SASS Wire Forum

You Make The Call

Dubious Don #56333

When I told a shooter to move just as he (unseen to me due to a bad angle, props, etc) cocked his pistol, and he did move, with a cocked gun. He was shooting before I could yell "stop", so I let him empty his pistol into the targets, told him to stop, and explained what he'd done (moved with cocked pistol).

I told him up front "I was trying to save ya from a "P", and didn't see yer cocked pistol. Please go see the MD and get this reviewed, but by my lights, I gotta call a SDQ." He did, and it stood as called. I probably felt worse about blowing up his State Shoot on the first morning than he did, but thems the breaks. Next time I would do the same thing, still TRY and save a shooter a "P", HOPING I could get the "move" command out before he cranked the hammer. Ya can't save em all, but ya can try, and ultimately it is up to the SHOOTER not to do something unsafe when given coaching.

Why would that be? As long as gun is open it is hard for it to fire. Doesn't that put your shooters at a disadvantage when shooting at a club that uses SASS rules?

Hmmm...

Poor T-Bone and Nuttin' (among others) have really been at a disadvantage at WR and EOT for years. ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

When I told a shooter to move just as he (unseen to me due to a bad angle, props, etc) cocked his pistol, and he did move, with a cocked gun. He was shooting before I could yell "stop", so I let him empty his pistol into the targets, told him to stop, and explained what he'd done (moved with cocked pistol).

I told him up front "I was trying to save ya from a "P", and didn't see yer cocked pistol. Please go see the MD and get this reviewed, but by my lights, I gotta call a SDQ." He did, and it stood as called. I probably felt worse about blowing up his State Shoot on the first morning than he did, but thems the breaks. Next time I would do the same thing, still TRY and save a shooter a "P", HOPING I could get the "move" command out before he cranked the hammer. Ya can't save em all, but ya can try, and ultimately it is up to the SHOOTER not to do something unsafe when given coaching.

I remember that. I was the defending champ in GF and he also was in GF. The night before he had asked for any advice I might have even though he usually beat me at our local matches. One thing I left out was my tendency to cock the sixth round when there was movement between pistols so it was better to shoot DD on those stages.

It was discussed at length at the TG meeting that night and as bad as everyone felt, he did the deed and earned an SDQ.

This year at the new shoot here on Long Island (Melee on the Bay) I had to call an SDQ on myself. I got to the unloading table with my left gun in the holster, cocked. The RO didn't see it as it was my left gun shooting GF. I had emptied both guns and cocked the left one, then knowing I was done, I holstered and went to the shotgun. Even if the RO had seen it, I would have let go of the gun before he could stop me.

Archived