SASS Wire Forum

.38 New Colt Police

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

This may sound silly, but does anyone know if there is a source for brass that is headstamed .38 New Colt Police?

Yes, I know, it's really .38 S&W by a differnet name, but I have a reason for wanting some with this stamping.

I'll elaborate...

For my "normal" .38 S&W load, I use Remmington brass.

For a "specialty" load, using a hollow based bullet that expands to fill the grooves in one specific pistol, I use nickled Winchester brass.

I recently, while experimenting, came up with a very nice, low power load. This load, I'd like to have a few rounds available for use in smaller pocket pistols. But, I don't want to have to play with keeping things sorted in different boxes and make mistakes. (Now, my "normal" load is perfectly safe and mild enough for pocket pistols, but I'd like to have some of these lighter loads too, in case I ever get an older gun or something like that) That's when I hit on the idea of brass with the New Colt Police marking on it.

I have NO idea when the ammo makers quit marketing it under this name, or even if brass was ever available with that headstamp. But, I figured someone here might know, or perhaps have an idea of where I could try looking.

These folks list a load, never done business but you could always ask how their cases are headstamped.

This round in Remington (I thought I had a box of Winchester somewhere but it eludes me) is marked R-P 38 Colt NP

http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/cowboy_pistol_ammo.html

I just occured to me that another option would be .38/200 brass. Same question on availaiblity.

That would be the british designation, all of the examples I have don't have anything on the headstamp other than the date and arsenal. Same as 38 S&W (Not to be confoozed with 38 short Colt which is different still. Ain't old cartriges fun? :rolleyes:

If you find any old ammo marked .38 Colt New Police chances are it will be the old balloon head cases. Made for Black Powder.

Just use a black felt tipped marker on the ones you want to keep separate. Draw a line across the primer after loading using .38 S&W brass

Big Jake 1001

These folks list a load, never done business but you could always ask how their cases are headstamped.

This round in Remington (I thought I had a box of Winchester somewhere but it eludes me) is marked R-P 38 Colt NP

http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/cowboy_pistol_ammo.html

Hey, thanks! It's a start.

If you find any old ammo marked .38 Colt New Police chances are it will be the old balloon head cases. Made for Black Powder.

Just use a black felt tipped marker on the ones you want to keep separate. Draw a line across the primer after loading using .38 S&W brass

Big Jake 1001

Funny you should say that, Jake.

I recently found 2 rounds of the .38 Colt NP ammo on my Dad's old reloading bench. Where he got them, I have no idea. Well, to make a long story short, they were loaded with smokless powder, but they are indeed balloon head cases. So, I have set them aside and have no plans to reload them, unless I ever wanna try black someday.

That being said, I have seen picture of old ammo boxes that are labled .38 Colt New Police and indicate that they are smokeless cartridges.

No idea what that means, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind. It is a good one.

Load your "normal" loads in Remington brass.

Load your "specialty" loads in Win. nickle brass .....easy to tell what you have at a glance

Load your "new" loads for old pistols in .38 S&W brass with the black felt tip pen marked and you won't mix them up.

I load old balloon head cases, some as old as 1890-1892 with black powder in a 40-50 Sharps bottle-neck case for my

Remington rolling block made in the 1870's. I cut down 45-70 cases and reform them to 40-50 SBN.

Modern 45-70's are better and stronger, but I had a big supply of WWll 45-70 line throwing blanks and they are balloon head.

Big Jake 1001

I have two OLD boxes of Remington "Kleanbore" smokless ammo. These are the old green and red boxes. One is a .38 S&W with 146 grain lead bullets, the other .38 Colt New Police with 150 gr. lead. They look nearly identical and the Colt's are marked on the headstamp "REM-UMC 38 Colt NP. They are not the balloon head, but same as >38 S&W.

If you're stuck on the different headstamp, then they are out there, just might be a little pricey. Just FYI.

CW

Archived