SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch 1911 - New shooter

Judson T. Oakley

I have never shot wild bunch and don't own a 1911 (yet). I have been looking at the various 1911's in the market and want get something that is good quality. My preference is a Colt but I see that most of what I am looking at in new Colt 1911's does not have the spur hammer. Any suggestions on 1911's from those of you have more experience than me with these. thks.

I thought Colt was still offering the WW1 clone? Watch the local gun stores used guns, we have a couple of stores that are pretty well stocked on reasonable priced used Colt 1911s. Any excuse to visit the gun store is a good excuse!

Bad Hand;

Just out of curiosity do you not like Wild Bunch?????????

Every time some one asks a Wild Bunch question you refer them to the Wild Bunch forum.

While that is a good, but new, forum more people look at this one. the interest starts here

and there are a lot more people using this one.

Not trying to start a pi$$in contest or anything just seems you don't want anything related to

Wild Bunch on this forum and was wondering why.

Sorry to get off topic but to answer the original question I shoot a Springfield Mil-Spec in

stainless and like it a lot.

Marshal Stone

Judson, What you buy depends on a couple of things:

#1. Whether you want to shoot in the "Traditional" or "Modern Category.

#2. What your budget is.

In the traditional category the pistol must be similar to a military issue 1911 or 1911A1. Many use the Springfield GI or mil-spec models. Also popular is the multitude of Philippine pistols sold under many importer's labels. Obviously Colt still sells pistols for that category but they are more expensive and harder to find. I prefer the Colt 70 series pistol for traditional, but not all do.

In the modern category the options are greater. Check out the pistol rules on the Wild Bunch forum, and you will see pistols from MANY companies meet them. Everything from an inexpensive imported pistol to an Ed Brown can be found in a legal configuration.

I have never shot wild bunch and don't own a 1911 (yet). I have been looking at the various 1911's in the market and want get something that is good quality. My preference is a Colt but I see that most of what I am looking at in new Colt 1911's does not have the spur hammer. Any suggestions on 1911's from those of you have more experience than me with these. thks.

I don't think the Colt WWI reissue are in regular production, so it's might be hard to locate one. I've seen 'em for between $900 and $1200. I recently held one in my hand, and it fit like a glove. If my bank account would've given it up, it would with me right now.

Have you read Capt Baylor's Wild Bunch for Dummies? It give's a great rundown for what is and isn't legal for Wild Bunch.

http://www.curtrich.com/01wildbunchfordummies.html

I use the Springfield GI .45 1911A1 (WWII style), and Chip McCormick mags. Was about $500 or so. Once I learned how to hold like I meant it, my troubles ended. They don't like to be *limp wristed* as they say.

I also know many people who use the Springfield Mil Spec, just a few more $ in my neck of the woods over the GI 45.

Some folks talk highly of Rock Island Armory. Some folks also talk well of the new Remmington 1911

Try and find a shop with a nice selection and feel them all. They all have subtle little differences in the grip, first step is finding one that fits like a glove. And you can always up grade the parts.

Take a look for a Colt 1991a1. The older ones from the 90's are parkerized. The newer ones are blued. They are "basic" 1911 set up with plain-jane iron sights and will keep you in the Wild Bunch "Traditional" category. New ones run around $800+. You'll find nice used ones in the $600+ range. (I bought mine new in 1991 and paid $395!)

You won't go wrong with a Colt. They run like a charm and will hold their value better than any other 1911 out there.

If you have a little more to spend, take a look at the 1918 reissue, the Carbonia blue 1911, or the new 1911 100 year anniversary model (exact same gun as the 1918 reissue, but with special serial numbers). All will cost your around $1000+.

Guest gartnacory

I have a Colt 1911a1, which, according to the Colt website, was built in 1942. It seems in very good shape and shoots great. It feeds everything I put into it, unlike the Colt Combat Commander I bought in 1980 which fed only ball ammo. I guess the previous owner had some work done on it. Anyway, I'd like to know the opinions of others: should I shoot this gun in matches on a regular basis or retire it and buy something newer?

gartnacory: I use a Colt 1911 NON a1 made in 1916 for my Wild Bunch matches. I don't plan on retiring it any time soon, I bought it to shoot Wild Bunch with. Unless it is some sort of valuable collector gun, shoot it.

I have a Colt 1911a1, which, according to the Colt website, was built in 1942. It seems in very good shape and shoots great. It feeds everything I put into it, ... should I shoot this gun in matches on a regular basis or retire it and buy something newer?

Depends upon who built it during WW II - was it really Colt? An Ithaca might be worth putting away as a collector. A Remington-Rand, more of a shooter. An actual Colt might be in between in value. If you don't mind if it gets beat up a little, shoot it! For WB shoots, it will be as good as any other gun in Traditional, and not that much of a detriment, other than the small sights, in Modern. It will be as tough and easy to maintain as most other 1911's.

