time is not on your list? Having stage designs that allow those with shaky hands to be able to have a chance at shooting clean isn't important?

Clubs that don't listen to everyone...to everyone's opinion...ends up being nothing but a cozy little private Cowboy Club. This does not grow the game...this doesn't help keep the game alive.

I can't do anything about stage design or the fact that the club didn't listen to suggestions........but I paid my money and had a good time. I'm not a top shooter, probably never gonna be, so about the best i can hope for is having a good time. You would know better than me what makes a good Sass match........so thanks for the education.

I can't do anything about stage design or the fact that the club didn't listen to suggestions........but I paid my money and had a good time. I'm not a top shooter, probably never gonna be, so about the best i can hope for is having a good time. You would know better than me what makes a good Sass match........so thanks for the education.

No - I think I know. I was sincere with my question.

Being a "Top Shooter" is not important. I don't care about Top Shooters. I care about new shooters. I care about shooters that don't have the steadiness that a Top Shooter has. I care about the folks that don't quite have the memory of a 20 year old.

I want all of these folks to enjoy the shooting aspect of the game...

This is why I asked you the question.

No - I think I know. I was sincere with my question.

Being a "Top Shooter" is not important. I don't care about Top Shooters. I care about new shooters. I care about shooters that don't have the steadiness that a Top Shooter has. I care about the folks that don't quite have the memory of a 20 year old.

pe

I want all of these folks to enjoy the shooting aspect of the game...

This is why I asked you the question.

I agree the game should be set up so everyone can enjoy the match. I guess that I have just not been shooting Sass long enough to know a good set-up. If you are talking about the Team Shoot........I would pass on that if it were offered again under those conditions. You probably have more insight on what went on behind the scenes than I do.......I hope the club listens to the suggestions and next year is better.

Archived