SASS Wire Forum

Question Cocked Rifles

Blackcat James SASS# 29509

Got several questions for our ROs out there.

First question is a rifle with a loaded magazine and left cocked with out a round in the chamber a Stage DQ, looked at the rule book and it says a cocked loaded gun is a Stag DQ, however further up it mainly mentions pistols? I would think yes but it is kinda confusing.

Second question if the shooter comes to the line with a cocked rifle and if it is a Stage DQ should the RO and or the spotters stop them before they start shooting and let them know it is a Stage DQ and have them fix the issue before they shoot or even let them take the guns and unload them since the penalty almost makes it like they did not shoot the Stage.

Happened to me today. Was not told I was Stage DQ till the end of the stage, so I just want to know for the future.

The ONLY gun you may stage cocked is an EMPTY hammered double.

IF the T/O was "on-the-job" he should have spotted your cocked rife when you came up to the firing line before you shot and so should have any loading table offical BEFORE you left the L/T.

Still, as a shooter it's "on-you", YES stage DQ.

Curious, you have been in SASS for 10+ years and you do not know this....... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

LG

Got several questions for our ROs out there.

First question is a rifle with a loaded magazine and left cocked with out a round in the chamber a Stage DQ, looked at the rule book and it says a cocked loaded gun is a Stag DQ, however further up it mainly mentions pistols? I would think yes but it is kinda confusing.

Second question if the shooter comes to the line with a cocked rifle and if it is a Stage DQ should the RO and or the spotters stop them before they start shooting and let them know it is a Stage DQ and have them fix the issue before they shoot or even let them take the guns and unload them since the penalty almost makes it like they did not shoot the Stage.

Happened to me today. Was not told I was Stage DQ till the end of the stage, so I just want to know for the future.

22. Movement is not allowed with a loaded, cocked firearm. Movement is defined by the basketball traveling rule. Whenever a shooter has a loaded, cocked firearm in hand, at least one foot must remain in place on the ground. 1st violation will result in Stage Disqualification; 2nd violation will result in Match Disqualification. This includes leaving the loading table with a cocked loaded firearm.
SHB p.24/ROI p.19

The penalty should have been assessed as soon as the violation was noticed.

...Leaving the Loading Table with a hammer not fully down on an empty chamber or with a round under the firing pin of any firearm is a Stage Disqualification.

ROl Handbook, page 10, paragraph 9B

The shooter bears the final responsibility, but the Loading Table Officer and Timer Operator are both derelict in their responsibilities.

11. Safe conditions of firearms during a course of fire are as follows:

Rifle

Safe to leave the shooters hands.

Empty, action open

Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed (restaged

for further use)

Safe for movement rifle in hand only

Hammer fully down on an expended round, action closed

Action open, round on carrier or in chamber

15. Rifles may be “staged” with the magazine loaded, action closed, hammer fully down on the

empty chamber (not on the “safety” notch), as long as the muzzle is pointed in a safe

direction—adheres to the 170safety rule, and the muzzle is never on the ground.

22. Movement is not allowed with a loaded, cocked firearm. Movement is defined by the

basketball “traveling” rule. Whenever a shooter has a loaded, cocked firearm in hand, at

least one foot must remain in place on the ground. 1st violation will result in Stage

Disqualification; 2nd violation will result in Match Disqualification. This includes leaving

the loading table with a cocked loaded firearm.

Both are a SDQ

Holstering or staging gun with hammer cocked (not fully down) or down (on a live round)

Changing location or leaving the designated loading area with a cocked gun/gun w/hammer down on live round

Snakebite

Guest diablo slim shootist

I got saved from a SDQ today by the shooter in front of me who

noticed my rifle was still cocked after i loaded it while still at the LT

wheeeew close one ! Thanks BBB i owe you one! :rolleyes:

Lumpy, Yep been shooting a while. have seen people do this before and they where stopped and they fixed it and shot other times they got a safety. I never memorized the manual cause I got a terrible memory and thats why I am not an RO and never looked it up cause I never did it before. Know all the normal ones like travel cocked revolver and such. Again I just wanted to know so if I see it I'll know the call. I doubt I'll ever do it again cause I tend to learn from my mistakes usually the hard way. Thanks to all the answers, that why I like SASS so much because there are so many good people willing to help.

I've been shooting CAS for a number of years, but I didn't know until last year that you couldn't use the "safety" notch on the rifle's hammer. I've done that since I was about 10 and shooting my grandfather's Marlin that doesn't have a safety other than that notch.

I guess I've been lucky that no one ever noticed it before.

It had never occurred to me that having the hammer pulled back to "safe" might be a violation.

I don't understand it, but, if those are the rules I'll do it, or rather, not do it.

Angus

....Curious, you have been in SASS for 10+ years and you do not know this....... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

LG

Lumpy,

Black Cat James has spent the better part of those 10 years fighting in the sand box in Iraq.

Just fyi .... :blink:

Lumpy,

Black Cat James has spent the better part of those 10 years fighting in the sand box in Iraq.

Just fyi .... :rolleyes:

Thank you for for the info. Long Jim!

Black Cat James, THANK YOU for you service :blink::D

I can NOW see why a cocked gun is NOT an issue for you :blush:;):wacko:

Respectfully,

LG

After thinking about it this evening I think I know what happened. I shoot a Henry half the time, like today. I always trip the hammer when I close the action. What I suspect happened is while I was loading the tube I raked the hammer on the table, most likely half cocking it or maybe full cocking the rifle and did not notice. Just something I will need to check. Long Jim Hancock thanks as well. Just to set the record strait I only spent three years out of the last 10 gone, 1 in GTMO and 2 one year stints in Iraq.

ummmm thought a 97 was staged with the action open same as SxS's are staged Empty, action open

JD

ummmm thought a 97 was staged with the action open same as SxS's are staged Empty, action open

JD

At a recent ROI class a shooter who used a hammer double was concerned about how it could possibly a penalty to stage his gun with the hammers cocked. We discussed the issue and found it to be OK by the rules. It was then pointed out that the hammers are cocked in the open and empty 97s and internal hammer doubles.

Archived