SASS Wire Forum

44-40 in stainless? What are my options?

Showtime 20478 Life

Howdee Pards,

I am wanting to get 2 stainless steel 44-40 caliber revolvers so I can shoot black if I want to with much less fouling that 38/357 or 45.

I really like what I see, read and feel with the EMF Alchimista's with the 1860 backstrap in 44-40 with a 7.5 barrel, but alas it aint stainless. And I'd buy a Ruger NMV in stainless but they dont produce it in 44-40...

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Showtime

Don't think you have any. I don't believe anyone currently makes the .44-40 in stainless. You might be able to find some used Ruger Vaqueros, they were made in stainless. If you really want stainless and want to shoot BP, fouling really isn't much of an issue with either the .45 or .38 in a handgun. It is somewhat of an issue in a rifle although many of us BP shooters have shot thousands of rounds of .45 and .38 through our rifles without trouble. All you have to do is learn how to properly load the straight walled cases for BP.

Howdy

I agree with Larsen. Fouling and rust is nowhere near as bad with Black Powder and blued guns as many shooters think. I shoot Black Powder in my blued Colts at every match. Never have a problem with fouling or rust. You just have to learn how to load BP properly and how best to clean your guns.

As far as preferring 44-40 for a revolver over 38 or 45 when using Black Powder, it really does not make a whole lot of difference. Even though the 44-40 will seal the chambers better and prevent blowby, you are still going to get fouling blasted everywhere out of the barrel/cylinder gap and you will still get plenty of fouling in the bore. Using well crafted loads and a good cleaning regimen will go a long way towards making the guns easy to clean.

44-40 in a rifle is a whole nuther story though. A rifle is a closed system, and if you can seal the chamber well you will keep all the fouling in the bore, none will get into the action or the outside of the gun. That's where 44-40 shines.

Being a Cowboy, you have seen the skillets on Cookie's wagon. You noticed how he cooks in 'em and nothing sticks, and how he cleans 'em by just swirling some creosote bush around in 'em. That's because the pots have been seasoned from use.

You've also noticed that, around the camp, Cookie will take your head off if you touch his skillets. In fact, you'll remember that Drover that Cookie loosened his cinch strap and he fell and his drive was over?? Well, that cowboy made the mistake of washing Cookie's prized skillet in the stream one morning after breakfast. Yup, a capitol offense in Cookie's book.

Well, some folks just don't understand Cookie's attitude about seasoned iron. And, some o' them city slickers got misapprehensions about shootin' Holy Black.

Blued guns in 44-40 is what I shoot. The 73 only has to have the barrel cleaned, the shotgun is the same with just a wipe of the recoil shield, and the revolvers are very easy also. The stainless guns would be a disadvantage in bright sunlight as you would lose the front sight. Don't listen to the horror stories about the real black especially from a non-shooter and please use the real thing and not a sub.

Howdee Pards,

I am wanting to get 2 stainless steel 44-40 caliber revolvers so I can shoot black if I want to with much less fouling that 38/357 or 45.

I really like what I see, read and feel with the EMF Alchimista's with the 1860 backstrap in 44-40 with a 7.5 barrel, but alas it aint stainless. And I'd buy a Ruger NMV in stainless but they dont produce it in 44-40...

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Showtime

I sure can help you pard. I just bought a pair of .44-40 with nickel finish with 7 1/2" barrel made by Puma. They are called Westerners. I bought them from a pard named Oklahoma Tom who is along time member of SASS. His business address is t:"3BSHOOTING@EMBARQMAIL.COM". He'll treat you right. The address for the Puma Westerners can be found at http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma/..._westerner.html. These guns are made by Pietta ahd are smooth out of the box. I like them a lot.

Howdy!

Actually, cleaning 45 colt after BP is more time consuming than 44-40 or 38-40, as the bottleneck design on the later calibers does keep the fouling foward, and the recoil shield/hand/pawl/loading gate areas stay clean. (I just cleaned my 45colt old model ruger vaquero Saturday after shooting BP, and was firmly reminded why I normally shoot 44-40s with BP!)

As for stainless steel, there are still Ruger Vaqueros (old models, what I shoot) still out there. In fact, right now there are two of them, one with a 4 5/8 inch barrel and one with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, both nearly new looking, for sale on the Ruger Forum classifieds, and the prices are good to acceptable... And no, they aren't mine!

www.rugerforum.com

Don't get no Blow-by in my .45s as I fill the case with 3f far enough that the seated 250 RNFP commpresses the charge about 1/8 of an inch .....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived