SASS Wire Forum

Wolf springs in OM Vaquero's ? QT ?

Gatekeep #49020

QT? Will the instlitation of lighter hammer springs reduce hammer pull? What is the stock Ruger OM Vaquero springs lb rating.?

I bought and installed SSB hammer's on our OM Vaquero's last year. They helped our reach and seemed to be easier to pull. I'm aware that lighter hammer springs could result in light hits and missfires . I have it in my head to get the 3 spring wolf kit's With the 19.18 and 17 lbs springs. Has anyone done this? What were the results. The good the bad and the ugly of it. Thanks in advance Gatekeep

If it were me, I would go with the 17 lb. springs. They have worked well for me and some shooters use even lighter springs. The vaqueros that I am shooting now have stock springs with 7 turns cut off. Your mileage may vary.

Blackfoot :unsure:

I have 17 lb springs in my Vaqueros and NEVER have experienced any problem with any brand primers. Another thing you can do and I have since gone that way, is to use Federal Primers. The primer face is softer than most of the others, and thus is readily set off with lighter hammer strikes. I don't have problems with any brand, but this is just insurance.

RBK

For most guns, the 17 lb springs work very well and reduce the hammer pull.

It is important that the guns be reasonably slick so there is no significant frictions when the hammer is falling. If there are burrs impeding the hammer, more spring pressure is needed. So check over your gun to see if there are more than just slight rub marks anywhere on the hammer. It is natural for the left side of the hammer to have some slight marks.

The 15 pound spring A.O. mentions can be a good option, but some like just a little quicker hammer fall with the extra "insurance" of the 17 pound spring. But for the lightest hammer pull, the 15 may be good for you.

QT? Will the instlitation of lighter hammer springs reduce hammer pull? What is the stock Ruger OM Vaquero springs lb rating.?

I bought and installed SSB hammer's on our OM Vaquero's last year. They helped our reach and seemed to be easier to pull. I'm aware that lighter hammer springs could result in light hits and missfires . I have it in my head to get the 3 spring wolf kit's With the 19.18 and 17 lbs springs. Has anyone done this? What were the results. The good the bad and the ugly of it. Thanks in advance Gatekeep

Yes, I have done this with the 3 spring set. I went with the 18 as I wanted the extra margin of hammer force. The difference of the 1 lb. was barely noticeable and it fires all the time. No down side.

I know it maybe apples and oranges, but the Wolff spring kits that Brownells sells specifically for SASS for the NM's come stock with 17 # springs. Smithy.

Wolff Gunsprings are the best and YES the hammer pull will be less.

OMV factory hammer spring is 23lbs as per Wolff.

I have been running 18 lb Wolff's for over 6 years in my OMV's with no issues. I also installed a set of Wolff lighter trigger return spring too.

Cheers,

LG

... What is the stock Ruger OM Vaquero springs lb rating.?

... I have 17 lb springs in my Vaqueros and NEVER have experienced any problem with any brand primers.

.... OMV factory hammer spring is 23lbs as per Wolff.

Gents, I'm either the luckiest guy in CAS or the numbers being quoted in this thread are ;)

My 2 factory out of the box, with the innards never touched, OM RVSSBH revolvers, vintage 2000 measure the following:

Gun 1

7# 3.8oz Hammer Pull

3# 5.6oz Trigger Pull

Gun 2

7# 6.5oz Hammer Pull

3# 7.1oz Trigger Pull

(Average of 5 measurements taken with a Lyman Trigger Pull Gauge)

And I use nothing but the hardest primers on the market ... CCI 300 LP. Every round goes BANG!

Might suggest you all buying a trigger pull gauge and measuring hammer and trigger pulls on all your firearms. You might be surprised to learn ...what you think how 'hard' they are ... AIN'T. You'll also be able to tell other CAS members exact measurements!. Instead of the infamous words heard all the time: HARD or LIGHT ... which identifies absolutely nothing

You have 5 & 7 oz trigger pulls ;)

Sounds abit "lite" to me :D

LG

Read it again Lumpy........# is the symbol for Pound.....so it is 3 pounds 5.6 ounces.......btw ounces is OZ.......

bandit

Sounds abit "lite" to me

Grits, my friend, if you think these Rugers are light ;)... I've got a Stevens 44 1/2 DST ... Breath on it and it goes Bang. The gauge wouln't even register 1 ounce!

Grits, we don't have CA weather here on the East Coast, but I'm staying warm.

Did make it to the range this week. Testing out some 32-40 and 45-70 reloads in the Stevens 44 1/2. Not happy with the 45-70's at 200yds, but the 165gr 32-40's shot 1st had a nice 10 shot group. Maybe one of the reasons the 45-70's didn't do well was I was having trouble seeing the black on the NRA target through the ocular. Went to adjust my prescription sunglasses ... both lens had fallen out! Darn near poked my eye out! Spent a 1/2 hour looking for the lens and finally found both. So I called it quits ... will test the load another day when I can see ;)

I know it maybe apples and oranges, but the Wolff spring kits that Brownells sells specifically for SASS for the NM's come stock with 17 # springs. Smithy.

Howdy

You cannot compare springs for the New Model Vaquero and the 'original model' Vaquero. They are completely different.

I put the 18 pound springs in all my 'original model' Vaqueros. They pop all brands of primers just fine. I wanted the extra pound of strength just in case.

The unexpected benefit of lighter hammer springs is they also lighten trigger pull. This is because there is less friction to overcome do drag the sear out of the full cock notch. All my Vaqueros have 2 1/2 pound trigger pulls after I put in the lighter springs.

I have a brand new pair of the NEW Model SASS Rugers, and have put 17 lb. springs in them, as well as the lighter trigger return springs. It all comes in a kit from Wolff They now have nice smooth and easy hammer and trigger pulls, and while I haven't measured the trigger pulls, they are somewhat lighter than with the 23 lb factory springs. I wouldn't want them any lighter.

RBK

I would suggest a set of LongHunters 15 # springs,if you use Federal or Winchester primers you will have no issues.

AO

+1

Archived