SASS Wire Forum

need some info on S&W Bodyguard 38

Outlaw Gambler

Toying with the idea of picking one up. They come with the Insight Laser Sight, 1.9" barrel, and a black matte finish. Anyone have on that cares to share what you like or dislike about them. Thanks.

I have an original model 49, J Frame, nickle plated with Crimson trace grips. It is a good gun. Not a pocket pistol unless you are wearing Cargo Pants, but none the less works well in a under coat holster. I would guess that the new ones are the same size.

Snakebite

Carry a 638 everywhere. It disappears inside a vest, or coat, breast pocket. Definitely think about the air weight. I have found it to be very durable.

When I have the room, and a place to pack it, a Glock is my preference. But, the Smith is just so easy to conceal and is always discrete. I like to carry mine in a sunglasses case. Never, ever gets a second look from anyone.

You won't be sorry.

Try to find some Federal NyClad 125 grain cartridges. I've heard they are once again making them.

Guest diablo slim shootist

they make a lot of good 38s nowadays and i shoot 38s

at the SASS matches-but when im on the street my 2 snubies

are loaded with 125 gr 357 -you are never out gunned with them :)

I have handled the Smith Bodyguard and my wife has a Ruger LCR which I have shot. The Bodyguard will do the job but I think an LCR with a Crimson Trace laser grip is a superior option if you must have a laser. I really have to reach for the switch on the Bodyguard while the CT is simply on when you grip the gun.

Beau

In answer to your question, the Bodyguard is a different design as far as the cylinder latch, lockup and grips but otherwise is similar to the Model 642. It is a good pocket carry pistol and recoil is manageable but stiff with +p 38's. The laser has three settings; on, pulse, off and must be activated by a thumb or finger. I like the feel in my hand better than the Ruger LCR. It is a typical lightweight .38. Meant to be carried a lot and shot very little.

I have a S&W 649 (one of the newer ones in 357) with Crimson Trace grips (the small trim ones) and I just love it. The stainless of course makes it a might heavier than your proposed model but the profile is very similar and the grips were the smallest that CT makes for that model gun. Like previous posts, not really a pocket gun unless you're talking cargo pants. More a light jacket gun and with the light weight of yours it would fit the bill to a tee. Not sure what yours is chambered for but mine with hot 357 loads is a pain any way you look at it even with the weight of the stainless. You might get by with 38 + P as a more reasonable load. In any case I would say go for it and happy shooting. Smithy.

I have a Smith Airweight 38+p with crimsom lasergrip.

It shoots a tight 2" group at 25 yards off the bench with factory loads....

And I can use my CAS loads to practice with.......

I have the 649 Bodyguard and my wife has the 438.

Carry: My 649 fits very well in my right front pocket of my Wranglers and Levis using a Mika pocket holster or under a T-shirt using a Don Hume IWB. (During the winter, I usually carry a Commander). Cargo pants are perfect. The 438 carries is in a concealed carry purse for the wife. She carries 24/7. I can't carry at work, but carry every time I leave the house. Washington is a SHALL issue state.

Loads: We both carry the FBI load= 158 gr, semi-wadcutter, hollow points. Shoots to POA.

Getting there: We both had -42s=either 642 or 442. I went to the "baby whale" (as my bro calls it) after trying my 2" model 19 and Officer's ACP and she went through several others (Taurus 85 CH, Smith model 60, Colt DS) and looked at even more (Smiths & Rugers).

Reasons: She likes the weight and choice of SA or DA (women tend to have a weaker "squeeze"). I like the option since I mostly shoot SA revolvers but can fire DA if I need to (NOTE: I look at concealed carry as a last-ditch option==namely, if someone is within touching distance=otherwise, I walk or run away). Neither gun is horrendous in the recoil department==she carries a 41 mag for bears and I shoot up to 454 Casull. The 38s are not mouse loads but not objectionable either. The snagless option is nice. In over five years, I've never had issues with lint, etc although it certainly could be possible.

No experience with lasers.

Remember=ultimately, it's YOUR choice.