Good luck, GJ

I think it all depends on your pocketbook. I own a Colt, a Springfield, and a Rock Island. They all shoot well .. as well as I can shoot that is. I am impressed with all of them. My newest acquisition is the Rock which, to my surprise, is EVERYTHING good that owners have been saying. It functions flawslessly, will feed all types of ammo, and hits where I aim. Fit and finish is excellent. They can be had with a lifetime warranty (from Armscor and Gallery of Guns) and their cost NEW is around $395. They are perfect for traditional WB. You only need to replace the magazine (it has an SASS illegal pad) and perhaps the smooth wood grips for checkered ones (if you want) or others appropriate to the class. There is nothing SASS wrong with the smooth grips, just the checkered ones give you a better feel.

Are Colts and Springfields higher quality? They all have their quirks, supporters, and their detractors. I am satisfied with all of them. But the least expensive, very functional, and good quaility is the Rock. A collectors item it is not. But as a shooter in Wild Bunch, it is a winner. Plus it leaves you with some gold dust to buy some other accoutrements.

I am so dangerously close in buying an Auto-Ordinance GI to match/compliment my Tommy Gun. Now that AO is quality controlled by Kahr Arms, their bad reputation is going (gone) away. I understand their markings are pretty accurate to the period and they are made in the USA.

Just my opinion.

Marshall John Joseph

I fully concur with your evaluation or the Rock Island. I own two of them and they are great.

I have a RIA and a Kahr made late-model Thompson/Auto Ordnance basic GI model.

The Rock was reliable out of the box, the AO is taking a little to get broke in, but I am sure it will be fine and I really like them both.

Even with a plain jane traditional version if you put both hands on the pistol, it throws you into Modern category. I have found that I am too feeble to shoot one-handed for 6 stages so now I wish I would have got a nice Modern 1911 with Novaks and such like features. Oh well, live and learn. Good excuse to pick up that Kimber Target II Gander Mountain exclusive.!!!

Guest gartnacory
gartnacory: I use a Colt 1911 NON a1 made in 1916 for my Wild Bunch matches. I don't plan on retiring it any time soon, I bought it to shoot Wild Bunch with. Unless it is some sort of valuable collector gun, shoot it.

'Thanks for the reply, Slim. I Think I'll keep shooting it.

Guest gartnacory
Depends upon who built it during WW II - was it really Colt? An Ithaca might be worth putting away as a collector. A Remington-Rand, more of a shooter. An actual Colt might be in between in value. If you don't mind if it gets beat up a little, shoot it! For WB shoots, it will be as good as any other gun in Traditional, and not that much of a detriment, other than the small sights, in Modern. It will be as tough and easy to maintain as most other 1911's.

Good luck, GJ

It is a Colt, good condition but not cherry. Thanks for the reply.

I have the Colt 1991 Government Model. I bought it new for $795. Legal for Traditional Category although I shoot Modern because I use a two-hand hold. Worked great right out of the box. Real nice fit and finish.

As a backup I have a LLama Max 1. It is a later model. I had to change the factory rubber grips to wood. It is reliable and accurate. I know some would scoff at the LLama but I think it was a great gun for the money, $250 new, back in the early '90's. Back then there were no Rock Islands or Springfields.

Bad Hand;

Just out of curiosity do you not like Wild Bunch?????????

Every time some one asks a Wild Bunch question you refer them to the Wild Bunch forum.

While that is a good, but new, forum more people look at this one. the interest starts here

and there are a lot more people using this one.

Not trying to start a pi$$in contest or anything just seems you don't want anything related to

Wild Bunch on this forum and was wondering why.

Sorry to get off topic but to answer the original question I shoot a Springfield Mil-Spec in

stainless and like it a lot.

Marshal Stone

Hummm, I was just trying to point people to what I thought would be the most knowledgable forum. If someone ask a question about S&Ws, I would naturally point them towards the S&W forum. A question about NCOWS, I would point them toward the NCOWS forum. I just thought thst the most knowledgable Wild Bunch shooters would be on that forum. Guess it's true that no good deed goes unpunished.

Hummm, I was just trying to point people to what I thought would be the most knowledgable forum. If someone ask a question about S&Ws, I would naturally point them towards the S&W forum. A question about NCOWS, I would point them toward the NCOWS forum. I just thought thst the most knowledgable Wild Bunch shooters would be on that forum.
Guess it's true that no good deed goes unpunished.

Sad truth aint it :blink:

BTW- I'll throw in nuther RIA vote :FlagAm:

IMHO new Colts are like new Winchesters - Great but overpriced & aint wat they used ta be :excl:

I plan to get a Rock Island Parkerized frame build it as close to stock GI as I can and marry it up to an Isreali Slide I built to put on an Inter-arms frame years ago. Theinterarms silver cup NM upper with Ken Sights hurt me more pulling out of the waistband than the bullets would have the bad guys.

Archived