SASS Wire Forum

Sig P238

Looks like the Sig P238 is about to be added to our "approved guns" list here....I've never owned a Sig, but this is a very nice-looking package.....

Any input on this gun? Own one? Shoot one? Good feature? Bad habits?

Concealability?

How does their Nitron finish hold up to carry wear?

How is Sig customer service? Warranty attitude?

Much appreciated.

LL

While I can't speak to the smaller 238's characteristics, I've been shooting/carrying the Sig 229R-DAK for five years now.

The Nitron finish is still holding up well after 3,000+ rounds and daily CCW carry.

My 229 is the only pistol that goes "BANG!" every time - all the time, that I've owned in 50 years of pistol shooting. It's incredibly reliable and I have barrels for it in .40S&W, .357Sig and 9mm (Bar-Sto barrel), Plus I've just ordered Sigs .22LR conversion kit that on sale right now. A FOUR caliber gun could be very handy :unsure:

Sig sales service is very good, I've had no reason to test their repair service.

BTW - Top Gun Supply has some great prices on Sig accessories - Mags, holsters, grips, parts etc.

While I can't speak to the smaller 238's characteristics, I've been shooting/carrying the Sig 229R-DAK for five years now.

The Nitron finish is still holding up well after 3,000+ rounds and daily CCW carry.

My 229 is the only pistol that goes "BANG!" every time - all the time, that I've owned in 50 years of pistol shooting. It's incredibly reliable and I have barrels for it in .40S&W, .357Sig and 9mm (Bar-Sto barrel), Plus I've just ordered Sigs .22LR conversion kit that on sale right now. A FOUR caliber gun could be very handy :unsure:

Sig sales service is very good, I've had no reason to test their repair service.

BTW - Top Gun Supply has some great prices on Sig accessories - Mags, holsters, grips, parts etc.

In over twenty years shooting Sigs, I've never had a (non-operator) failure of any kind with a Sig. The 238 is specifically designed for CCW. If you ever shoot a Sig, you will buy one; they're that good. And you never have to qualify the reliability with "once you've put a couple hundred rounds through it, it's OK" nonsense. They cost a little more, but you'll see why it's worth every cent if you try one.

Did I say I love Sigs?

Ornery Cuss

In over twenty years shooting Sigs, I've never had a (non-operator) failure of any kind with a Sig. The 238 is specifically designed for CCW. If you ever shoot a Sig, you will buy one; they're that good. And you never have to qualify the reliability with "once you've put a couple hundred rounds through it, it's OK" nonsense. They cost a little more, but you'll see why it's worth every cent if you try one.

Did I say I love Sigs?

Ornery Cuss

I have only had my P226 in .40 cal. ~8 years and only maybe 200-500 rounds through it but it has never had a problem. The sights were dead on at 25 yards right out of the box. I like it so much I did recently buy a P238 but I haven't made it to the range to try out yet. I did get a 100 rd box of .380 ammo at Walmart though!

I have only had my P226 in .40 cal. ~8 years and only maybe 200-500 rounds through it but it has never had a problem. The sights were dead on at 25 yards right out of the box. I like it so much I did recently buy a P238 but I haven't made it to the range to try out yet. I did get a 100 rd box of .380 ammo at Walmart though!

Hey Bear...

Let us know how it shoots, willya?

Some of the on-line forums are critical of it (surprise, surprise), raising issues about failure to feed, failure to eject, and slide/slide release conflict and damage...as well as comments about Sig QC going downhill "recently".

I appreciate hearing about the gun from folks who shoot it.

Thanks to all who have added info.

LL

In the January 2011 issue of Dillon's Blue Press, Page 10 and 11, Peter Caroline did a brief test and write up on one.

He loaded one round each of 6 different brands/weights/styles of ammo and fired off-hand at a target 10 yards away, he did this 3 times and the resulting group of 18 rounds was 2 -1/4" across by 1-3/4" tall. His only complaint... it only came with one magazine.

I am anxious to get to the range and try mine, if I can just find some time!

Archived