SASS Wire Forum

Reloads for Rossi 92. Problematic?

Marshal Max Henry

I just got one with an action job. Its .357 but of course I am shooting .38 I hear that they,with action jobs, are problematic if the cartrige is not 1.5" long? Now if I buy reloads from someone who does it for CAS will they be the correct length or would i have to specify?

Much Obliged

AMMO DIRECT sells a lever action round that works fine. Check with gun shops in your area and see if they reload. They will reload to your specs.

Max, Some of the '92s are sensitive to overall length, some are not so much. Since you have some ammo already, try that and see what happens. I can assure you, though, the '92's are a lot more problems without an action job than with one. It kind of depends on the skill of the gunsmith who did the job.

Bring it up to the match at T&R Ranch in Howie in the Hills tomorrow and try it out. People will have various reloads and will be happy to help you out. There should be a pretty big crowd there getting some last minute practice for the Last Stand.

Look me up there and I'll help if I can.

Cypress Sam

Max, Some of the '92s are sensitive to overall length, some are not so much. Since you have some ammo already, try that and see what happens. I can assure you, though, the '92's are a lot more problems without an action job than with one. It kind of depends on the skill of the gunsmith who did the job.

Bring it up to the match at T&R Ranch in Howie in the Hills tomorrow and try it out. People will have various reloads and will be happy to help you out. There should be a pretty big crowd there getting some last minute practice for the Last Stand.

Look me up there and I'll help if I can.

Cypress Sam

Good advice. My 92 will feed anything from empty hulls up to .357 rounds about 1.6" If it's any longer than that you have to double clutch it to get it to feed. I made up some dummy rounds of different lengths just to find out what my limits were. Most factory .38 feeds fine.

Any more than 1.6" on a 357 mag and you over spec for over all length.

I have been shooting Rossi 92 since 1992. Some have been resigned to the back of the safe as they will cycle but not at any speed. The ones I do use have been slicked up but long before the race gun action work came along. I settled on 1.58" in 357 mag cases loaded as 38s.

This has kept the rounds from stove piping or being tossed out at speed. I don't see any advantage to using 38spl cases. But I shoot 45 hand guns. I do have a new pair of 38/357 revolvers but I have yet to shoot them. I will most likely work up loads using 357 cases as I don't have 38spl brass of my own.

I have owned 4 92's with two of them being worked on by Steve Young AKA Nate Kiowa Jones. They would feed anything that I chose to shoot until the round was too long for the chamber. All lever actions are restricted to a certain OAL but guess what so are all other guns made. I don't care if it cost $50 or $50,000 I don't know why this rumor about 92's keeps coming up. They are good rifles. Now they do have some bad makers of the 92 and a person should steer clear of these guns. There is one being made now in Italy that cost a lot of money that is not as good as the Rossi that has been made for many years for different importer's. They are PUMA,EMF, Navy, Interarms and I know of one more that I am leaving out. These are for the most part the same gun made by Rossi.

Well Cliff, that's the answer. If all you have is 357 mag brass, then go ahead and use it. The idea being to use the same stuff in your rifle as in your pistols. I also shoot a Rossi 92 (Mine in 45 LC and my pistols the same) and it is the neatest thing to just grab a handfull of cartridges and go knowing it's going to work no matter what gun I chamber it in. Smithy.

Sir

On the 92 I have the most experance with it likes ammo at 1.515 to 1.530 . The one thing that seems to help the most is to use a Lee factory crimp die on rifle ammo . I think it smooths it out and run better , JMO . It may be all wrong but that is what I do .

The only other thing I can say is be sure to use a full smooth stroke on the lever , I have seen train wrecks cuased by short stroking and slamming the lever open the last little bit of the stroke , when the lifter comes up. DOne it a few? times myself.

Hope this helps

See ya down the trail

Chickasaw Bill

Archived