SASS Wire Forum

Cavalry Flap Holster Gun Bucket Idear

Come On Christmas

I dun't wear my Union Artilleryman outfit that much.

I got to thinking wouldn't my two holsters be like a po boy gun bucket for my cap n' ball weaponry. I could probably shlep my Stampedes in them as well.

What I am thinkin' is cutting the flap low on the backside then have three aligned holes on the flap and the holster to reattach with black latigo for the sake of appearances. Then I could remove the flaps when I am actually shooting.

My question is this. I know to buy a hand punch for the holes, but what would I cut the flaps oft with? A utility knife with a new blade? I have some inline tin snips? What tool should I use?

Shameless

A dirty little secret, lots of well known pros actually reach for a simple box opener design for most leather cutting. My two favorite knives, though I am not one of those famous leather workers, are the angled head box opener and a similar shaped carpet knife. Even more important than the style is the selection of good quality reeeal sharp replacement blades. As to your abilities, go poke around this site fer a spell and look at some of the projects completed by first time holster makers, AMAZING! You might surprise yourself, with just a bit of guidance. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html

Home Depot sells a nifty pair of titanium snips that have relatively short blades, but are sharper than you know what and won't cut leather leaving a chewed angled cut rather a straight (looks like a razor blade did it) edge. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...mp;ddkey=Search And at less than 15 bucks I'm sure that you will find other uses for the snips after the holster job. Smithy.

Howdy, Pards,

A box cutter or an X-Acto knife with a #11 blade will work. Just be sure to lay the part to be cut on a firm surface, if at all possible, and one that you don't mind cutting on/into. An easier, though more expensive way would be to go to Tandy/Leather Factory and buy a leather-cutting scissors. (Although they don't sell the Gingher scissors I prefer, but they are expensive, and unless you do professional leather jobs, probably NOT worth the expense.)

Hope this helps!

Ride careful, and stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! Happy Chanukah! Merry Christmas! Happy Kwanza!(As applicable.) Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year!

Your Pard,

There were no pistol holsters, CAValry or otherwise at Calvary.

A few Roman sword sheaths is all.

I was going to be so careful with the spelling because I have been chastised on the wire before. I fixed it.

Opps,

Shameless

Home Depot sells a nifty pair of titanium snips that have relatively short blades, but are sharper than you know what and won't cut leather leaving a chewed angled cut rather a straight (looks like a razor blade did it) edge. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...mp;ddkey=Search And at less than 15 bucks I'm sure that you will find other uses for the snips after the holster job. Smithy.

I found these shears at Home Depot like you said. Worked perfectly.

Thanks,

Shameless

You don't have to cut the flaps off to shoot. Just bend them back to the belt and tuck them in behind the belt when you go to the line to shoot. Then have them out when you reholster at the unload table before leaving.

You don't have to cut the flaps off to shoot. Just bend them back to the belt and tuck them in behind the belt when you go to the line to shoot. Then have them out when you reholster at the unload table before leaving.

Ooops!

Archived