SASS Wire Forum

Taylor's vs Cimmarron

Long Branch Louie

I was recently told by the owner of a local shop here that Cimmarron firearms are a "cut above" the rest in overall quality. I realize that all of these rifles are made by Uberti. I also see that Cimmarron rifles are a touch more expensive for the same model on average than other "makes". I own a Taylor's '73, it was bought already short stroked by Cody, and it works flawlesly, so I can't compare it to an out of the box rifle. Just curious though, comparing out of the box rifles, is there a difference?

From my personal experience it's a no call. Two of the slickest out of box rifles I have had were EMF, one of the most problamatic ones I had (and still have) is a Cimarron.

Howdy

That is the message that Cimarron used to put out a few years ago. I doubt if that shop owner has ever been inside them, or he would see that the quality on the inside, where it counts, is exactly the same.

If you call Taylors and Company today, You will talk to Tammy the owner or Carrie her daughter. It's a family business. There is a few more folks in the shop BUT when I spend my money I want to talk to the owners. That way I am getting the straight and skinny. When I needed some parts for my Rifle the brought them to me at a shoot. I believe shoppers still like Costumer Service. Buy from the folks who know Cowboys..... T-Bone

There was a time I would have agreed about Cimarron being a cut above, but not with the part about Taylors. I did feel that the old Uberti USA product had a tiny bit less time spent on external finish. As to dependability from the box, my CAS guns defective at purchase new were; 1-OM Ruger Vaquero, 1- Uberti USA Henry and most common were the Pietta versions of cap and ball Colts (non were actually returned). Many years ago I ordered various replacement screws and were told that they were Uberti all the way BUT their finish lacked the polish found on the Cimarron screw heads on a side by side comparison. Now I think time has eroded Cimarrons customer service a bit as well as their exclusive relationship with Uberti. It does look like Taylors is the new guy on the block and tries a bit harder but they are fighting an uphill battle, they were not around for the big SASS growth years and though they are the ones coming out with new versions now, most of us have done with our big gun purchasing.

No difference....I own a 73 from each and there is no difference, they are EXACTLY the same. Never had an issue that required customer service so can't comment on that aspect.

Those of us who work on thee guns can tell you there is not now, nor has there been any difference in the build quality of guns from any of the importers. Uberti builds guns for them all and the only differences are the roll stamps for the importer selling the gun.

Coffinmaker

If you call Taylors and Company today, You will talk to Tammy the owner or Carrie her daughter. It's a family business. There is a few more folks in the shop BUT when I spend my money I want to talk to the owners. That way I am getting the straight and skinny. When I needed some parts for my Rifle the brought them to me at a shoot. I believe shoppers still like Costumer Service. Buy from the folks who know Cowboys..... T-Bone

+1

Roy

If you look at the web sites of each one you will see that they have the same stock numbers for the same gun. In fact if you also look at Buffalo Arms they also have the same number. I purchased my 73 Brush Popper from Buffalo as they were the cheapest. Cody at the Cowboy Shop that does the best action jobs, his wife works at Taylor's and can sometimes secure guns quicker. They are all the same gun when you open the box. You would have to read the barrel stamping to tell the difference.

Thanks for the input. I bought a Taylor's rifle because most folks said their customer service was better, but since I got it thru Cody, it would have been a Taylor anyway. I'm not a fast shooter, but a short stroke rifle just works smoother to me, and my cowboy pals when I started said it would be cheaper to go with a rifle already fixed, than ship it back and forth later....

I have several Cimarron Uberti copies of both revolvers and rifles and have been satisfied with all of them. Several years ago (ten?) I had to send a couple of New Model P's back to Cimarron to have some defective parts replaced, and they performed the work quickly and and at no cost to me. I haven't had to send any guns back to them since then.

My personal preferences are the Cimarron copies because they are marked in the same manner as the originals (except they say "Cimarron" rather than "Colt" or "Winchester." In the case of the Model P, the Cimarron guns use a two-line barrel address just like Colt did on this barrel length. The other barrel lengths ( 5 1/2 and 7 1/2 inches) have the one-line address, just like Colts. Another feature unique to the Cimarron Colt copies is the use of the original-style Colt hammers without the safety thingy used in many of the other Uberti copies from other importers. The use of the Colt-style hammer is becoming more common with other importers now, but it was exclusive to Cimarron for many years.

These are not big deals to many, but I like the attention to detail exercised by Cimarron. Your mileage may vary. Happy trails, Squint

+1 quality of the guns is the same. But, Taylors has the plus for service.

I would avoid anything that Cimmarron sells. Very unhappy with the lack of after sale service and unwilling to provide warranity work!! :unsure::o

I must respectfully disagree;

Several years ago, I purchased a used, Cimarron marketed, ASM 1860 Richards pistol. At about my second shoot with it, the ejector rod retaining ring decided to make a run for it, and was never seen again. I posted a question here on the wire asking whether anybody knew where I could get replacements.

The next day, I received an e-mule from a gunsmith at Cimarron. He sent me the replacement parts at NO CHARGE! Remember, this was a used, out of production gun.

I have several other Cimarron guns, and fortunatly have not needed any service since, but when I did, they were there for me.

Those of us who work on thee guns can tell you there is not now, nor has there been any difference in the build quality of guns from any of the importers. Uberti builds guns for them all and the only differences are the roll stamps for the importer selling the gun.

Coffinmaker

+1...call Uberti and they'll tell you the exact same thing.I have.

I have an EMF 1873, a Taylors 1866 (both 45lc) and a Taylors 1873 (357) on order through Cody. Cody did his magic on the 73 and 66. They are all identical on the inside.

Lone Rider

I would avoid anything that Cimmarron sells. Very unhappy with the lack of after sale service and unwilling to provide warranity work!! :D:D

Interesting

I've sent two different pistols back to them

Both pistols had more than 5 years of wear and tear

Cimmarron repairs both at no charge

Bought 2 "71"s and a 66 from Cimarron last month----absolutely beautiful , but 1 of the 71s was mismarked from Uberti. It was supposed to be in 44 special and was marked as such on the frame but the cylinder was in 44 colt/russian. Sent back on a friday was called by service rep on Monday that it was received and being shipped back to me that day---received that friday. I know others may have had problems but I take my hat off to that kind of turnaround and service.

No difference in quality since they're both made by Uberti but there's a HUGE difference in customer service, Taylor's is excellent..... Cimmaron is less than desirable in my experiences with both company's, Rye

Archived