SASS Wire Forum

Shot-shell reloading

Olli the Kid

Howdy!

Here in Germany not many folks have experience in shot-shell reloading, certainly not in loading for CAS.

So I can't ask the folk over here...

Can anybody help me out with some data's for a light 12 Gauge Cowboy load?

I have this components a home:

• Remington STS hulls
  • W209 Primer
  • WT 12 Wads
  • Titegroup or Longshot Powder
  • The load should have a 1 Ounce charge of lead (# 7 1/2)

Thanks a lot!

Olli

Ollie,

I refer you to Hodgdon for loading data for those powders. Their online loading database shows a 1 oz load for STS hulls and W209 primers using Tightgroup powder. WT-12 wads are not listed (do not substitute them for one of the listed wads). The resulting load would not be considered light. Locally many shooters are reloading using WAALite powder to duplicate the performance of Winchester's low noise, low recoil shot shells.

Olli:

First, I would suggest a manual if you are not familiar with shotshell reloading and read it (I use the Lyman). Here is a list of them that Midway sells:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#shotshell...-_1-2-4_8-16-32

The wad may be the problem for finding data. Here is some info I found on it. Take the info for what it is worth (read and decide for yourself) but it looks like you may be able use the data from a comparable Winchester Wad the same as with Claybusters.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic....;t=238344buster.

Here is load data from the Winchester site. Put in 12 Ga, Lead Shot, 1 oz, 2 3/4" Rem STS, then "Get Data". Scroll down to "Tightgroup" (I did not see any data for "Longshot").

http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp

Generally speaking, if the final crimp for your load is caved in, your wad is too short and likewise if the crimp is domed, your wad is too long. CAS loads are not special loads, just the load a pard decides to use for CAS. A lot of pards just use reasonable priced target loads they buy locally here in the States.

Disclaimer: Use all information at your own risk. The first step would be to get a good manual and read it before loading any shotshell.

Hope this helps.

CC

Guest diablo slim shootist
For some reason, I have had trouble getting the W209 primers to fire in Remingtion STS hulls. Work fine in AA. Both my wife's 97 and my TTN hammer double don't like the W209/ STS combo.

Strange i have no problem with that combo. :D

Clays is a popular powder for shotshell here on this side of the pond!

For some reason, I have had trouble getting the W209 primers to fire in Remingtion STS hulls. Work fine in AA. Both my wife's 97 and my TTN hammer double don't like the W209/ STS combo.

BM,

There is quite a difference when primer is seated in the STS and AA. In the STS, primer is seated deeper than in AA. In my experience there is about .007 to .010 in. difference between the STS and AA. It may not sound much, but it could be enough that your firing may not be reaching the primer. What I have found out is that when I seat the primer on the STS, I just put enough pressure to just seat it into the primer pocket and not put too much pressure on it. Just enough to seat it but flush with the pocket. Try it, it may work for you. JMO.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just wanna help out a pard.

Archived