SASS Wire Forum

How do you put a choke

Come On Christmas

Have it threaded for screw chokes. Then you can change them at the drop of a hat, or as often as you change your mind. Choke tubes are around 18-20 each. I shoot all my CAS guns with an open choke, also known as cylinder bore. Some like to have a little choke, so maybe Skeet or Improved. I think modified or tighter would be a bad idea in CAS.

I read an interesting thing in another thread about the 97 and its choke. Apparently their choke has a long taper to it so if you know the choke you want and have a good smith doing the work, he can cut and measure bit at a time to get into the tapered section at just the right point to give you the choke you want. If the barrel has already been cut and removed, then choke tubes are your only option. Smithy.

Howdy

I have used everything from full choke to cylinder bore. It doesn't really make much difference. Although I had some trouble knocking down a distant target with cylinder bore the other day, a full choked gun might have been some help. But for targets up close, you should be able to put plenty of shot on any target with any choke.

Guest diablo slim shootist

you may not need a choke we will pattern it after we cut it

and you may not see a lot of difference at close range- how

often do you shoot at clay birds anyway-not often and i still

hit with mine easily. :unsure: Diablo

All my gunz have choke tubes. In my opinion it gives ya a better pattern(less flyers)...90%of the time I use I/C but I have Mod & Full in the cart iffin I need em for a stubborn target............Bandit

You install choke tubes. The tooling is around 400 bucks and the proceedure is pretty straightforward. It can be done on a lathe or by hand. The interior of the barrel back from the muzzle is reamed out to the diameter of the tube. The threads are cut with a different tool and you're done! Screw in the choke tube and go shoot.

Oh, I forgot to mention you need to make sure there's enough barrel thickness, do this to a thin barrel and when you shoot it the muzzle comes apart like a flower. (sort of pretty but useless) If you use side pressure when reaming, you can actually cant the installation and then your shot ain't gonna go where the sights are pointing!

If you run the threading tap too deep into the barrel, you'll screw up the ledge at the back end of the tube and raise a nice little ring that will be darned near impossible to get out.

If you don't use enough/proper cutting oil, the tool will chatter. This makes for interesting new cuss words! If you screw up the threads while cutting them (easy to do) not even JB weld will make things work and the ONLY solution is whack off a couple inches of barrel and try again. (if you have enough barrel)

I have to agree with Shotgun Bandit. A little choke is much better than none. Yeah, you can get by with a Cyl. Bore, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Having patterned several guns and various chokes, I.C. (.010) seems to be the better choice for our game of CAS. It helps keep the pattern together for those close knockdowns, and still is open enough for the occasional Clay Target that is sometimes thrown.

RBK

I had 2 97's that were spreading shot from Florida to Texas. I carried my shotguns to Trulock chokes in Whigham, Georgia. One was Open Cylinder bore and the other one was More than that. With that being said these were both Norinco 97's. Had Jared thread the barrels and I bought a sack full of Chokes. It is amazing how good this works!

http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi

Do a search through the old Gun Digests for an article called "Heat It and Beat It". Complete instructions on a DIY project. Kinda what the cowboys/market hunters would do.

Archived