SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun chamber bevel

Cassalong Hopidy

I want to put a low-angle bevel at the chamber end of my double barrel shotgun. I have seen it on other guns, including on a friend's SxS that he bought from Evil Roy--looks good and seems to assist loading. What tool(s) should I use? I am hoping there is something I can chuck into my electric drill and SLOWLY take off enough metal to give it something like a 30-degree slope down to the point where the shotgun rim engages. I know I will need to be careful. Just looking for recommendations as to tool(s)/techniques that will work so I don't mess up a gun. Thanks.

Cassalong Hopidy

Go to wherever Campbell Hausfeld air tools are sold (walmart), and get ya a 1" grinding ball. As you said, go easy and it takes about 2 seconds per side. DO NOT totally remove the "step" the rims of the shells seat against. Take about half of it away is all. Ya need that for shells to headspace. Take too much off, shells will slip too far forward and not go "bang". Then ya can make that new cut smoother by placing a small cicle cut from 600 grit paper over the ball, and give that a whistle on the newly ground surface. Again, about 3 seconds at most.like this

As a follow-up to AJ's post with using the 1" abrasive ball, I would suggest using it in a hand drill -- the type you actually crank by hand. You'll have more control over it and be able to gauge your progress better. Use it chucked into an electric drill or an air-powered die grinder and it can run away from you with unfortunate results. ;)

Those 1" balls are also handy for recrowning a barrel (shotgun, rifle, or pistol) if you ever shorten one or it gets dinged somehow.

Checked my local WalMart and Home Depot and they don't have them. In fact, it looks like Campbell Hausfeld only sells them as part of a big kit. I did find some at DoItBest Hardware online. Any experience with them?

Cassalong Hopidy

Checked my local WalMart and Home Depot and they don't have them. In fact, it looks like Campbell Hausfeld only sells them as part of a big kit. I did find some at DoItBest Hardware online. Any experience with them?

Cassalong Hopidy

If ya actually go to about any place where ya can buy air tools, LOWES, Homey Depot, any ACE or True Value, and any big box that sells autobody stuff you will find em. BTW, use yer cordless drill on LOW speed.

After using the ball, you can wrap some 600 grit sandpaper on your finger tip and bring that new bevel to a mirror finish.

Looks like you hired it done! :unsure:

I used the devil's tool, a dremil, to do mine. Be very careful and don't grind anything away from the lip where the shell headspaces. I did both of the tops of my barrels (from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock) at a sharp angle (about 40-45 degrees)and then polished up with 200/400 grit sandpaper. Again, I caution you not to remove anything from the ledge where the shell rests in the chamber. Only a little metal from the ledge to the outside edge of the chamber.

I think it really helps loading those SxS shotguns.

I used the devil's tool, a dremil, to do mine. Be very careful and don't grind anything away from the lip where the shell headspaces. I did both of the tops of my barrels (from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock) at a sharp angle (about 40-45 degrees)and then polished up with 200/400 grit sandpaper. Again, I caution you not to remove anything from the ledge where the shell rests in the chamber. Only a little metal from the ledge to the outside edge of the chamber.

I think it really helps loading those SxS shotguns.

Thanks, Badlands Bob. Hope to see you at The Last Stand.

Cassalong Hopidy

Thanks, Badlands Bob. Hope to see you at The Last Stand.

Cassalong Hopidy

I'm still trying to get my schedule settled for 2011. I doubt I'll make it to Last Stand tho.

Not enough weekends in the month. :D

If you have this type extractor.

This Baikal was done over 10 years ago. I still shoot it. It loads like a dream. Don't worry so much about tha shell ledge on tha barrel. Leave tha extractor alone for headspacing as ths shell won't grab there.

RRR

http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy314/R...current=012.jpg

Archived