I carry a 638 in Kholster. I don't know it's there. I also carry it in my inside coat gun pocket in CC coat I bought from Sportsman's Guide. I can feel the weight there. No laser sights on it yet, I'm asking Santa for a pair. It's a handfull with Plus P's but it's not target gun. It's hard to go wrong with S&W.

I like the BG38. No regrets about it.

Comfortable grip. Easy to use - point and pull the trigger. Comfortable with Remington Express 158 gr LRN. I did not try +P ammo. Light enough to almost forget that I was carrying it.

Accuracy was OK at 7 meters for self-defense by point and shoot. I learned not to 'cowboy' shoot it rapidly one-handed, but did well with it rapidly two-handed. Pulling the trigger a little more slowly one-handed produced smaller groups.

When aiming, I tended to shoot slightly high because the front sight is about the same color as the top strap, and I would hold to see some front sight. I would like a small colored insert in the top of the front sight.

Didn't find laser bright enough for daytime use, but plenty bright for indoor or nightime use.

The cylinder release quickly became second nature to use. I'm pleased with it.

Now to find a holster to fit, speedloader, and some self-defense ammo!

I'm in Law Enforcement and have carried my M638 ever since I retired my M38 10 years ago. Thinking about it, it has been my 24/7 gun. Even when on duty with my HK 45, the 638 is with me. I've tried other pistols , but that Smith is "just right" for carrying in a pocket holster or belt holster. Shot one of those scandium models, but it just plain hurt with +P 38s.

My carry load is Speer Gold Dot +P 125s. Those 2 ounces help with Sir Newtons law of relativity. I really don't see me changing to anything else.

Got one of the new BG38s.No regrets. My laser battery only lasted 3 mo.s They are easy to change and can be found in a lot of stores. Like wal mart. Points and shoots good in either hand, . Got a Uncle Mikes pocket holster it goes every where with me.If it fits your hand go ahead and get it you will not be sorry. Comes with a soft case and in a cardboard box.

Got one of the new BG38s.No regrets. My laser battery only lasted 3 mo.s They are easy to change and can be found in a lot of stores. Like wal mart. Points and shoots good in either hand, . Got a Uncle Mikes pocket holster it goes every where with me.If it fits your hand go ahead and get it you will not be sorry. Comes with a soft case and in a cardboard box.

Hi Pard

Went to a gun show today and bought a smith 38 bodyguard and will be going to shoot it in the am tomorrow, everything i heard about it and read on it appears to be a good gun. I bought a in pants concealed holster and fits in the front of my jeans and can not be seen while carring. I Had it when i got home and my wife did not notice it and she sees everything. I will try to let you know tomorrow how it shot. I am using my cowboy loads 125gr bullet with Bullseye powder. should be fun.

Connecticut Yankee

:unsure: I have one that is chambered in 9mm, stainless steel that is a good shooter. Reloading is a snap with 'moon' clips.

Hi Pard

Well i just came back from the range after shooting my b rand new Smith 38 bodyguard and i am very disapointed. I put about 35 rounds through it and it was a job to get the gun to go into battery, i had to open the cylinder 4-5 times and reclose it and then it might fire, i had a tough time ejecting the bullets when it would not fire it was like they were jammed in the gun and i know they fit loose when i put them in and when the gun would not go into battery i would try and take the bullets out and they would not eject so it appeared that the ejector would jam them up. When it did fire it shot good and close to on target but i was not able to use the laser as it was too bright out. I was onlky 15 feet away from the target but in the house it worked fine. I was going to use this gun as a carry weapon but now i am scared to do so as if i have to use it and it will not go into battery i will not have the time to open the cylinder up 4-5 times and then shoot. So in conclusion i am going to call Smith tomorrow and see what they say and hopefully i can send it back to be fixed. I hope they can remidy the problem as i think it could be a good gun for concealed carry.

Connecticut Yankee

Funny how so many responses are about the old Bodyguard and not the new polymer one.

Two entirely different things.

I'm afraid the new one may be a piece of junk.

I would never consider one as it is now because of the laser which is a gimmick that can get you killed. I have no use for a laser and don't want to pay extra for such a toy. Smith should offer a plain jane version without it.

Gambler, if I were you I would wait a while and let S&W at least get the bugs out.

Archived