SASS Wire Forum

What's the call?

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

With rifle shooter must engage far target (4' sawblade at say 75yds), then close target (16" square at let's say 10 yds). Shooters ammo is reliable, but of moderate velocity. So after fast shooter engages sawblade his next shot hits square before his bullet gets to sawblade.

What's the call?

(This was asked just for giggles)

Possum

Did the scenario say "engage" or "hit" the targets in that order? :unsure:

Seriously, no call!

Shooter must engage with rifle far target (4' sawblade at say 75yds), then close target (16" square at let's say 10 yds). Shooters ammo is reliable, but of moderate velocity. So after fast shooter engages sawblade his next shot hits square before his bullet gets to sawblade.

What's the call?

Possum

No call. Hit it or missed it.

Next shooter

Call is coal the the Christmas stocking of the match director for using target distances longer than SASS recommendations.

Are you implying your bullets won't travel that far? :ph34r:

Seriously, this is a 4 or 5 foot diameter sawblade. You don't have to take a fine bead. Sure, it is further than SASS recommendations, but it is also MUCH bigger. :unsure:

Possum

If the shooter is that d@%& fast, how do you know which bullet hit which target? What difference does it make? Get some sleep!

Blackfoot :unsure:

The regular targets make a "CLANG" sound, while the sawblade is more of a "CLUNG" sound. And it really doesn't make a diff. Sleep?

Are you implying your bullets won't travel that far? :ph34r:

Seriously, this is a 4 or 5 foot diameter sawblade. You don't have to a fine bead. Sure, it is further than SASS recommendations, but it is also MUCH bigger. :unsure:

Possum

That same 4 or 5 foot diameter 75 yard sawblade is about the equivalent of a 5 or 6 inch target at recommended distances. Coal in match directors sock still works for me!

Guest diablo slim shootist

Are you alternating for 10 rounds?

what am i missing -i dont get the joke

Im too slow before my coffee :unsure:

That same 4 or 5 foot diameter 75 yard sawblade is about the equivalent of a 5 or 6 inch target at recommended distances. Coal in match directors sock still works for me!

I can't tell you the exact distance to this target, I just used 75 yds to make my point. This target is at least 50 yds and may even be a 5' sawblade. i don't know. But, I can tell you that a 4-5' sawblade at 75 yds. is a MUCH easier target than a 5-6" circle at 10 yds (which) would be a close rifle target. And I find it rather hard to believe that ANYBODY would think a 4-5' circle at 75 yds is a difficult shot with a rifle.

Possum (who's not giggling anymore)

Are you alternating for 10 rounds?

what am i missing -i dont get the joke

Im too slow before my coffee ;)

DSS,

For purposes of this discussion the shot string could be limited to just two shots as long as the far target was engaged first.

This was NOT a call that actually came up and I'm 100% sure I know the answer if it did. this was just for discussion.

possum

I can't tell you the exact distance to this target, I just used 75 yds to make my point. This target is at least 50 yds and may even be a 5' sawblade. i don't know. But, I can tell you that a 4-5' sawblade at 75 yds. is a MUCH easier target than a 5-6" circle at 10 yds (which) would be a close rifle target. And I find it rather hard to believe that ANYBODY would think a 4-5' circle at 75 yds is a difficult shot with a rifle.

That 4-5 foot circle at 75 yards translates to a 6.4 to 8.0 inch circle at 10 yards. Still below SASS recommended sizes for targets.

With rifle shooter must engage far target (4' sawblade at say 75yds), then close target (16" square at let's say 10 yds). Shooters ammo is reliable, but of moderate velocity. So after fast shooter engages sawblade his next shot hits square before his bullet gets to sawblade.

What's the call?

(This was asked just for giggles)

Possum

and a very Merry Christmas to you P.S. and rest of the gang. ;)

The shooter was smart to shoot without waiting for the reaction or sound from the far target.

I shoot clay birds in the 100 yard berm at the local range. If I miss it's not by much and after 10 shots there isn't much left of the bird.

I built it. It's 5 ft dia and about 45yds out.

I built it. It's 5 ft dia and about 45yds out.

BBWWWWAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHAAA... after reading this whole thread THAT'S flat out funny. For goodness sakes.. It's the Season of PEACE, PEOPLE.

Lighten up! The OP even said GIGGLES... shhhheeeeeshhhh I swear we could argue the color of money. Who CARES? Just gimme some! and let me shoot and have fun.

No Call... way to go... ;)

Are you implying your bullets won't travel that far? :D

Seriously, this is a 4 or 5 foot diameter sawblade. You don't have to take a fine bead. Sure, it is further than SASS recommendations, but it is also MUCH bigger. ;)

Possum

OH! 4 or 5 foot DIAMETER! I thought he had to hit it edge on, and should get a bonus!

:D

eGG

Possum, did it more than one time. The rifle targets were # 1 #2 and #3 the saw blade was #4 the call was to shoot them 4-1-4-2-4-3-4-2-4-1 we heard it 5 times.He sure was fast.HO HO HO

The anal retentive hardass says: Targets were hit in wrong order and is a P.

The anal retentive guy who takes daily doses of chill pills says: A P would be ridiculous, but as incredible as it sounds, a five foot diameter saw blade at 50 yards is slightly more difficult to hit than a 16" square at 13 yards...even if there was zero bullet drop.

Possum, I once shot a match that had a stage with 4 foot square targets at about 40 yards. That is very close to being the equivalent of a 16" square at 13 yards, but it messed with my head. They were painted to look like dice and you shot them in numerical order. Of course, the targets were fixed in place (too heavy to move), but it was explained to me that they changed the numbers on them from one match to the next. They were not hard to hit and were fun, but...they messed with my head. ;)

Just in case anyone is confused, I'm the second guy...NOT the first guy.

The call is a no call.

Shooter engaged (per stage instructions) the large target first then the smaller target. He shot it in order. At that point, I don't care which bullet struck its intended target first.

45 yds = 135 feet..... 135ft divided by ~750fps bullet = ~0.18sec flight time. It would take a heck of a shooter to have a split time less than 0.18sec between far and near target. Even if he did, I don't think I could have told which target was hit first, nor would I care. Benifit of Doubt goes to shooter.

Archived