SASS Wire Forum

LOADING 12 GA SHOTSHELLS FOR A 97

JOHNACM

I AM NEW TO SASS. MY GUNS ARE A NEW BLACKHAWK 45, COWBOY COLT 45, YELLOW BOY 45, AND A WINCHESTER 97. I LOAD MY OWN 45'S AND NOW I WANT TO LOAD FOR THE 97. AS I UNDER STAND IT SHOT SIZE #4 OR SMALLER AND NO STEEL SHOT. WHAT IS THE BEST CASE, CASE LENGTH,PRIMERS, WADS, POWDER TO USE? ANY OTHER INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

http://www.grafs.com/

First, LD has beat my two pair. That said, I tout 2 powders, instead of one or a universal. Currently, I would tout Clays for shogun and HP38/W23 announcenments. Look to my departures for my exam.

Howdy

There is no such thing as best. You will get different opinions.

First off, you should restrict your shot size to 7 1/2 or smaller. Although SASS rules say #4 or smaller, many clubs restrict shot size to 7 1/2 or smaller. The larger pellets will travel farther, and since some shotgun shooting occurs above the berm, many clubs want to restrict how far the shot will travel.

I always load my shells with #8, unless I cannot find any and then I go to #7 1/2. I always load 1 1/8 ounces.

I use 2 3/4" hulls, there is no need for anything longer in CAS. I prefer Remington STS hulls, as they are the smoothest and easiest to eject of any I have found.

I always load my CAS shells with Black Powder. I always load my Trap shells with Clays. When I load Smokeless I choose a 2 3/4 dram equivilent load. We are not allowed to give specific data over the Wire, so you can look up loads for Clays at the Hodgdon web site:

Hodgdon

I use Winchester 209 primers.

My loads tend to be a little bit heavier than many CAS shooters prefer.

Just my opinion.

Archived