SASS Wire Forum

Grabber Front Sights

Frontier Lone Rider

I was just reading another post where folks suggested the shooter change his sights to Marbles Flat Top Rear Sight and Grabber Front Sight.

I ordered two of the Marbles Flat Top Rear Sights, changing from the Semi-Buckhorn, but can't decide which Grabber Front Sight would be best. Long Hunter Supply showed two sights, one has a slightly larger diameter than the other, plus they each can come with different heights?

Which would you recommend and why.

Is the larger one easier to pick-up against the targets? But the smaller better for the more distant targets?

Lone Rider

I use the biggest bead available. many complain about it covering up smaller targets but I set my rifles up for a six o'clock sight picture and don't have a problem with smaller targets. I choose to set my guns up for the type of shooting that we do 95% of the time, learn the limitations of the setup and learn how to use them when things change a little bit.

The .130 is the better of the two. The .170 is like a hub cap on your barrel. If you call jim he will tell you the same as the postings. I think you would be sorry buying the largest one unless you are blind.

The heigth of the front sight is determined by the rifle and caliber. Long Hunter or Manitee can help you there. I Have shot both diameters and prefer the .130. Your mileage may vary. Maybe try both at your local club. Good luck.

McKenzie

The majority of my customers prefer the .130 bead. Easy to see and quick to pick up. Manatee builds the "grabber" on a Marbles 41W base which is "the" base height for standard rear sight set up. Kinda fun to swap out the sights if you haven't done a couple, but quite do able.

Coffinmaker

Got the .130 on my 92, and like it. I use a Marbles Tang Peep with the insert taken out for a rear sight, and shoot with both eyes open.

I like a frt sight about the size of a small doorknob. Might have to give that 12ga frt sight a try, yet. Sounds big enough to satisfiy even me, LOL!!!

GREEENRIVER

I use the biggest bead available. many complain about it covering up smaller targets but I set my rifles up for a six o'clock sight picture and don't have a problem with smaller targets. I choose to set my guns up for the type of shooting that we do 95% of the time, learn the limitations of the setup and learn how to use them when things change a little bit.

+1

Until I lost it, I used a .185 flat-faced (practically no radius) front sight that T.G. Reaper gave to me. I wish I had another. I use the large Grabber sight now and although it is not much smaller, because of the radius on the edge (rounded), it appears (to me) to be much smaller. I can't imagine someone thinking the big one is too big at most matches, but I suppose if you typically shoot matches with small targets at long distances, you might like the small one better....but if you're doing that, why not stick with the standard sight? The whole point is to be able to pick up the front sight quickly.

Thanks for the info Pards.

Our club has most of the rifle targets out at the farthest allowed, so I guess for me, the smaller one will be the best fit.

Lone Rider

I would take a wild guess here Buck D Law and say that is depending on whose eyes you are using. Mine like the .130 which should only matter to me as I am the one shooting. Mckenzie River, we are discussing the size of the front bead not the height of the sight.

I'm using the Pioneer Arms "Speed Sight" (very similar to the Grabber) and I selected the 170 and am quite happy with it. Since I have a 6 o'clock hold it does not obscure my view at all and I can get on target the quickest with this sight. Smithy.

Archived